Pawn shop 357 blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
JimMarch1":1ykv2c7p said:
Yeah, I suspect you did fine.

The grip frame is interesting. In the '60s Ruger did up some factory frames like that for the SuperBlackhawk of the oversize pattern bigger that what would have come on that gun stock. (It originally wore an aluminum XR3-RED grip frame.)

It's barely possible somebody managed to graft an Old Model SBH gripframe onto a New Model action. There should be signs of "funky alterations" and probably some brazing, esp. once you pull the grip panels.

It could also be aftermarket, which is still OK as no more are being made. In that event it could be either SBH oversize type or a clone of the XR3-RED. Upshot: you're going to want to find out exactly what you've got there before mail-ordering any grips! Find grips you know to be XR3-RED and see if they fit - if they're too small it's SBH pattern and might be a modified Ruger original.

The next big question is, does it shoot? If so, you can probably (if you want) trade in the brass gripframe for something more conventional and have enough left over to have the front sight milled all the way off, a dovetail cut and do something better up there.

Or leave it as-is if that grip frame fits your hands and you're not knocking your knuckle on the "squareback" triggerguard.
Don't see any funky alterations.I have small hands,so I hope knuckle knocking won't be a problem.Won't get a chance to shoot it till another week.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
>>I hope knuckle knocking won't be a problem.<<

Unlikely, at 357 recoil levels.

When Ruger shipped that sort of "squareback" thing in 44Magnum, some people had problems :(.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Here's one of Ruger's MR3-DB grip frames, first produced in the mid '60's.

162714758.jpg

Note how "crude" the casting is when compared to toyhunt's "top quality" example. :shock:

I've seen other types as well, including a brass "round guard" OM Super style....

Recoil shouldn't be an issue with the .357 cal. Blackhawk and the "Dragoon" style grip frame.

JMHO,

flatgate

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
>>Recoil shouldn't be an issue with the .357 cal. Blackhawk and the "Dragoon" style grip frame.<<

I mostly agree, except we don't know exactly what this is if it turns out not to be a Ruger-source gripframe.

It may be a "mutant mix" of squareback triggerguard and XR3-RED overall size. In which case, I have no idea how that would work :).

Probably OK...

contender

Ruger Guru
That is obviously an aftermarket grip frame. But it sure does appear to be a top quality grip frame. Very nice. I tend to think that it'll take the Super BH stocks.
NICE, nice, nice!

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
The grips seem to be worked on? Someone put duct tape as backing???The grips are fine ,just a small corner of wood broken off,seen in middle picture.Noticed McGinn srcatched on the right side of the brass frame?Previous owner or maker????

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Nice find. Im sure many here would have paid $100 more for the same gun. Congrats on a good gun day!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Look at it this way: even if it shoots like crap, it's worth more than $250 parted out, esp. with that grip frame.

It'll probably shoot at least fairly well, maybe better. Whoever dropped the grip frame in may have tuned it up in other ways.

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
Looks like a good deal to me.

Handguns are slowly starting to edge down in price in my neck of the woods. Still, any of the NM Blackhawks I've seen are $375.00 plus. And those are the ones that have been rode hard and put away wet.

Nice to see some deals out there.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
It looks to me like in most areas, guns at less risk of an "Obama ban" suffered the least inflation. Percussion and other muzzleloaders were unaffected, SA revolvers, leverguns and other "cowboy stuff" only slightly affected if at all, standard DA wheelguns (esp. ultra-small) went up some while the "tacticool" stuff (esp. sport-utility rifles) prices went bonkers and then some.

I don't think it was the "whole gun market" affected.

AMMO on the other hand...yeah, that's still crazy. Primer supply is ghastly.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Update, shot 10 rds each of 38 & 357, just to make sure it works. It does!! Thanks again to all the replys & info!! :D