PC-9 & PC-4

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Phila PD

Bearcat
Hello Everyone!

Notice there is not a lot of talk about the Ruger Police Carbine in 9mm and .40S&W on the forum. Now I know they have been discontinued for some time but I'M sure many here still own them so has anyone tricked one out or done any other changes which made the carbine more handy? What do yo use your carbine for Target, Three Gun, Hunting?

Not a whole lot you can do to the PCs other than optics unless you really want to get creative(see later down)

My one suggestion is never ever try and mess with that gosh awful heavy trigger... you will screw the gun up!

both of my PC9s (and I'm looking for a third) are strictly for home / personal defense. One hangs by the door and the other travels with me most places along with a KP95 and a few extra mags.

I think I might have done the most exotic you can get with a 'police carbine'.

PC9FS.jpg

DSCN9300.jpg

Phila PD

Bearcat
How did you do the stock Mod and what brand 20 to 32rd magazines do you find run best in your PC-9.

The folding stock is a Choate for a Mossburg 500. It takes a little doing but is not that hard. The first step is to get the folding stock and then 'study on' the two rifles.. a shorter fine thread 1/4" bolt (I think) is the only difficult part... but once you cut the stock off the back of the PC, there is no going back.

I can't remember the name of the 20 rounders but they are pretty standard from Numrich and the Sportsman's guide. I've backed off and just put standard factory mags in them now.

In a way, I've decided Bill Ruger was right about not needing more than 10 rounds, even though I have 15 rounders in both the PC and P95.

donw

Bearcat
in the hi desert of southern california between te
I'd like to make mods like that to my PC9..but here in California it would net prison time...no detachable magazines and "pistol" grips allowed on a semi-auto...or detachable magazine in front of the pistol grip of a semi-auto pistol (the Mauser broom handle is the model for that portion of the law.)

i must be lucky..the trigger in mine is OK...just about right for what it is...

i haven't found any aftermarket accessories for it although, from what i understand, Wolff gun springs does make a spring for it and there is a person that will do trigger work for it: Bill Springfield www.triggerwork.net/

IMO, the 9mm is highly underrated, especially in a carbine barrel length.

i will keep my PC9.

Phila PD

Bearcat
Didn't see the PC-9 spring set listed on the Wolff site, maybe they discontinued it? But I might just use Bill Springfield for a trigger job if I can find someone who has already used his service and can comment on his work.

Personally I would not let anyone work on the trigger of a PC. There is a reason the trigger is the way it is. These rifles are for self defense and not target shooting... when you really need it the trigger pull will be half what it is in a 'normal' situation.

Phila PD

Bearcat
blume357":1c90wfq2 said:
Personally I would not let anyone work on the trigger of a PC. There is a reason the trigger is the way it is. These rifles are for self defense and not target shooting... when you really need it the trigger pull will be half what it is in a 'normal' situation.

I generally use the best gun safety in the world, keeping my Booger hook off the trigger until I intend to shoot :D My PC-9 is used for three gun events and plinking only and while it could be pressed into service for a SHTF event it would be only after the 5.56, 7.62x39 & 7.62x51 ammunition ran out. I'M not a fan of light triggers by no means and the reduction is quoted at 30% which is not drastic but my current hard trigger does cause issues when engaging targets past 25yds. Maybe I'll make a call and see what Mr. Springfield has to say and as long as he does not disengage any of the bolt lock drop safeties I may consider his services.

Well if he knows how to 'fix' the trigger, then go for it. I've only heard bad things from folks trying to do it themselves. In fact if it sounds good then go for it. I'd probably be interested in doing the same.

I have a very light 'factory' trigger on my MKIII pistol and twice have had a discharge before I had the target centered... actually both times while still pointing up. Yes, I should not have had my finger on the trigger, but it does happen. Same with a S&W model 19 with the hammer cocked.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
I'd consider searching for posts by Coffeepot here. He was part of the PC team at the Prescott plant. My recollection is that there is potential danger in fiddling with that trigger, but it's your gun.

Phila PD

Bearcat
JNewell":2wb4amw2 said:
I'd consider searching for posts by Coffeepot here. He was part of the PC team at the Prescott plant. My recollection is that there is potential danger in fiddling with that trigger, but it's your gun.

