People are getting used to seeing armed citizens (or not)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
Had to skip the last few pages. I'm not in favor of open carry in public. I can find no reason to expose non gun owners/folks uncomfortable with our firearms as I've seen the reaction from those uncomfortable with firearms. I go to great length to keep mine out of sight. I can find absolutely no reason to advertise our carry rights. No reason to put it in their face as there are many against us.
Personally, I feel halfway safe when I see open carry. I often wonder why they carry open, how much training they have and can they hit the target. Honestly, I feel those that open carry are making a in your face statement. That applies to public places only.
I agree. I've carried concealed for 40 years and have no desire to open carry.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
I think carry needs to become more casual for people to be comfortable with. A nice designer holster for a dressy 1911 here and there on a properly dressed person would be good for us. Safe firearm handling and marksmanship should be taught in schools. Face it OWB is the most comfortable option available. Presenting yourself as something other than a thug helps as well. I'm pretty sure most people see me carrying think I'm a retired cop or something. Deep concealment generally means uncomfortable IWB setups with middling small guns or pocket guns. Sure a jacket can cover most of your "sins" but sometimes you don't feel like a jacket. I remember back in 2014 when DC' s firearm restrictions were all ruled Unconstitutional. Legally DC was Constitutional Carry for 2 weeks. I barely got a look.
If you and I had an under belly holster, it would be concealed.

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
True story: an office worker was very concerned about a picture of a handgun that had been printed on one of the company printers and reported it to the office manager. Fearful of "possible future" incident and wanted the person who printed out the picture to be "watched" for any potential negative behavior! The person doing the reporting was of course from a notorious anti-gun eastern state (well indoctrinated and over the age of sixty). It's not a NEW thing! Fear of weapons (guns) is and has been prevalent in the USA for a very long time!

Danny

Single-Sixer
MO has always been an 'open carry' state but doing so was not common. We went to Constitutional carry a while back and there was a flurry of Tom, Dick, & Harry walking around with their gun outside their pants. The novelty wore off for some but not all. It's been whittled down to the folks who are dedicated to being armed and seems that the acceptance (or at least the avoidance of an armed citizen) has mellowed out. Neat, well dressed folks with a holstered handgun are common. Every trip to town, I notice open carry here and there and also notice that others don't seem to be as touchy about an armed person as used to be. The exception seems to be those from other places.
A few days back, I was filling up with gas and had some extra cans to fill as usual. In the process of setting the cans back in the pickup bed, my handgun was clearly visible. Across the pump island I heard this sound that closely resembled an old whitetail doe who'd just caught a whiff of my scent. When I looked for the source, there was a middle aged female rapidly re-entering her car AND LOCKING THE DOOR.
Huh, what was I missing????? I looked around but actually no one else on that side of the convenience store. I sneaked a look and the female was sitting in her car with eyes wide and her phone in her hand. Still wondering what was up, I casually shuffled around washing my windshield until I could see her vehicle's plate. NEW YORK, that explains a lot.
I don't know if she actually called the cops but I just drove away leaving her sitting there seemingly frozen in place.
What does alarm/scare me is seeing cops armed with subs in Europe. Seeing you walking around with one would not stress me out.

Danny

Different areas have different perceptions.
My very rural area is only a few years beyond 'a gun rack and a 30/30 in every pickup back window'. I'm guessing that even today well over 50% of pickups not driven by a 'necktie wearing transplant' have a firearm in the cab.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
I'll never get used to grown men 9 months pregnant, in public wearing shorts and flip flops, crocs, or sandals and those pansie looking short girl socks.

I'll never get used to grown men 9 months pregnant, in public wearing shorts and flip flops, crocs, or sandals and those pansie looking short girl socks.
No sox.

Attachments

• IMAG0068_BURST009.jpg
    IMAG0068_BURST009.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 60
I'll have you know that I wear Tenners none of those pansy flip flops, crocs, or sandals for me but I'm only 8 months pregnant. :) My 6 pack abs are more of a 12 pack ok a case.

I wear shorts about 5 months out of the year... but I don't own a pair of flip flops, sneakers, or any of those Chinese plastic things... I only wear boots when out in public. I even have a dress pair of hiking / work boots for church.

