PC40 Carbine and everything .40 S&W gone forever

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just never developed an affinity for the 40 short and weak.

I came to the conclusion years ago, that all cartridges are crap. A lot of 9mm fans claim it's ideal because (fill in the blank), and everything else is crap because (fill in the blank). Ditto for a lot of the .45 guys, the .357 guys, the 10mm guys, the .44 guys, the 5.56 guys, the .308 guys, the 6.5 guys, the 12 gauge guys, you name it, all for different (fill in the blank) reasons. Bottom line, if you add it all up, is that all of 'em are crap!

As for me? I shoot a lot of the 'popular' calibers - but I REALLY enjoy getting bullets and cases for a penny or two each, because I prefer shooting a supposedly 'dying' cartridge that other guys don't like!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I shoot mostly 357 Sig and 10mm in my Glocks. The Underwood ammo is priced competitively and packs a much greater punch=also available in hard cast "thumpers" for bear.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I came to the conclusion years ago, that all cartridges are crap. A lot of 9mm fans claim it's ideal because (fill in the blank), and everything else is crap because (fill in the blank). Ditto for a lot of the .45 guys, the .357 guys, the 10mm guys, the .44 guys, the 5.56 guys, the .308 guys, the 6.5 guys, the 12 gauge guys, you name it, all for different (fill in the blank) reasons. Bottom line, if you add it all up, is that all of 'em are crap!

As for me? I shoot a lot of the 'popular' calibers - but I REALLY enjoy getting bullets and cases for a penny or two each, because I prefer shooting a 'dying' cartridge that a lot if guys don't like!

Bullet placement is key!

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
Kel Tec has a $100 rebate on the Kel Tec Sub2000 carbines till June 1st as well. I have a Sub2000 9mm carbine and just ordered one in .40 caliber. I drilled out the rear peep on the 9mm and it is a big difference in usability of the factory sights but I plan to put a red dot on it also.
PS A lot of the factory 10mm loads are not warmed up a little 40S&W loads. Most will do at least 200fps faster than the 40S&W loads. The difference between a 30-06 and a 300 Win Mag is about 200-300fps.

bear007

Bearcat
There is one and only listed on gubbroker = 979102262 - It is not cheap! - Hope this helps!
Rocko.
I've started selling some items here in the Classifieds Section, trying to get enough cash together to actually bid on something like that, but I'm not there yet! Maybe Smith will have a 40 cal FPC out by the time I do.

Thanks, I see it. Well over $800 and many days left on the bidding.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
I've mostly moved to 9mm, after being a fan of the .40 for a long time. If I'm in an area where I need to worry about something larger than coyote, I'll move up to either .40, or my M&P 2.0 10mm. The typical 10mm ammo IS a little stouter than the .40, and you can go up to a LOT stouter, at least as good as a .357 Magnum. 10mm > .357M > .45 > .40 > 9mm, IMO. I carry the weakest on a daily basis, because the weakest is good enough, and easiest to shoot. They're all just gonna punch a small hole in something.

For summer, though, I carry a G27 mostly. It's easier to conceal that size gun under a t-shirt, and I don't have a G26. And I don't want to bother buying one just to shoot 9mm.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I have a ruger pc 40 carbine it's awesome. ITS the same power as a 10mm pistol .It has lots of knockdown power with 180 and 200 grain bullets. I BOUGHT a 10 mm carbine that shoots both 10mm and 40 sw ammo the tnw survival rifle uses glock mags .It's fun to shoot they also make a 40 sw barrel also but why when you can shoot 40sw out of the 10mm and just clean your chamber .

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Ruger has a history of not producing at all or only in limited runs, calibers with other manufacturers in the name.

Ballistically, the 40S&W fills a gap between the 9X19 and the .45AUTO that didn't need filled.

Dad has one so I bought some used brass, dies, and a mold this morning because by the time I have it for good, the ammo won't be available.

My Sub2K is 9mm with Glock mags. Why? Because 9mm is much more common and so are Glocks.

...Dad has one so I bought some used brass, dies, and a mold this morning because by the time I have it for good, the ammo won't be available....

The last data I saw was a few years old, but .40 S&W was still in the top 5 for handgun ammunition sales, with (IIRC) only .22LR, 9x19, and .45acp out-selling it. I have not heard anybody worrying about .38 Special, .357 SIG, .357 Magnum, or 10mm auto ammo disappearing, and 40 cal has been out-selling all of those by huge margins.