Does not appear that Coffee Pot posts here much anymore as his last post on this site was on Sep 27, 2009 and a search of his posts really didn't cover much about the PC-9 trigger. As I said I don't do "LIGHT" triggers but if a trigger is so hard that it interferes with ranged accuracy then corrective measures are needed, I do believe that some refining can be accomplished without compromising the integrity/safety of the trigger if done by skilled hands. I still have to contact Mr. Springfield to see how he would address the PC-9 trigger.

QB

Single-Sixer
I have two PC9s (one marked Police Carbine and the other marked Ruger Carbine). I haven't done anything to mine other than shoot the heck out of them and clean them. They are great companions to my P89s.

I was tempted to get a third one (another one marked Police Carbine) but so far I've held off the temptation.

I guess they are so reliable that no one has much to say about them on a continual basis.

I love the PC9!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Phila PD":1pj45qy0 said:
JNewell":1pj45qy0 said:

Does not appear that Coffee Pot posts here much anymore as his last post on this site was on Sep 27, 2009 and a search of his posts really didn't cover much about the PC-9 trigger. As I said I don't do "LIGHT" triggers but if a trigger is so hard that it interferes with ranged accuracy then corrective measures are needed, I do believe that some refining can be accomplished without compromising the integrity/safety of the trigger if done by skilled hands. I still have to contact Mr. Springfield to see how he would address the PC-9 trigger.

Well, here's one of Coffeepot's posts on these rifles - but, again, it's your rifle. The trigger on mine is very similar to the two-stage triggers on my USGI rifles such as the M1 rifle and carbine.

COFFEE POT":1pj45qy0 said:
The trigger mechanism in the PC carbines is quite complex. It's more than just the hammer/sear interface. There are three areas of the mechanism that affect pull. Unless the design is well understood, you're best off to allow the factory to take care of it. The long take-up is required as there are several functions occurring during that take up. As the gun was designed for abusive use by L.E. agencies, there are many internal interlocks for safety purposes. Please don't try to do it yourself or take it to someone who doesn't completely understand the design.

Jnewell,

thanks for tracking that down. It is the post that convinced me to never mess with the trigger on one of these. I guess if a gunsmith is really good they could make the trigger better. Then again, I've found for 50 yard shooting mine works just fine.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
After getting my PC4, I had a couple of lengthy email exchanges with Coffee Pot regarding the trigger.

Once I had a better understanding of what was taking place inside the gun during that long, "sloppy" trigger pull, it didn't bother me any more. :lol:

Once you get used to the trigger, it's not hard to shoot these guns to their "accuracy" potential out to 50 yards or so.

Al James

Hunter
The trigger disengages the bolt lock in its first stage IIRC. The PC has a unique bolt lock that locks the bolt into battery. The lock is disengaged by the first stage of the trigger or by the first 1/2" or so movement of the bolt handle. It was made this way to prevent the bolt from opening due to inertia. Since it is a delayed blowback action it has a very heavy bolt/slide and if dropped on the butt all of the bolts mass wants to continue in a rearward direction. The unique bolt lock prevents this from happening. Very cool. Good job COFFEEPOT!

Phila PD

Bearcat
I don't mind the travel of the trigger as I know it serves it purpose with the bolt lock mechanism, my issue is the 14lb break of the trigger which moves me off target during rapid fire ranged events. I lose points when my accuracy is off due to the heavy trigger so if I don't address the issue I might as well retire the carbine.

What type of trigger pull does everyone have with their carbines?

Phila PD

Bearcat
I got hold of Coffee Pot and we are talking about what if anything needs to be replaced (Spring Life) and if anything can be done about the trigger if I ship it back to Ruger.

reakin

Single-Sixer
Be sure to tell him we miss his knowledge and contributions here on the forum. I've chatted with him several times via email, great guy. Always willing to help.

reakin

Phila PD

Bearcat
reakin":2njrzknp said:
Be sure to tell him we miss his knowledge and contributions here on the forum. I've chatted with him several times via email, great guy. Always willing to help.

reakin

will do