PC carbine: My comments on responses on various board posts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Century Limited

Bearcat
I have been replying on other posts and contemplated adding there or starting new thread. I do not want to create duplicate threads, nor do I want to hijack others. In the end I decided I'd just make new post addressing the various comments left on various web pages.
Different people like different things and have differing cost/benefit ratios when it comes to firearms. I care less if you agree or disagree with my points of view. I am just sharing them. Take them as you wish. Enjoy what you have. Most importantly, be safe.

Now that I have had my PC Carbine out a couple of times and fired about 500 rounds through it, I figured I would share my experiences. While I see many comments on the PC carbine by people saying that they would be interested in it..IF…., I think that it is well worth the money AS IS.

Let me begin by stating that I have two Marlin camp 9 carbines and a Kel Tec Sub 2000 multimag with S&W 59 series adapter and many mags to share on these. I also have a Beretta CX 4 Storm that uses the PX4 magazines. I love shooting them as well, but I find the trigger on the Beretta to be long and gritty but good enough for a plinker to have fun with. There are also a pair of HiPoint carbines in 380's and a 45 in the stable. As you can see, I like the pistol caliber carbines. I find them fun and economical to shoot. Reloading for them is quick and easy on the Dillon 550B. The time savings alone compared to reloading bottlenecked cartridges is a true blessing.

I will try to base my review upon the comments that I have been reading on the carbine by both those that like the idea and those that say why?

My initial impressions on the looks of the rifle? It looks like a well built practical rifle, not a dainty, sleek, sexy lightweight offering that one loves to look at and hold but is scared to use in the field.

I have seen many reviews on the large ugly magwell. I see it as sturdy, functional, and necessary for the ability to accept current adapters and will allow for additional to be created. The simplicity of changing them and the ability to use to hold magazines which are locked in place via side or front takes some room. My sub2k allows a plate to be changed to raise or lower side catch, but the design does not allow for front catch.

Many have said that there is no need for a takedown. I love the takedown feature for reasons aside from obvious of portability, or possible caliber changes. It makes for easier cleaning of the gun and the barrel itself. One can easily remove barrel and check for an obstruction. One can remove barrel and let it sit on table at range to cool, while the rest of the rifle is out of the way. There is no question that a disassembled gun is clear during cease fire at range.

My old eyes love the peep style sights. I intend on using them as well as an optic. I am obviously going to want a quick detach mount.

The stock spacers allowing adjustable length of pull while taking away from the beauty ARE very practical.

While I am not a southpaw, I love the fact that I can and do have the charging handle on the left side of the rifle. When shooting rifle with the forearm on a sandbag or rest, I find it more convenient on the left. More importantly, I can use either my E&L mini compact or compact brass catcher to save all of my brass for reloading and have full access to charging handle. The person to my right will also appreciate not getting pelted with empties.

YES! One can simply pull back and release charging handle and "slingshot" a round in the chamber when bolt is locked back. One does not need to fumble around with the bolt catch that annoys me on the 10/22.

No magazine disconnect. While this feature is intended as a safety feature by many manufacturers on some guns, I feel it the opposite. Pro/con safety opinions aside, I like the fact that there is none for one primary reason and it is not so I can defend myself if I were to drop mag out and still have a round in chamber. The reason I am excited about it is because when I am at range and know that I am going to quit shooting before mag empty, I can remove the mag BEFORE my last shot and then fire the round from the barrel and have an empty gun.

I have no need for sling studs at the moment, but I am sure some day I will appreciate them and am glad they are included.

I think the integrated picatinny rail is awesome. I am positive that I would have bolted on on anyway as opposed to scope rings directly to rifle as I need it for my brass catcher. I am sure a few would rather have the sleeker look and less sharp edges and clutter, another matter of opinion. Highly pleased withb it myself.

I do not own a suppressor, so cannot give any reviews regarding shooting suppressed, but love the fact that the possibility is there should I get one some day due to the already threaded barrel.

I wrote a lot already and have yet to mention the best aspect yet. IT IS UNBELIEVABLY FUN TO SHOOT! While I am a big guy and would not have issues with 9mm recoil in even the lightest carbine, I must agree that if one is comfortable shooting a 22LR, he/she would be comfortable with this.

I took my SR9c companion pistol the range the first time I took this carbine out so I could shoot both. I emptied all my magazines using the carbine and did not even take the pistol out of the bag. I simply could not put the PC Carbine down. Truth be told, I actually did, as I alternating with shooting my 77/44 carbine, allowing cooling time, not that it was necessary. I am just one that does not like shooting a gun until it is steaming hot. I also was just as anxious to shoot the 77/44. I enjoy slowing down a bit and shooting the manually cycled actions. I really want to get a Ruger Blackhawk convertible to shoot 9mm. I actually was saving up for one but money got spent on the PC Carbine. If I had more money to spend and were to see both in store today, I would likely have a difficult time choosing one over the other. I can definitely see a second PC Carbine is definitely in my future as I have a wife and two kids.

