Paying homage to 'sixshot' and 'Callshot'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Well, I've been home for about 4 days now, and I have it bad. I thought huckleberry shake withdrawal was bad, but what I have now, could be considered darn right fatal. My wife, daughter, and myself went out to dinner, the other night, mexican(not El Toro, tho'), and our waitress, noticed my condition, and asked if I'd like a drink. I responded, "More than You'd ever know ." When asked what, I responded, "How about a couple shots ?" She wanted to know shots of what. I responded,"Do you have any 'sixshots' or Callshots" She stared at me blankly, and said I had it bad. She was right, she knew.

I was the victim of MISSSHOTIDAHOASS. Symptoms include a wanting to go back west, to Idaho, hunting, eating, laughing, eating, b s ing, telling stories, eating, meeting great folks, sight seeing, eating, and just plain having fun.

To ease my symptoms, I built an altar, to honor my new idols. It is constructed, of what else, Dutch ovens. Mines not as big as Callshots tho, as he has known Dick alot longer than me. And mine are not seasoned with bear grease, as Callshots. On top of my totem pole of cast iron, is the secrete to life and flavor, the humble huckleberry. Below, is a LBT mold, for a 250 gr. WFN, .41 cal. PB bullet, the tool used to manufacture the "MEAT HAMMERS" favored pistol. Below that, is a picture of a mear mortal, me, next to these two Idahoan gods, drinking our favorite elixir, hucklebery shake. The next picture, is of something of a god like status itself, the huckleberry shake. At the base of my offering to the western gods, are two revolvers that made the magic journey west.

When really feeling bad, I face west, bow my head, and make sure I have some food in both hands, and start to eat, alternating hands, as I do so. This is followed by a glass of ice water, one of the favorites of one of the gods.

After praying to my altar, all is well. A peacefullness fullfills me, the world is right, and all is forgiven. This last about 15 minutes, and I have to do it all over again.
altar004.jpg

Here is a picture of my altar. You can't see the puddle in front of it, from all the tears, or as Callshot likes to say, all the excessive secreation of lacrimal fluid.

So there it is guys, My salute to you two. When I have to disassemble my altar, to cook some great western food, and the ovens need to be re-seasoned, I will sit idly under the full moon, and wait patiently for Callshot, covered in bear grease, donned in indian garb, to magically appear, and spread some grease on the dry ovens. I will then give him a hug, and a cold glass of ice water :lol: .

mt

Single-Sixer
Dang! You've gone and done it now. I'm gonna have to put my rubber boots on before I read anymore of your post'.

PS. be careful that totem pile don't crush some stumblebum in the area.

mt :D

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, thats quite an altar, actually me & Callshot are going down for a huckleberry shake in a few minutes........just as soon as he gets some in his little drinking cups, he has to use his own berries!!
I noticed in the picture of the "three amigos" that my tummy is high & tight compared to Callshots (cantshoot) I need to start working that boy harder! :wink: Been out to the range shooting the OM 45 shortie, lots of fun! Thanks for sharing.

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Dick, make sure Callshot has his coupon(notice singular tense) Its been used so much, the ink is coming off :D .

Back to the altar, I'm feeling low again :cry: .

callshot

Blackhawk
Hi Jeff, I just had a STRAWBERRY Sunday with nuts. The H. berries were all still frozen. Chicken fat works better than bear grease for those ovens. You should also add a little skunk juice to it to flavor them for use. We have a real SNIPE problem out here. Have you ever hunted for Snipes? Bring your wooden hand gun and a couple of large rubber bands and we'll take you out to get a sack full of them. I liked your alter that you worship at.
P.S. Don't bring black rubber bands. They get lost when you hunt the snipes at night. Steve

ddd482

Single-Sixer
callshot":zmpvnau4 said:
Hi Jeff, I just had a STRAWBERRY Sunday with nuts. The H. berries were all still frozen. Chicken fat works better than bear grease for those ovens. You should also add a little skunk juice to it to flavor them for use. We have a real SNIPE problem out here. Have you ever hunted for Snipes? Bring your wooden hand gun and a couple of large rubber bands and we'll take you out to get a sack full of them. I liked your alter that you worship at.
P.S. Don't bring black rubber bands. They get lost when you hunt the snipes at night. Steve

ah- snipe hunting- i remember that!

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Callshot, you know I only hunt what I eat. How do you cook snipe ? Do they go well with huckleberries ? What's the legal limit on them per day, or year ? Do they taste like chicken ? Will a 250 gr. WFN coming from a Ruger Bisley .41 mag be enough gun for one ? Does Pocahontas(Mrs. Callshot) like them ? Do they have feather, fur, or scales, or all three ? :D :D :D :roll:

Back to the altar, back to the altar :cry: :cry: :cry:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Anybody know how to clean a laptop screen and keyboard?

I laughed so hard I spilled my desert on the computer.......

flatgate

callshot

Blackhawk
Jeff, I have never tried to cook one. They are very elusive. You hardly ever get one. They are not in season when the huckleberries are on, so no one has ever tried the two together. There is no limit. You can have as many as you get. It is rumored they are a lot like a weasel with a slight hint of sage brush. They take a lot of seasoning to get them to YOUR tastes. I have no idea if a 41 is enough. You try it and let me know. I have got to go now, I feel a nap coming on and don't want to miss it. I missed one once and have never been able to make it up yet. Steve

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Just make sure you put an eye patch over your good eye. You don't want anything happening to it, in case your 'training' kicks in. Be a shame to have to put that shooter marble back to work :wink: .

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm with Flatgate,, I'm laughing so much Miss Penny heard me over her hair dryer!
One thought for you Jeff, I said for many years I wanted to go west "just once" to hunt. I found out that "once" is just not enough. This past hunt was just the fix I needed, and was LONG overdue!

americal

Hunter
This whole deal is why I joined this forum & proud of it :D :D you guys make me laugh & cry, it is such good therpy for my ptsd---- I really love you guys & i've only known & met FLATTOP 44 and I know what a great guy he is, to everyone thanks for the telling of the friendships you guys have 8) sincerely :) Americal

contender

Ruger Guru
americal, this forum is a great place. Heck, go into the Lounge, & see Heilmans post. Heck, look at my post count and know I'm here almost every day.

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
Those guys are kidding you.Every one knows about hunting snipe.

You don't need a gun and the limit is 4 a night.There just kidding you.
but if you go slice up a apple and put in in your pants pocket.Those snipe hate any kind of nutz. walnuts peanuts hickory or your nutz so watch out if it gets past your bag and go for your sack instead.

Hugh

Buckeye
Ya might find that 250 gr is a bit much for snipe. Make sure you bring a flashlight though. Idaho snipe might be a bit more evasive than Washington or Utah.

DwarvenChef

Bearcat
Ooo I love the totem of dutch ovens :) I'm down to 3.... lost a couple over the years... Looking to aquire a few more in different sizes.

Now I want to make some beans...