Peening in P345s?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onesureshot

Bearcat
I was at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Midvale Utah day before yesterday and looked at a bunch of different handguns. I have seen the pics of peened SR9 barrels here, so naturally I wanted to see if I could see anything on the SR9 I looked at at SW. On the very front, top part of the barrel block I could see a faint flair upwards and back that looked like the pictures of the peened barrels I have seen here. I really like the looks and feel of the SR9, but just can't bring myself to buy one until they get the problem worked out. I was saddened to see a brand new gun, still on the dealer's shelf showing signs of this problem. The next pistol I looked at was a P345. Much to my surprise I could see the same flair on the front, top of the barrel block. At first I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me, but had a couple other guys check it out too and they could all see the same thing. One guy even pointed out that it was shinier than the rest of the barrel, so it was pretty obvious is is rubbing and starting to peen before it has even been shot.

Has anybody else seen or heard of this issue in the P345s? I looked at a P90 too and it was nice and square and showed no signs of anything the the other two pistols did.

hksigman

Bearcat
It could be shiny from the barrel fitting process. Just racking the slide won't exert enough force to peen the barrel.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
hksigman":1ihy8q2v said:
..... Just racking the slide won't exert enough force to peen the barrel.

It did on my SR9 when it came back with the second new barrel. Working the slide about a dozen times peened it enough to catch my fingernail.