People are sure sensitive about little things, or maybe I'm just a curmudgeon

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kmoore

Buckeye
There are likely as many reasons people say what they say on Facebook or other web sites as there are people using them. Lairs, snowflakes, people only in it to disagree (stir the pot) and see how many reactions they get and try again to get more. Honest opinions and facts are lacking.
Even good people say stuff they did that is BS since few will know the truth. It's like the web gave us a lot more politicians. (people who lie just to sound good).
I finally got on Facebook last year to help promote my 2 published books and reconnect with old co workers, who are scattered all over the US. I once responded to a BS story about a SEAL Team that was brought in to kill bigfoot in the US on a open post. I said it was a good funny story, but please leave out SEAL Teams/ Special Opps/ Rangers etc out of such stories. I was blasted by people saying Bigfoot is real the the government does that type of stuff. Whether they believed or not in the BS story, I know I cannot fix stupid and would not waste another minute of my time typing and responding past my 1st statement.
Vito you were stirring the pot and were like that fish who cannot, not take a bite at the bait. And got reeled in.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I am on Facebook, I have two friends on FB, my youngest daughter(34) and my oldest friend, her God Mother! I have never posted to anyone else. If you think Social Media is accurate, has good information, can be counted on, I have a "Bridge" I would like to sell you!

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I grew up with a brother 7 years older than me. This scenario doesn't leave any room for 'hurt feelings' cause I was always the brunt of any practical joke, prank, or outright abuse he could conjure up.
I told my kids that 'hurt feelings' were a fact of life so don't make it more difficult by taking some things too seriously.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I grew up with a brother 7 years older than me. This scenario doesn't leave any room for 'hurt feelings' cause I was always the brunt of any practical joke, prank, or outright abuse he could conjure up.
I told my kids that 'hurt feelings' were a fact of life so don't make it more difficult by taking some things too seriously.
I have a brother who is 4 yrs older than i am. (71-75)He is ornery, selfish to a fault, opinionated and does not really care what others think of him. He always tells me " when that A%$%hle starts paying my bills, then they can have a say in what I do or how i do it!" Not always easy to get along with him. But I try.

Quick Draw

Bearcat
Never had time for Facebook. Then I retired and moved away. It is a great tool to keep in touch with family and friends. Even reconnected with a lot of former schoolmates. Some who have since gone to liberal colleges and/or live in big liberal cities. At first I tried presenting logical, fact based arguments as to why my opinions and beliefs were correct and they were wrong. Soon realized you can't win debating fools, idiots and liberals who only have feelings and not facts to support their beliefs. So now I just scroll past these folk and continue on my merry way. To each his own, life is just too damn short to worry about the little things.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
My father always told me to "never get into a fight with Drunks or Idiots, because neither will feel it and you won't change their mind." I can add Liberals to the list too!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
I guess in my real life I don't run into many actual "snowflakes" but they sure come out of the woodwork online. Sort of fun to get them riled up. I expect I will be suspended or banned from Facebook any minute now.

Hi,

If that were the best I could come up with when looking for something to do, I'd be looking in the mirror and asking "Can't you come up with something constructive to say?"

We've all got limited amounts of time left to ride around in circles on this rock. Why not try to leave it with positive thoughts in the minds of those left behind, rather than "Thank God that one's gone?"

Rick C

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It is not just Facebook, it is social media in general, even this forum. The internet has given anybody and everybody the right to stand on a soap box and give an opinion. It is a good idea to know where you are before you shout 'fire' in a theater. My favorite place is YouTube where you can find videos on just about anything but you can also get political opinion there as well.

blammer

Single-Sixer
Vito. Yes, people are oversensitive. and Probably yes on your being a curmudgeon (it takes one to know one). My curmudgeonly behavior is way less inhibited since I got old and retired.

I got rid of Facebook when I started to get pop-ups of pictures of grandkids that were labeled with their names even though they did not have accounts.

Plus the global soap operatics unfettered by time and space.

I keep track of my family the old fashion way: talking to them and using that 20th century email thingy.

Mike J

Hunter
I look at facebook every day. It gives me a way to keep up with a lot of different people. No, I'm not needy. I have a real life & a family.
Sometimes people get offended really easily. My wife keeps telling me, "Just because something is true doesn't mean it needs to be said." I listen to her more now than I used to but probably not as much as I should.

For whatever it is worth my favorite movie is, "The Outlaw Josey Wales." You all are welcome to like it or not but if I catch it on TV I will still sit down & watch it again.

protoolman

Hunter
Geez, you criticized the Sound of Music? What's next, are you going to call Oprah fat? You're attacking their icons!

Actually, I think I'm becoming an old complainer too.. this is one of the things I've noticed in my neighborhood... People will hire a crew to come and redo their front yard... probably spending a couple thousand dollars at least... then the weekly free paper gets thrown in front of their house and they leave it there to get rained on... run over in the driveway or such and just sits there for the next one to show up and they pile up two or three before finally getting picked up.... who is so lazy they can't pick up trash in the yard they just spent money on?

I agree with you about The Sound of Music but I did fall in love with July Andrews the 2nd time I saw the movie at a theater in about 1972.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
What isn't mentioned in the movie is that the Baron was a decorated WW I uboat commander. He was highly opposed to the Annschluss. But his reasons had nothing to do with opposing Hitler. He was simply a nationalist who wanted his homeland to remain free.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Facebook is there and is what it is. If you bother listening to the idiots you can laugh at their idiocy or you can try to take them seriously. My only use of Facebook & Twitter is to keep in touch with cousins in Australia and the Islands. On the rare occasions I've felt the need to comment on the open topics the idiots get a standard answer... You have a right to your opinion, rest assured I will give it all the consideration it deserves. Oddly enough that phrase has gotten me banned on two occasions.

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
I'll admit to being a Facebook user, mostly to see photos of the grandkids, and to irritate Leftists, but sometimes I still get surprised with how sensitive some people can be. Someone (not anyone that I know) started a comment thread about favorite movies that you have watched numerous times. Granted that this thread was not looking for critical comments, just personal favorites, but I couldn't help commenting when some male (I assume from the name) said that his favorite movie, which he has watched many, many times, is "The Sound of Music". I merely stated that this movie makes me nauseous with its sweetness and that as a movie, it sure doesn't hold up well. I said that some of the songs were good, and that I enjoyed the movie when I was younger, but I'm grown up now. You would not believe the torrent of angry, almost hysterical comments followed my mild criticism of this movie. Literally a few dozen people went half crazy that I had the temerity to criticize someone's favorite movie. I responded with "OK Karen, I get that you are upset." which unleashed another slew of outraged comments.

I guess in my real life I don't run into many actual "snowflakes" but they sure come out of the woodwork online. Sort of fun to get them riled up. I expect I will be suspended or banned from Facebook any minute now.

Well, if I might offer this....usually in posts like that, people are being asked to share PERSONAL favorites of theirs.....whether it be movies or music. They do so, because it means something special to them. Myself, I happen to have a small collection of some of the most influential classical movies I recall seeing over the years....Sound of Music being one of them. Granted I'm not a freak about it, but have it in the collection. I choose these for a variety of reasons, acting, music, cultural influence, cinematography, actors casted, etc.

So, people share their selections in Comment, on Posts like that, because for whatever reason it meant something personal to them....they are NOT really looking in Reply another person's critique of the movie....or favorite album...etc.
When I see Posts like that, if I decide to participate (mostly I don't), I just share my personal favorites and move on.

Last edited:

Latest posts