I think most of the talk about the cartridge disappearing is from click-bait articles, like the endless "which is better, 9mm or .45?" tripe. Heck, you can still find .38 S&W ammo (if the public isn't panic buying), and I doubt anyone has chambered a gun for that in almost 50 years. With the enormous number of 40 cal firearms already produced, and Ruger's competitors still turning them out, I would be willing to bet that they will be producing 40 cal ammo for at least the next hundred years (barring a ban by gun-grabber politicians, of course).

GasGuzzler

Hunter
No, it's disappearing because the .40 is much newer than the other two and, once again, fills a gap that didn't need filled.

.38 Special and .357 Magnum are dying because they are revolver cartridges. What percentage of new handguns sales are revolvers? I bet it's single digits. Apples to oranges. Out of those very small sales, what percentage of .38 Special and .357 Magnum shooters buy counter ammo?

.357 Sig is dying because it's a lame idea. See .30 Super Carry for the next example.

10mm AUTO isn't dying. It was never very alive. It's coming on hard right now value wise because it's a .357 magnum in a semi-auto platform. See revolver comments above.

Whatever - with some folks claiming that .40 S&W is "dying", I'm laughing all the way to the bank. I'm buying reloading components for less than 9mm or .45 (both of which I also shoot). And when I buy firearms, mags, and other parts, I pay less for 40 cal than anything chambered in 9mm or .45. The funniest thing is, I can also shoot 9mm in every one of my 40 cal handguns (because I picked up low-cost 9mm parts for them, so I can shoot either cartridge). And as noted above, with millions of 40 cal firearms already in circulation (& still being produced by companies other than Ruger), the ammo manufacturers will be turning out .40 S&W "until the cows come home"!

Last edited:

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
I bought 20 cases of Speer lawman 40 so cheap(pre covid) from an LE that was phasing back to 9mm, that I couldn't afford not to buy it.
Plus all I'd been buying here and there from the 40 haters, that I have more than I will likely shoot in my lifetime. But now I need a more handsome handgun to fire it out of, like a nice 4-5/8 stainless convertible Blackhawk.
My Glocks are efficient, but fugly.
But I do have a 1st gen kel tec sub 2k, .40, that I'd part with.

I bought 20 cases of Speer lawman 40 so cheap(pre covid) from an LE that was phasing back to 9mm, that I couldn't afford not to buy it.
Plus all I'd been buying here and there from the 40 haters, that I have more than I will likely shoot in my lifetime. But now I need a more handsome handgun to fire it out of, like a nice 4-5/8 stainless convertible Blackhawk.
My Glocks are efficient, but fugly.
But I do have a 1st gen kel tec sub 2k, .40, that I'd part with.

A convertible Blackhawk would be VERY NICE (if I ever come across one at a price I can manage, I'll be a happy camper)!

Now would probably not be a good time to try & sell a used Sub2000, because Kel-Tec has a $100 rebate going on new ones (through June). Years ago, I had a Gen1 in .40 that was 100% reliable, but I let it go to a friend because the rear sight was just too low for me. @Cholo pointed me towards a taller aftermarket rear sight that looks like it will work (see post #10). To make a long story short, I just bought a new KT Sub2K in 40 cal (bargain price on GunBroker, plus the rebate), and have a taller sight ordered, because Ruger decided to stop producing the PCC in 40.

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
A convertible Blackhawk would be VERY NICE (if I ever come across one at a price I can manage, I'll be a happy camper)!

Now would probably not be a good time to try & sell a used Sub2000, because Kel-Tec has a $100 rebate going on new ones (through June). Years ago, I had a Gen1 in .40 that was 100% reliable, but I let it go to a friend because the rear sight was just too low for me. @Cholo pointed me towards a taller aftermarket rear sight that looks like it will work (see post #10). To make a long story short, I just bought a new KT Sub2K in 40 cal (bargain price on GunBroker, plus the rebate), and have a taller sight ordered, because Ruger decided to stop producing the PCC in 40.
I finally found and picked up a 10mm/40 stainless Blackhawk about 2 weeks ago.
Haven't had time to try it out yet.
Wanted a 4-5/8" but the 6-1/2 was a decent deal I thought.
Still N