Now I do have a pair of black oxfords I wear on occasion for dress... bought in 1975 and used only for Saturday morning inspections for 9 months.

Mike J

Hunter
I can't stand to wear flip flops. I don't like having something in between my toes. However, I might be guilty of wearing a pair of slides (rubber sandals) around the house, bumming around. I do wear boots to work, boots or tennis shoes bumming around-dress shoes when appropriate, etc.

Since I've retired I don't voluntarily wear pants. If it's above freezing and I'm not going to a Wedding, Funeral or something I'm in shorts and Crocs. I started wearing Crocs when I had Planar Fascitis. They're pretty much all I wear when not on my motorcycle.

Paul B

Hunter
I have a dude that at one time was probably my best friend. Unfortunately, he married about the ugliest hag in existence. She is also more antigun than Diane Feinstein. I mean viciously rabidly so. My buddy likes guns. He has to keep then at a friends house because she will not allow them in HER house. She knows I'm a gun nut from the get go. She will not allow my friend to even speak to me and I'm a "bad influence" on him. Guess it's been at least 25 years or more since I last saw him. The sad thing is if it wasn't for me, he wouldn't have been around for him to marry her. We were double dating at the Russian River in northern California back in the late 1950s and my buddy got caught in a hole. The RR is notorious for sudden swirls of current that will literally suck you under. Scary as hell the first time it happens to you. best way to handle it is grab a quick bit of air and ride it out. Usually spits you out in less than a minute. I grabbed the nearest air mattress and used it to pull him out. That's the good news. The bad news it was under the read end of his bride to be and she got a bruise. There was also an incident where he was accused of a serious crime by his older sister. Problem is, he had an iron tight alibi, me and my Grandfather. it's a very sick thing and I won't go into it but if he'd been found guilty, odds are he would have had a very long stay in prison.
Paul B.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
If you don't feel the threat is serious enough to get fully dressed like a grown man, I can't see it being serious enough to need a gun like a grown man would carry. May be just learn to scratch their face with your car keys.

Me, I'm strictly a jeans and substantial shoe guy. Could be boots too. Mostly Hawaiian shirts and if not brightly colored similar cut. In other words mostly invisible here.

My youngest dresses somewhat similar except a tucked shirt and something to cover his pistol. His older brother typically dresses like the river rat he is unless it snows. His pistol is under some sort of baggy shirt.

Oh did I mention they're both law enforcement. Never judge a book by its cover. It could really hurt one day.

Danny

Single-Sixer
I'll have you know that I wear Tenners none of those pansy flip flops, crocs, or sandals for me but I'm only 8 months pregnant. :) My 6 pack abs are more of a 12 pack ok a case.
I wear Crocs, but ONLY in "fruitcake colors". Ok, I pretty much exclusively wear fruitcake colors in every bit of clothing.

Danny

Last edited:
If you don't feel the threat is serious enough to get fully dressed like a grown man, I can't see it being serious enough to need a gun like a grown man would carry. May be just learn to scratch their face with your car keys.
I can easily carry any number of firearms wearing shorts and a T shirt. LCP in the pocket is a slam dunk. Max 9 with optic or P11 IWB 3 o'clock no problem. If I need more than that I can add a button up shirt over the T shirt and carry my 357sig in a shoulder rig. Now that it's cooler I can shoulder my 44mag under a jacket while wearing my shorts and Crocs. If I need more than that I'll Open Carry my beltfed. I'm waiting for my Bond Arms 45 ACP to come in. That'll fit almost anywhere as well.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
I can easily carry any number of firearms wearing shorts and a T shirt. LCP in the pocket is a slam dunk. Max 9 with optic or P11 IWB 3 o'clock no problem. If I need more than that I can add a button up shirt over the T shirt and carry my 357sig in a shoulder rig. Now that it's cooler I can shoulder my 44mag under a jacket while wearing my shorts and Crocs. If I need more than that I'll Open Carry my beltfed. I'm waiting for my Bond Arms 45 ACP to come in. That'll fit almost anywhere as well.
Keep tell'n yourself that.