PCP Max Magazines Dropping Out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I bought a LCP Max 380 a few months ago. I took it to the range several times putting 50 rounds through it each time. I was hitting everything left and every so often the magazine would drop out on to my pinky. I have been shooting many years and have several other Rugers. I contacted the company and they had me send it in. They replaced the frame, slide, and barrel. Their service was awesome. I took it back to the range today and the aim was what I expected and I was hitting groups of 5 in 3 inches at 7 yards. Problem is, magazines fell out 3 times over the 50 rounds that I shot again. Is this happening to anyone else? It must be me. Do I have to hold it in some special way? I can't imagine how I might be hitting the eject button but apparently I must be. Is this just not the pistol for me? This is a bummer because with the aim thing taken care of I was thinking I was going to like it. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Have one of your friends shoot it to see if they have same results.

I have the same issue with my LCP max. My thumb presses the mag release during recoil from time to time. Mine also shoots left at 7 yards, and I find that it much more difficult to shoot well than the lc9, P365, G43. Also the mag follower fails to activate the slide lock on an empty magazine when the gun is cycled manually. I have read where Ruger knows of this problem but claims it does not occur during live fire. I have not talked to Riger myself. For me, the LCP Max is a bit of a disappointment, whereas the LCPII in .22 has been a joy.

"Mine also shoots left at 7 yards"
Old timers would say that's an indication of 'pushing' the trigger. Very easy to do with the smaller pistols.
Yup, I have shot bullseye and agree with your point, but in this case I don't have this issue with other small rugers inparticular, such as LCP II .22, 9mm LCS Pro. The LCP max is a problem. Could be me, and the mag release issue is almost certainly me, but shooting about 6" left at 7 yards despite my most careful efforts is a frustration.

SamV

Buckeye
I had the same issue with my lcp. I tried adjusting my grip different ways with no improvement. Clearly my thumb was depressing the magazine button enough to cause the magazine to drop. A Hogue grip seemed to add just enough thickness to the grip to reduce the likelihood of depressing the release. I called Ruger, and they said to try a different magazine to see if that would eliminate the problem. They sent me a new magazine and so far, I have not had another magazine drop. But I have only run maybe a hundred rounds through the new magazine. Personally, I think the magazine release button is too tall for such a tiny grip.

pyth0n

Buckeye
I had problem with the mag popping out while pocket carrying, in the waist band carry. I contacted Ruger & they were aware, (so I was told), because of he thicker grip & the release sticking out beyond the grip I suggested a stronger latch spring. Don't know what they'll do.
What I did was use a Glock latch spring. It fits in the retention slot, but just has to be shortened to the length of the Ruger spring. The Glock spring is .003" thicker than the Ruger spring. Made a huge difference.

DavidNP

Bearcat
I have the same problem with my LCP max and I have deliberately held the gun with one hand and kept all my digits away from the mag release and the mags keep falling out. I don't have any accuracy issues that I have discovered yet though- seems to shoot ok when the mags aren't falling out. Ruger sent me a new mag release spring and mag release. The mag release looks identical, but the spring looks thicker. Swapped it out and went the range today - same issues. Calling them again in the AM. I have video of mags falling out, before and after parts swap.