Pawn Shop .44 Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stopped in a pawn shop today and noticed a .44 flattop in the case. Four digit serial number (79xx) and looked to be in very good condition with a 4 5/8" barrel. It looked to have been at least partially reblued and the barrel cut to 4 5/8" with the front sight soldered back on... Not sure if the grips were correct and the price was $695 - he told me he would do $650 as I looked it over...

rugnelli

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Is the muzzle properly crowned to look like a factory muzzle? Is the sight on straight? Has it had the safety retrofit conversion?

No collector value appreciation potential left of course. But if you like the short barrel like me, you couldn't buy a nice 44 FT host gun and have the work done correctly for that price. And you aren't the one taking the hit on the future collector value appreciation.

Let the negotiations begin if you want it. If he'll do $650 right off the bat, he'll probably do $600 or less to move it. He most likely has $300 or less invested in it. I've seen similar shortened FTs sell on the auctions in the $800 range.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yeah, what Hondo44 said!!!

flatgate
P.S.
12758483.jpg

Old beater resurrected by SR&Co's Service Dept.

Heck yes, if it's in decent shape it's a nice, unusual shooter. Ought to be a lot of fun with .44 Special-level loads for general plinkin' and backyard shooting . . . capable of handling magnum loads if you need to.

Personally, I think it's more of a $500 gun, but that's just me. He can likely get $600 (or more) for it, though, so you gotta evaluate your "gotta have it" feelings. This can be tough, BTDT . . .

;) ;) ;)

toroflow

Single-Sixer
Like hondo44 says, you cannot buy a donor gun and have the work done (nicely done that is) for less than the asking price ($650). That said, I paid a bit more than that for a FT (18,000 serial # range) cut to 4 5/8" and with ruger medallioned real stag (elk?) grips. The cut and crown job look factory it was done so nice! I personally prefer the short barrel, and personally do not care for the 6.5" barrels, but that's just me. If it tickles your fancy like this short barreled one did me, then I'd say its worth $650 "all-day-long", and even better if you can get it cheaper!

Rugerflat442.jpg

Latest posts