Perfectly executed PIT maneuver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't know... that could have gone really wrong with all that traffic. I guess if you accept the the cop knew exactly what was going to happen when he bumped the car then it is good... but if that car had spun a little bit more sideways on the asphalt it probably would have flipped and really bad things would have happened. I assume she had to have been suspected of a lot more than some minor traffic violation...

jimbo1096

Hunter
And he maintained good emotional control, never let the stop get out of control.
And the area for a PIT was good, cars going away and behind not encroaching on the area. I think it was great he did it immediately when they took off instead of chasing them who knows how many miles and possibly through crowded streets. Got them stopped right now!
Plus the way he called them out of the car on the initial stop showed there was something going on other than a normal stop where the officer approaches the vehicle and asks for ID and registration, insurance, etc.
Good job GAPD

Last edited:

kmoore

Buckeye
Well done PIT and proper tactics to get the driver out. Note how he did not step in front of the suspects car or move away from cover. He hit the car on the correct side to get it off the road and not into traffic. Also with the grassy area was better than PITing it into a guard rail or cement overpass supports. PIT also works well with a smaller vehicle like that car vs a bigger SUV/pickup. Basically the more the crash car weighs over the police car it becomes more difficult. At the conclusion of a proper PIT the crash vehicle many times stalls out.
I went trough PIT training in 1997. 2 hours of classroom and 6 on the track. Training was taking 25 at a time through that course. I was with a special group of only 12. Figured it would fun and more PITS than normal since they used 2 PIT vehicles at a time. The larger classes had to stand around and watch and wait there turn for awhile. With a student and coach in the PIT cars and same in the crash cars, 4 students at a time were driving. After the first hit and spin in a crash car I wore a neck brace for the rest of the day to prevent injury.
Different states may have different requirements before PITing anyone. Oregon it was proper if PC for an arrest was known and speed was under 35mph. Any PIT over 35 mph was only allowed if deadly force would be allowed to stop the person. That was due to the chances of causing death or injury and higher chances or roll overs.
I did not see the speed of the vehicle, but it appeared close or over 35 mph.
I never did a active PIT on a suspect. After I returned to patrol I was issued a Camaro, those were not allowed to do a PIT. Next came a Pickup and a number of water craft. Pickups don't work well against a car. It just caves in the trunk and rear fenders due to hitting far to high.
For those that don't know PIT. as I recall it came out of CA. and is somewhat based on race track maneuvers. The whole idea is to stop or prevent high speed chases. It works great when done correctly in the right environment.

Last edited:

redhawker

Buckeye
IMHO that ought to be done far more often, and what I mean is doing it quickly at the first possible opportunity. He didn't let her get even a mile down the road and stopped it right there. Much safer for the public, the officer, and probably even the suspect than to let it turn into a prolonged high-speed chase endangering everyone for an hour or two instead of less than a minute.

contender

Ruger Guru
Let's see,, it's in Ga. And Nascar & PIT maneuvers were born on the tracks in the south.
Properly done, (as this one was) it can easily get a vehicle out of the way (on a track,) or in LEO work, stop a suspect. LEO's learned that this maneuver would work because of racing.

Well done there!

Let's see,, it's in Ga. And Nascar & PIT maneuvers were born on the tracks in the south.
Properly done, (as this one was) it can easily get a vehicle out of the way (on a track,) or in LEO work, stop a suspect. LEO's learned that this maneuver would work because of racing.

Well done there!
And just like a LEO, if you do it to somebody on the track you better be ready for the altercation afterwards.

eveled

Hunter
Maybe you really had a clue at one time and now it's just the mental decline of old age....a positive thought to start the day!
Thats just mean and uncalled for. None of us are getting younger.

contender

Ruger Guru
"And just like a LEO, if you do it to somebody on the track you better be ready for the altercation afterwards."

LOL! You are so right. Many is the time such things caused fist fights in the pits. Crews & drivers. Stuff that the TV's didn't show.

And sometimes,, if you did it to a driver,, you could expect him to do it to you later on.

Latest posts