PC9 Slide Doesn't Lock Back after last round in mag fired

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lunker

Bearcat
I have tested with four different magazines, so I know that it isn't that. I just bought the gun so i can't say 100% whether this is a new problem. The seller assures me that it never happened for him, but also that he hasn't shot it in a long time (why he sold it to me in the first place). I believe him. As a side note, the gun's insides are really grimy amd filthy. I took her apart and will give a thorough cleaning. Hopefully that solves it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything I should look for in the slide lock that could be malfunctioning? Are there different versions of the recoil springs, like one for regular and one for +p and +P+ ammo? Perhaps I have the very stout springs. I have the ghost ring model, if that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance.

Lunker

Bearcat
blume357":5j9za9co said:
I'm not going to help here, but are you sure the bolt is supposed to lock back?

I have to admit I have two but I can't remember if it does on mine or not.

It doesn't lock back when you pull back the bolt on an empty mag, but it does lock back after shoot a magazine empty. I only know for sure because it said so in the manual and because I owned (and foolishly sold) one a week earlier.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
I,ve got a PC9 and a PC4 and the same thing happens to both about every third or fourth mag. Mine also will not lock back with a empty mag. inside.I never really thought about it because they function great otherwise.I would be interested in any info if available thanks,dusterman

metro man

Bearcat
Like most semi auto firearms, it should lock back on an empty mag. I have found that failure to lock back in other semi autois usually was due to a bad mag spring. HOWEVER, when my PC9 experienced this a few years ago, back it went to Ruger and was returned fixed. But just today, the problem returned, with all 6 mags. Thinking it has to be a problem with the slide lock position, which is fastened to a plastic frame. Will spend tomorrow working on it and advise.

instructor

Single-Sixer
I have a PC 9 and to lock the bolt back w/o a magazine installed, you need to squeeze the thin metal part on forward part of the trigger guard, just like the 10/22 rifles, very similar trigger group. Also need to lock back the bolt to remove barrel as mentioned in the owner's manual. I find the Ruger PC 9 to be a very reliable and accurate firearm and after some few hundred rounds find no fault with it.

Check the area where the mag follower SHOULD contact the bolt catch. I see this quite often when sorting out functional issues with 'junk yard dog built' AR platforms. Sometimes these little parts get tweeked or the magazines' little contact shelf get worn/damaged.
Next is to make sure there's not some sort of debris limiting the bolt travel. It's possible the bolt can cycle far enough to pick up a round from the magazine but not far enough for the bolt catch to engage.
I've not had any issue with my PC9 using 3-4 different brand of mags but I don't shoot it much, either.

metro man

Bearcat
Check the area where the mag follower SHOULD contact the bolt catch. I see this quite often when sorting out functional issues with 'junk yard dog built' AR platforms. Sometimes these little parts get tweeked or the magazines' little contact shelf get worn/damaged.
Next is to make sure there's not some sort of debris limiting the bolt travel. It's possible the bolt can cycle far enough to pick up a round from the magazine but not far enough for the bolt catch to engage.
I've not had any issue with my PC9 using 3-4 different brand of mags but I don't shoot it much, either.
That was my plan when I have the time.

metro man

Bearcat
The latest in my quest to repair my PC9 slide lock issue. A call to Ruger revealed no parts available and no service offered. They offered to exchange the rifle for a new one but did not make a very good offer. The malfunction has occurred twice, which leads me to believe Ruger knew of the problem and hence the discontinuation of the rifle. Now Ruger wants me to believe that I can trust that the new model will not go bad and be left hanging again?