PC40 Carbine and everything .40 S&W gone forever

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bear007

Bearcat
I bought a PC 9 Carbine a little over a year ago and love shooting it. After the 1st of the year I thought I would go buy a PC 40 Carbine and pair it with my old SR40 for a Go Bag or car bag. The last time I looked on the website (it's been a few months) it was there but not any more. I also noticed, trying to search by caliber, that Ruger has discontinued all .40 S&W completely. Just my luck when I was going to go buy one. I haven't found a single Ruger PC 40 Carbine anywhere in the last few months, somebody liked them all.

It just seemed awfully strange to me looking at other calibers that Ruger is still producing in some guns, that most people have no idea about, while dropping the .40 S&W. I understand a lot of shooters are opting for a 10 mm over a .40 S&W but I don't get it. My understanding is that most commercially available 10 mm ammo is only loaded to the same specs as a .40 S&W. So what is all the craze about to pay $10 - $15 or more for every box of under powered 10 mm? Just to say, "I got a 10. What do you have?" And if you want to say how much better the 10 mm is over the .40 S&W ... then why is 9 mm selling better?

The PC9 and PC40 have not been made since 2006. And fortunately I own one of these most wonderful PC40 carbines.

The recent PCC series, however, you're right. Before I could even find a PCC in .40 to buy, they've vanished from the website. There's a couple dealers across the country that still have them in inventory.

I think enough internet experts have professed the .40 S&W to be dead, and enough sheep have read that, I think finally it's becoming a self-fulfilled prophesy. But interesting to me, I've talked to a lot of cops that carry a .40, and they all carry .40 because it is a superior cartridge to the 9mm.

hittman

Staff member
There's 4 or more agencies in my area who all issued G22's in 40S&W.
When it was time to update their weapons, ALL went to either 9mm or 45ACP.

I don't know what ( if anything ) was wrong with the 40 but …. Seems odd that's just a coincidence. Maybe Glock pushed it? Dont know but all stayed with Glock.

I don't know what ( if anything ) was wrong with the 40 but …. Seems odd that's just a coincidence. Maybe Glock pushed it? Dont know but all stayed with Glock.

Glock's original problem with the .40S&W (unsupported case heads & "Glocked brass") was corrected years ago, so I would guess it's often a matter of ammo cost, magazine capacity, and more recoil-sensitive shooters, all of which tend to favor the 9mm. And for agencies that want a big bore, .45 is obviously bigger than .40!

If the Democrat party manages to pass another gun & magazine ban, the .40 will come roarin' back in popularity, just like it did after the Clinton ban.

bear007

Bearcat
I don't know who started dismissing the .40 since it is still a great cartridge and still widely in use. If I can't find a Ruger PC Carbine in .40 (I don't know anything about the older ones that were discontinued in 2006) I may have to look at the Kel-tec sub2k, they still make it in .40 but I haven't figured out which mags I'd use with that.

I don't know who started dismissing the .40 since it is still a great cartridge and still widely in use. If I can't find a Ruger PC Carbine in .40 (I don't know anything about the older ones that were discontinued in 2006) I may have to look at the Kel-tec sub2k, they still make it in .40 but I haven't figured out which mags I'd use with that.

I had a 1st generation Sub2000 in 40 cal, that used Beretta 96 mags. It was reliable and more accurate for me than a handgun, but I found the sights almost unusable - I had to sorta 'scrunch' my face in at a weird angle, to get the sights lined up. A good friend (with different shaped anatomy) had better luck with it, and took it off my hands. I've never tried one of the current (2nd gen) Sub2Ks, so maybe they're different.

Now that Ruger has dropped the .40 PCC (which I had also planned to buy this year), I'm hoping Smith & Wesson will offer their new M&P FPC in .40 S&W:

I've never owned one of their M&P auto pistols, but having an FPC in .40 S&W that used M&P pistol mags would probably be enough of an excuse!
:)

Cholo

Staff member
I had a 1st generation Sub2000 in 40 cal, that used Beretta 96 mags. It was reliable and more accurate for me than a handgun, but I found the sights almost unusable - I had to sorta 'scrunch' my face in at a weird angle, to get the sights lined up.
The factory rear sight on a sub 2000 really is useless. The aperture was too small and the rear sight set too low. Changing it out to a M*CARBO notch sight fixes it up nice and you get a normal cheek hold. It's much less likely for the bolt to snatch a patch of beard, too. They say it won't stand up when the 2000 is unfolded, but mine does every time. I know it's a moot point in that yours is gone, but it might help someone else.

Select "notch". Even their peep is taller with a bigger aperture.

Yaworski

Bearcat

Not enough testosterone to handle the forty.

The factory rear sight on a sub 2000 really is useless. The aperture was too small and the rear sight set too low. Changing it out to a M*CARBO notch sight fixes it up nice and you get a normal cheek hold. It's much less likely for the bolt to snatch a patch of beard, too. They say it won't stand up when the 2000 is unfolded, but mine does every time. I know it's a moot point in that yours is gone, but might help someone else.

Select "notch". Even their peep is taller with a bigger aperture.

Well, I guess I should add a new 40 cal Sub2K to the list of possibilities!
Thank you!
:)

harley08

Blackhawk
There is one and only listed on gubbroker = 979102262 - It is not cheap! - Hope this helps!
Rocko.