PC4 arriving soon...looking for suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lbk

Bearcat
New to Ruger forum and I am looking for some advice.
What 40 S&W should I try, not only manufacturer but also # grain?? Any of the re-manufactured ammo any good?
Also, what works well as a scope, traditional, dot, tactical? I'll be primarily doing 50 yards at the range but will also do occasional 100 yards.

Thanks from the newbie!! :D

lbk said:
New to Ruger forum and I am looking for some advice.
What 40 S&W should I try, not only manufacturer but also # grain?? Any of the re-manufactured ammo any good?
Also, what works well as a scope, traditional, dot, tactical? I'll be primarily doing 50 yards at the range but will also do occasional 100 yards.

Thanks from the newbie!! :D

Welcome to the Forum!

I have yet to find any ammo that does not work in mine, and it seems to shoot everything equally as accurate.

With the longer-barrel advantage, to me, there's no reason not to take advantage of the heavier (180 gr) bullets, so that's what I prefer.

I have the Ghost Ring sights, and that's my preference. So, having never tried any optics on mine, I can't help you there.

Enjoy your PC4. It's a great gun that if the shooting public would have given it a chance, it could and should still be in production.

WAYNO.

RandyM

Bearcat
Advice:
Here is a link on how to re-assemble your carbine if you take it apart, there are some tricks to it:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=188286

Also, be very careful not to lose or bend any internal parts, Ruger has stopped support on these rifles, and parts are almost impossible to find.

lbk

Bearcat
WAYNO & Randy M....much appreciate the feedback & advice.

I suspect I'll try a few different types of sights/scopes.

Once I get some ammo it is off to the range!!

LBK

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
i shoot 180 grains alot. they shoot really nice and smooth. 165 grains recoil more because they are leaving the barrell at faster velocity. try some and feel the difference. you;ll be surprised

lbk

Bearcat
mrmike7189 said:
i shoot 180 grains alot. they shoot really nice and smooth. 165 grains recoil more because they are leaving the barrell at faster velocity. try some and feel the difference. you;ll be surprised

Mr Mike,

What distance do you shoot and still be relatively accurate with the 180 grain?

Thanks

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
I shoot from 25 yards out to 75 yards(.tried 100 yards and they will reach and hit the paper but it's hard to aim well with the factory iron sights.) Also DO NOT use aluminum cased ammo in this gun(Blazer)....thats in the owners manual..it will mangle the cases and destroy your gun.

MedicYeti

Bearcat
I shoot whatever ammo I can get cheaply out of mine incliding lead bullets, steel and aluminum cases. I have not had a single issue. As stated before, parts are nearly impossible to find so reassemble it correctly and don't take it apart beyond field stripping. The trigger tends to stink on these guns, there is very little that can be done to change this
I took mine completely apart, did some filing, buffing and trimmed a spring or two which worked very well. While reassembling I broke a small pin that I needed to have remanufacturered. Doing this was a true pain in the rump.
I have a red dot on mine which works well. Most of my shooting is 15-50 yards but I occasionally shoot farther. My club has a piece of steel at 120 yards, if I hold at the top I ring it most of the time.
Congrats on the purchase and enjoy.

Sabby

Bearcat
the PC's will work fine with any ammo you decide to feed it including steel case and re-manufactured...

Hallow Points tend to expand before impact due to the added ballistic power coming out form a 16" barrel as oppose a 4" pistol barrel I can't say that "all " HP ammo will do this but some{very little} do

you be surprised just by the factory sights for target shooting thoe a red dot makes reaching out better pass 50yds and running drills on steel courses w/ both eyes open

PC9 with +P and +P+ ammo opens up 100 yds and still be stupid accurate for a 9mm

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
Like I said..just don't use Aluminum cased ammo! Its written in Red bold letters in my manual so it must be dangerous
steel is ok though
Wicked fun guns to plink with.
Enjoy!

Capt.Dan

Bearcat
I love my PC9 and just have the iron sights. I would maybe add a red dot, but anything else I think is overkill for the little carbine that's really only good to 100 yards.

Sabby

Bearcat
at one time I did put a mild scope on but it felt unbalanced.. maybe heavy would be more like it and sat up to high for my liking

and with Rugers scope base not many options running a picatinny type rail and still be low ...

so I cut down a ruger to weaver rail just because I didn't need a full rail for a small RDS base and it still clamps on nice & solid ...if need be I can still see through the rail to clearly see my irons sights

lbk

Bearcat
Sabby,

Like your set up...who's scope base did you get? See a few out there but want quality.

I picked up a Tru Glo Tru Brite Dual Color and want to keep it on tight and not have to remove rear factory sight.

Thanks!!