PC4 Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PrimitiveHunter

Bearcat
Being a new member for all of 8 minutes, I had intended to keep quiet for a while but the first post I saw was related to the PC4 which is my Hog/Doe rifle. Currently, it's topped with a Pentax Lightseeker 0x-4x NWTF Competition scope.

My question is...can the trigger be improved by a gunsmith with a simple polish job?
Thanks.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
First....Welcome to the Ruger Forum. :D

Second,.......someone will undoubtedly come along to explain the technical side of things regarding the PC4 trigger. We are blessed to have COFFEEPOT as a member here, and HE is the one who designed the PC carbines for Ruger. He is a wealth of knowledge about these guns.

I have a PC4 as well, and I also wondered about improving the trigger pull when I first got the gun. COFFEEPOT helped me understand what is taking place inside the gun during that LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGG trigger pull and why it was intentionally designed that way.

Since then, I have gotten used to the trigger and it is no longer an issue for me when shooting the PC4.

PrimitiveHunter

Bearcat
Thanks! I've been shooting it for a couple of years and just like a Glock, once you get used to the travel and the stop at the end, you don't even notice it. I was just wondering about that final bit. I shoot Mosins too and I was thinking maybe Ruger copied their trigger design cause they are just like that. Just kidding! About the copy, not the Mosin trigger.

After reading a little about it, I guess I'm blessed with my PC4. Sitting on the ground in my back yard, I completely punched out a 1" bull with 50 rounds at 50 yards using iron sights. Not a single flyer. So, accuracy isn't an issue. Just always looking for those tiny improvements to the operation.

Thanks again for the welcome!

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Welcome. Short answer from the engineer who designed it was that it was designed the way it was, for safety reasons. Modification is very likely to make the rifle unsafe. It's not that different from the trigger on my M1 Carbine or Garand. I found, as you say, that you get used to it.

It clearly isn't holding back your accuracy! :D

ditto on all of the above... from everything I've heard you don't want to mess with that 'awful trigger pull'. As mentioned you actually get used to it when doing target practice... even though it's heavy as hell and you have to pull it a ways... they usually have a pretty clean break.