pc 40 vs mini-30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yotesmoker

Bearcat
I have one of each but want to get rid of one.Both are new and unfiredI reload both cartridges.Which one would hold up better for a lot of range time,which one would be more reliable.I've heard that the pc 40 has a reliabilty problem,any truth to that? The only problem with the mini 30 is in shooting steel case ammo.Any input would be appreciated.

hittman

Staff member
Toss up for me. Be easier if it was a choice between PC9 and Mini 30; then I'd say PC9.

That's a fairly wide variation. Need to decide what range would be the primary use parameter--.40 S&W is limited to about 150 yards for most purposes. The intended/expected need parameters--strictly for plinking & targets or more general purpose for hunting and/or home defense or repelling boarders from a longer distance. Other factors such as if you already have a supply of ammo/magazines for either/both--you say you reload for both but are you prepared to reload 50-100 of one caliber vs a couple thousand of the other? If not already stocked for reloading, you probably can't find more supplies. The Mini carbines I have experience with threw their cases away-I mean literally 10-15' so most were lost. Steel cases aren't easily reloadable anyway but if you can't find your brass, reloading is a one shot deal outside of a range setting.
The steel case ammo thing probably isn't as big of a problem as many think it is. Most shooters will run out of ammo long before breaking or causing significant wear on their gun. Maybe I have a little different outlook since I shoot AR platform "steel case only" calibers. I just keep a spare bolt in case of an extractor failure--a 2 minute change out.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Is the PC a older/original PC or the newer PCC? Is the Mini the old/original ones or the newer ones?

If the PC and the Mini are the original ones, I'd keep the Mini. If they are the newer ones, I'd keep the PC.

yotesmoker

Bearcat
Both the pc40 and mini-30 are last years model.Ammo for both is not a problem since i reload and have enough componets to last me a few years.My main concern was reliability.Finding a lot of info about pc problems and all the upgrades needed to make the carbine reliable my decision was easy.I kept the mini and sold the pc40.

Late to party, as such discussions are seldom fruitful.

You say PC40, but you then say last years model. The PC40 hasn't been made for fifteen years. So I'll assume you're speaking of the newer PCC in .40 .

I've owned the older PC9's and PC40's, as well as the later PCC. I'm surprised to hear reported "info" of problems. Mine, new and old, run absolutely flawlessly.

The Mini and the PCC have different missions, so it's impossible for me to decide either/or. With the correct ammo, the Mini runs well. The PCC runs with any ammo.

The Mini can be used for anything...Personal defense, plinking, vermin shooting, and medium-sized game hunting. The PCC can be used for personal defense, plinking, vermin shooting, and that's about it. :mrgreen:

I very much like both the Mini and the PCC, and I would recommend either one to people I care for. :wink:

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Mini-30 for me.
All my Mini's have been 100% Reliable.
Does everything the PC does and much more.
Just a personal thing but I have never liked the .40 Cal.

I think either would be very reliable. For strictly home protection and range time I'd go with the PC40, (although I prefer PCC9). I'd pick the Mini 30 if plans included hunting, truck gun, longer distance, etc.

I would think brass and ammo for the Mini would be more available, even though you do reload.

yotesmoker said:
Both the pc40 and mini-30 are last years model.Ammo for both is not a problem since i reload and have enough componets to last me a few years.My main concern was reliability.Finding a lot of info about pc problems and all the upgrades needed to make the carbine reliable my decision was easy.I kept the mini and sold the pc40.

Just to point out... he kept the mini-30. What is interesting is all the problems he heard there were with the PC-40.

I must be out of the loop, I've never heard of a problem with them but... the mini-30....... oh boy.... probably will be fine as long as he stays away from hard primers and off brand magazines.....