Peep and front sights for M77?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Hello,

I am thinking about getting an M77 Hawkeye .308 standard and I would like to use a peep sight with it. It appears that NewEngland has a peep sight that I like and I believe is supposed to work on the M77. So my question then has to do with the front sight.

Since the M77 doesn't come with a front sight is this something that a gunsmith adds? I don't know anything about adding sites so I'm just looking for a bit of advice and education regarding installing sites.

Thanks,
Dennis

45flattop

Single-Sixer
The NECG peep sight works in any Ruger base made for Ruger's own
proprietary rings, not the model of M77 that takes Redfield or Leupold
pattern rings and bases. Any good gunsmith ought to be able to install a Ramp style front sight for you. I believe that Brownell's carries some that
can be attached to a smooth barrel, Williams is the name of the maker
I remember but perhaps not the only one they carry.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
45flattop":1a5u9gp8 said:
pattern rings and bases.
So I'm thinking that a new gun (model 7110 I believe it is) would have the proprietary integral mounts and thus the NECG peep sight would work? Sorry to sound so unknowledgeable but I just don't know much about guns - yet.

Thanks,
Dennis

Otony

Blackhawk
Dennis":3fef8hrp said:
45flattop":3fef8hrp said:
pattern rings and bases.
So I'm thinking that a new gun (model 7110 I believe it is) would have the proprietary integral mounts and thus the NECG peep sight would work? Sorry to sound so unknowledgeable but I just don't know much about guns - yet.

Thanks,
Dennis

You are correct. The M77s that took a Redfield or Leupold (or Weaver for that matter) base have not been made in quite some time. Look at the Brownells catalog and you will see quite a few choices for front sights, including some from NECG that are a band type, similar to what Ruger uses on their #1 and 77s equipped with iron sights. You will need to consult with a good 'smith to pick the right overall height and band diameter to fit your barrel.

A forward thinking gunsmith can probably install a band front sight using a space age adhesive, thus negating the need for drilling and tapping, or expensive refinishing due to soldering. In fact, you should be able to "glue" it on yourself.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
45flattop and otony,

Thank you so much for the informative responses! You folks are a great example of how these online forums can really be helpful.

Thanks again!

Dennis

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
NECG, which makes that peep sight, also makes front sights that look pretty good.

That said, I have purchased front sights from Ruger in the past. I think I paid about $50.00 for the most recent one.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Dennis":15g5h94e said:
Hello,

M77 Hawkeye .308 standard

Thanks,
Dennis

I feel like a real shoot from the hip dummy, sorry Dennis, I missed the
above quoted portion of your original post. Of course the NECG peep
sight will fit any new Ruger M77 MARK II I'll be interested to know just
which solution you choose for a front sight, I have a M77/22 R model
that is slick barreled and shoots like a dream with a Leupold RF Special
scope on it but iron sights would be good as a backup.

pete44ru

Hunter
FWIW, if you intend to purchase the peep sight from New England Custom Gun, purchase their matching Masterpiece front sight ramp, with a proper height Ruger-type insert and the bead type of your choice ( Ivory/Gold/FO).

A NECG cust service tech will be able to tell you the proper combo.

Ryanusmc

Bearcat
I have a peep from them on my m77 mkll in 7x57. I had a local gunsmith install a ramp I had laying around. Cost me $40. I absolutly love it. I can remove it, put on a scope in warne qd ring, and back again with the poi staying put. I recently put a new stock on and the poi didn't shift at all.

2 thumbs up for the NECG peep

Latest posts