Pearl Harbor Day rememberance

Help Support Ruger Forum:

6GUNSONLY

Hunter
Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
On December 7, 1941, more than 350 Japanese planes attacked Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, killing 2,390 American servicemen and civilians and wounding 1,282. The attack sank or damaged eight battleships, three cruisers, three destroyers, and one minelayer, and destroyed 188 aircraft. It took four years and the full military-industrial capability of the United States to defeat Japan.

There was no more devastating surprise attack on the United States until 9/11.

After the attack, President Roosevelt stated: "December 7, 1941 — a date which will live in infamy — the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan. … Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might, will win through to absolute victory. … With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounded determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph — so help us God."

And they did. I'm grateful for the brave men and women who died on this date and in the 4 years to follow so that we might remain free.

ronto

Buckeye
"I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve"
-Admiral Yamamoto, Japanese commanding officer in charge of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
Yamamato lived in the states went to school here for a time and loved America. A brilliant man who knew it was a mistake but saluted and did what his govt wanted. Shame, maybe he could have talked Tojo out of it but highly unlikely.

I’m glad I got to Pearl and visited Arizona and Missouri, every American should try to get there once in their lives.

Last edited:
Last edited:
A few lessons to be learned from Pearl Harbor.

1) You are at war whenever the other side says so. You don't always choose when or where.

2) Never underestimate your enemies. They can and will surprise you.

3) Don't carry all your eggs in the same basket. If our carriers had been "home", the war in the Pacific would have
lasted much longer, and may have had a different outcome.

4) Don't assume you have military superiority over your enemy. It all comes down to tactics, strategy, morale and determination, and equipment. At the beginning of the war, the Mitsubishi Zero was arguably the best fighter in the world. We were not prepared.

5) Our own government is not above sacrificing the lives of service personnel to achieve politically desirable goals.
FDR wanted to go to war, but the American public did not. He knew about the attack in advance. Let that sink in.

None of this is meant to detract from the heroic Patriots that answered the call. They have my deepest respect.

This was not the first or the last time our servicemen have been used as political pawns. May those that so used them burn in Hell. They deserved better.

As stated we were lucky that the carriers were not in port.
Some of the mistakes the Japs made were.
Attacking on a Sunday rather than during the week. More Sailors would have been on the Ships and more Soldiers on the bases which would have caused more casualties.
Not attacking the Subs.
Not attacking the Fuel Farm or the Dry Docks.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I never forget this day.

My Dad served, as did 3 of his brothers. We lost only one,, and we feel fortunate it wasn't worse.

Today,, I went deer hunting and as I sat there, I was easily able to reflect upon what day it is.
We watched a few things this past weekend about Pearl. One was how a Arizona survivor was cremated, & his ashes returned to the ship. I knew about it,, but had never seen anything on the service performed. I kept thinking; "Gee, I wish I was one of the divers to have the honor of returning a sailor to his home ship."

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I was thinking about the Day when I got up this morning. I was very young and have little memory of the day, except I remember men saying something like, "The Japs bummed (sic) Pearl Harbor." At that time, a bum was something dropped from airplanes.

Bob Wright

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
LIved out on Ford Island in 1947/48 and could see the Arizona lying out there. Yes, Those who had served aboard the Arizona have the privilege of having their ashes placed aboard her. The other sad part of the attack was that a "NEW" radar station spotted the planes but "assumed" it was an expected flight arriving from California. It HAS BEEN CONFIRMED that a Navy ship DID sink on the the Japanese mini-attack submarines off Oahu just before the attack started.

CHEVYINLINE6

Bearcat
My wifes parents were living off base at Pearl Harbor during that time. My late father inlaw was out at sea on the U.S.S. Lamson during the attack and my late mother inlaw witnessed the attack from their home. I still have my mother inlaws civilian ID card from there. My father inlaw spent 25 years in the Navy and then retired and went to work at Travis Air Force and later worked at Mare Island Navel shipyard. While still in the Navy he had a speaking part in the 1950 movie ( American Guerrilla in the Philippines ) Alot of Navel history in our family. My wife and I were both born on Navel bases.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
LIved out on Ford Island in 1947/48 and could see the Arizona lying out there. Yes, Those who had served aboard the Arizona have the privilege of having their ashes placed aboard her. The other sad part of the attack was that a "NEW" radar station spotted the planes but "assumed" it was an expected flight arriving from California. It HAS BEEN CONFIRMED that a Navy ship DID sink on the the Japanese mini-attack submarines off Oahu just before the attack started.
PBS did a show on the mini sub some years back. They found near the mouth on the harbor( very deep water). Cameras got some great footage of it laying on the bottom. The conning tower had a destroyer round through one side and out the other. USS Ward fired the first shot of the day.

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer

The USS Vestal was there, right alongside the Arizona...

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
My grandfather’s last ship was the USS Vestal. He had been medically retired earlier in 1941 after a heart attack. Several days after the attack he made a miraculous recovery and returned to the navy.

My mom made it clear he wanted revenge, pure and simple. He never went to sea again instead he was stationed in San Francisco. He died in late 1942 from another heart attack he was never able to extract his revenge. But his two sons sure as heck did.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Use to have ( may still somewhere) have a post 1941 dollar with "HAWAII" stamped in RED across it. It was issued just in case the Japanese ever attacked again and captured Hawaii so that all the money could be cancelled.

Latest posts