Pawn shop 357 blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Just bought a new model 357 blackhawk ser #33--60496,6.5 in.Got for $240.It has a brass frame ,square trigger gard???????Looks like front sight was filed down a bit.Good working condition,some scratches & worn off blueing.Slight piece of wooden grip corner chipped off.Did I get a redone gun? Was it worth it with,the breas frame? Help, as I hope I did ok?Gun looks kidda sharp w/ brass contrast.Pics added.
19093945.jpg

19094038.jpg

19094137.jpg

Without pics its hard to see how bad. But it sounds like a good shooter. The Brass grip was most likely added. grips can be replaced. $240 is not bad. I have seen worst sell for in the $300.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
bluestraw":1jzqeqe0 said:
Seems like a good deal to me.:D I would've bought it! Didn't a similar brass frame grip just sell not too long ago for $200+?
Checked the classifieds, seems they go between 200-300.Wow , if so I did good for a change.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
No eagle(chicken) on grips? Anybody know if this is not original? If so anybody have a used set of grips for sale?Small piece broke off back corner.Also front site looks filed down a bit?

rugerbh73

Bearcat
If you're having buyers remorse, just give me a PM. I'll give you you're money back for it. I think you did great!

flatgate

Hawkeye
Wow, I'd think just the grip frame itself is worth the purchase price!

Most likely an aftermarket item since Ruger never made the Brass Super Blackhawk grip frame in the "New Model" configuration. Adapting an OM to work on the NM lockwork would be possible but, IMHO, rather unlikely.

Remove the grips and look for markings. Caravelle grip frames were, to the best of my knowledge, un-marked, but some of the other suppliers did indeed include some sort of identifying marks.
322641732.jpg

This one has "S G" and I've heard of another with the letter "R".

Filed down front sights are common as many folks don't care to have the rear sight elevated and prone to "catching" on some holsters, etc.

Grips? Most any sort of Super Blackhawk grips oughta work.

Yup, Brassies are Classy!

52401191.jpg

One Old Model and one New Model......

flatgate

G2

Hunter
toyhunt, Could you take off the grip panel and give us pictures of both sides of the GF? Just Curious, thanks.

Ohhhh I think you did good, if you want your $$ back drop it off here in Mesa. :D

Brass Grip Frame junkie lives in Mesa from time to time. :roll:

Rclark

Hunter
Duh proof is in the pudd'n.... How's it shoot? If shoots good groups to POA, then you got a deal. Otherwise a parts gun ... and move brass frame to something else :) .

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Great looking gun. Those aftermarket grips make it all worth it. Those are fantastic looking. Well maybe not the grips, but the brass frame. The brass frame is awesome.

Good Score!

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Rclark":3cilyvbg said:
Duh proof is in the pudd'n.... How's it shoot? If shoots good groups to POA, then you got a deal. Otherwise a parts gun ... and move brass frame to something else :) .
No ammo yet so can't try it out. I am not an expert shooter so, any group would be good.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all for the replys. Will get a picture with grips off ASAP ,as requested.What do use for the brass cleaning?I used car polish & worked good.Is it hard to find a drop in 9MM cylinder?
20071057.jpg

20071242.jpg

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Hi Toyhunt,

yep its a Super Blackhawk gripframe. the 2 sets at the bottom of my picture of my ad that ale8(1) posted a link to would fit it.

Dan

G2

Hunter
"BNR", Have never seen that before, very interesting. It looks to be a nice quality casting.

Flitz, works wonders on Brass, easy too.

Thanks for posting the additional pictures, looking forward to see others comments.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Yeah, I suspect you did fine.

The grip frame is interesting. In the '60s Ruger did up some factory frames like that for the SuperBlackhawk of the oversize pattern bigger that what would have come on that gun stock. (It originally wore an aluminum XR3-RED grip frame.)

It's barely possible somebody managed to graft an Old Model SBH gripframe onto a New Model action. There should be signs of "funky alterations" and probably some brazing, esp. once you pull the grip panels.

It could also be aftermarket, which is still OK as no more are being made. In that event it could be either SBH oversize type or a clone of the XR3-RED. Upshot: you're going to want to find out exactly what you've got there before mail-ordering any grips! Find grips you know to be XR3-RED and see if they fit - if they're too small it's SBH pattern and might be a modified Ruger original.

The next big question is, does it shoot? If so, you can probably (if you want) trade in the brass gripframe for something more conventional and have enough left over to have the front sight milled all the way off, a dovetail cut and do something better up there.

Or leave it as-is if that grip frame fits your hands and you're not knocking your knuckle on the "squareback" triggerguard.

Latest posts