Pawn-Shop Engraved .44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VonFatman

Blackhawk
Thought this gun might be of interest. I picked it up locally. As I suspected, it was originally shipped to Wolf & Klar in Ft. Worth, Texas. It was manufactured in 1928-29.

It's in pretty good shape and it's mother-of-pearl steer-head grips are very nice.

Here are some pics.

Bob

44 Hand Ejector-Third Model (a.k.a. Model of 1926 Hand Ejector)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

M'BOGO

Buckeye
VonFatman":3da1tfgj said:
Thanks. I sure like to wonder where that gun has been! It'll talk to you!

Bob

No doubt, it started life during the last years of prohibition, then who knows.

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Hey Bob,
Yes that is a nice one, I sure wish mine could talk too. I found a pair of Ivory Grips today with an eagle engraved into them. Gonna take one of these in to try em on before I buy them. You ever decide to sell those K-Frame steers put me 1st in line :D .

Dan

6scratched004.jpg

VonFatman

Blackhawk
BBDad,
Thanks!

M'BOGO,
I expect you are right...can you imagine the possible places these neat guns have been?

Hi Dan,
Nice pic....you have the best collection of these nice old guns of anyone I know!

I only have one set of real ivory grips...nothing to show off...but I may find some I want/can afford one fine day.

I've seen pics of ivories with eagles...be sure to post a pic!

You will get a call if I ever part with my K-38 steer-heads.

Here's a pic or two for those who have not see earlier pics of the k-frame gun...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Thats the pair :D :D :D they appear to be much better carved than the N-frames I have seen. I love the last picture comparing the 2 sets. thanks for showing them again.

Dan

Any body know where this "pawnshop engraving" was really done and by whom? I've been seeing these and reading that expression all my life, but am not sure what it means, other than it ISN'T factory work.

It looks to me like some of these works were possibly done partly with some kind of machine tool, like a knurling tool, as well as the regular engravers chisels, burins, etc. I find the result quite attractive, but then I really like the engraving style on the lower grades of American doubles, like the L.C. Smith "Ideal" grade and the Ithaca Grades 1 and 1 1/2. (Lots of purists find that too "coarse or crude or bold" for their taste.).

Anybody know who really did these? Was it perhaps farmed out to somebody in Mexico? They certainly used to be popular in Mexico and the border areas.

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Bobs gun and mine were engraved at Wolf & Klar in Fort Worth Texas back in the 20's & 30's. here is a picture of their catalog and a few pages out of it. I dont own the catalog but wish I did.
Wolf and Klar had in house engraving and Jewelry shop where they carved Ivory and pearl Grips. I think this style of engraving could be done at many gunshops back in the day as I have seen many Colts and Smiths engraved like these.

Dan

user120849_pic2147_1264740443.jpg

user120849_pic2148_1264740443.jpg

user120849_pic2149_1264740443.jpg

20091121_3.jpg

I'm always glad to see "real" engraving as opposed to the silly, cheap etching seen so often these days and referred to as "engraving".

Nice stuff, guys. Thanks for sharing.

:)

M'BOGO

Buckeye
That is much nicer than any of the distributor engraving I've seen of late, which seem to evoke no feeling from me.