I made it out the second time with the PC Carbine with my 21 year old daughter this time and we both shot it and had a blast. So far right around 500 rounds of various handloads and not one single malfunction. It has fed various bullet shapes of plated bullets from various manufacturers, hollow points included. All shooting done with the Ruger SR9c 10 round or SR9 17 round magazines. I bought a single 33 round Glock magazine that I may try some day, but since I have ten Ruger mags, I see no point in switching magwell insert. I just figured I ought to have option to try the Glock mag. IF I ever find a round that doesn't feed, I may try it in glock mag, but right now it does not seem probable. I also feel the 17 round mags are the ideal size. Twenty rounders would make for easy counting of rounds, but why bother? Either I have ammo or I don't. Either way, I will always need more as this is fun to shoot. Need I say more?

In Summary, I love the PC Carbine as it comes. Yes, I would like to see additional magwell adapters for days I wish to use magazines that I have for other guns. Yes, I would also like to see a 45ACP version that accepts 1911 and possibly more magazines. There are many things I want, I feel blessed to have the PC Carbine as it is.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Nice review, I am going to get myelf and add one or two of the big Glock mags, seems like a lot of fun. Need a couple more cases of ammo

mac66

Single-Sixer
Nice review

How does the trigger on your PCC compare to your 10/22? (Assuming you have a 10/22 since you mentioned it). The internal trigger components are supposed to be the same and some people have inferred that the PCC trigger is comparable to the BX 10/22 trigger which is the improved one.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Nice review. My LGS showed me the one they picked up while at SHOT show. It's a cool little carbine. Looks very 10/22 'ish, but nice and configurable for lefties and righties. Very quick to draw ergos too. Unfortunately, I have no need for a pistol caliber rifle.

welder

Buckeye
Thanks, great write up. I've already decided to get one to go with my vintage one but your endorsement made a sure deal surer.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
My experience with my new PC Carbine mirrors yours almost exactly. I've only fired 60 rounds through mine (it was 22º and snowing when I went to the range!) but it performed flawlessly.

The take-down feature does seem a bit odd but it allows easy cleaning and, more important, easy caliber conversion in the future.

I am a lefty and the ambidextrous features are a blessing to me. BTW, the Tactical Innovations left-handed safety for the 10/22 works perfectly in the PC Carbine so that's another plus.

The absence of a magazine disconnect is great and the "auto" bolt release is a huge improvement over the 10/22.

The ability to use both SR/S9 and Glock magazines is a very smart move on Ruger's part. Much improved over the NIH (not invented here) syndrome so common among other makers. Others wells may follow. M&P? CZ?

Looks? Most Pistol Caliber Carbines have a space-gun look. The PC fits right in.

So far I'm a happy camper

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I like that Ruger has upgraded and is building these carbines again....they will sell a boatload of them , especially to Glock owners.pistol carbines are great! Mine is a 40cal. Ruger Police Carbine. It shares ammo and magazines with my P944 pistol. It is the old version from 1997.
The great thing about the NEW Ruger PCC is it can take mags for Ruger pistols or Glock pistols.
(Maybe someday they will make them for S&W, Sig, Beretta, etc. Ruger can sell millions of them!)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
One of the drivers behind the resurgence of Pistol Caliber Carbines is that there are now classes for them in IPSIC, Steel Challenge and falling plate competitions. The Ruger PC Carbine will be very competitive and at lower cost than most others like the CZ Scorpion, Beretta CX4 and 9 mm AR conversions. It's ability to use the Glock 33 round magazines will be a big attraction.

welder

Buckeye
"It's ability to use the Glock 33 round magazines will be a big attraction."

IMO, I'd say that's probably as big a driver as the price etc. if not the biggest factor. I had hoped to see one today at Whittakers but the 49 they emailed me about on Tuesday are all sold. Ruger hit a home run with this little carbine.

NetNathan

Single-Sixer
Nice narrative. I like mine a lot also.. It IS a tad heavy... mine is tactical version with threaded barrel and free-float hand guard, model 19117.
I have a riser on my rail so I can use green dot with or without 3x magnifier or drop my cheek down and use the fiber optic iron sights.
I have had some issues with failure to properly eject, but mostly fixed with a few mods.

Last edited:

instructor

Single-Sixer
Could not agree more with the positive statements regarding the Ruger PC 9. Being a fan of Glock pistols and the ability to use those magazines were a big attraction to me and find them very reliable in both the Glock handgun as well as my PC 9. I have been known to take hikes and camp for the evening and the stow ability in my backpack is a plus and, in the evening, assembled it makes for a very comfortable night regarding predators of either 4 legs or 2. The carbine is of a simple, reliable blowback design and some feel it is a bit on the heavy side, but to me it simply feels as a quality built and very reliable firearm. I have a SIG Romeo 5 red dot with riser and gives me a very good sight picture with the fine peep rear sight and post front sight if needed. The carbine and its rear sight setting from the factory is dead on at 50yds. and have never needed to adjust whatsoever, good job Ruger. With the near dozens of 9 mm ammunition varieties available find the caliber and the carbine a perfect combination for me. Yes, I like it a lot.

nekvermont

Buckeye
This may be a dumb question but is there any downside of never using the takedown feature and just leaving it together?