Passed up an OM FT 357 Blackhawk for an LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Finally had some "new gun money" and I was wanting a smaller carry piece (I carry an XD9 Service). Had pretty much decided on an S&W Shield in 9mm but I've been wanting a small 38 (j-frame etc) for the wife to eventually carry also.
Also, since I turned 50 last year, I've been wanting a gun that's as old as I am or older, and have been thinking it would be a 357 BH.

Anyways went out looking and calling around the LGS and no one had the Shield in 9mm though there were some in .40 cal. I stopped in a store known for having older revolvers and found an OM 357 Flattop in not bad shape. It had the usual muzzle and ERH wear and a large patch of bluing missing from one side of the cylinder and back on the recoil shield, but as I wanted a shooter-grade BH it was okay to me. Oh and it was also UNCONVERTED. The price at $480 didn't seem unreasonable (was it?)

However, I let my practical side win and left the BH for someone else as it would just be a range toy for me, and I really wanted a smaller carry gun. At another store my wife and I tried S&W j-frames and LCRs side-by-side. We both liked the LCR trigger pull better, I liked the replaceable front sight, and I have had success with my Rugers so far, so we left with the LCR in 38sp+P.
Haven't shot it yet and I think it will eventually end up being the wife's carry gun but I will enjoy carrying it for now. Obligatory picture follows.

Oh and PM me if you want the Flattop, I can direct you to the store (I have no connection).
IMG_2739800x600_zps52914efe.jpg

hittman

Staff member
May I ask what those are bringing in your neck of the woods? My son and I looked at one today, only one local store has them and they're $469.00. Seems like they had about every LRC variation in stock but at $500.00 with sales tax I just couldn't make the commitment!

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
The S&W J-frames were $420 and the LCR was $430. I've seen $400 online but when you add in shipping and transfer fees, it's gonna be more than $430.

hittman

Staff member
Thanks for the info, I appreciate that.

Did you select the 38 over 357 for any particular reason? I've never fired an LCR; wondering if you have and how they handle 38 vs. 357.

Re: the Old Model . . .

At that price, it would depend on exactly how old it was.

A mid-1950's Flattop would not be too bad at that price.

An early 1960's "protected sight" version, maybe not.

As described, it's a "shooter", not a safe queen.

It would ultimately depend on the "gotta have it factor" . . . which we all understand.

JMHO

;) :) ;)

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
The serial number was 32xxx if I remember correctly, making it 1960.
The wood grips were good. It would probably be a good shooter.
Happy with the LCR but still kinda wish I got the FT.
Someday!

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Thanks for the info, I appreciate that.

Did you select the 38 over 357 for any particular reason? I've never fired an LCR; wondering if you have and how they handle 38 vs. 357.
Was kinda thinking the wife will probably take it for her use so 357 wasn't really in the plan. And most posts I read say even if they have the 357 they use 38+P for carry anyways. I haven't shot an LCR yet but I think it will be great, looking forward to a range trip.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Wife has the .38 LCR and I the .357, both great shooters and she regularly outshoots me from 10yds. She has several thousand rounds with hers and it is like brand new, great guns but I prefer my Vaquero. With that my groups are better than hers, thank God. She is tough.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Went to the range Sunday and let the wife shoot the LCR with 38sp FMJ loads.
She didn't like shooting it and went back to shooting the 22lr SP101.
I liked shooting the LCR but the +p CorBon SD rounds I shot
Weren't really fun to shoot, regular 38's were great.
I don't know if she'll ever like shooting the LCR, may have to find
another carry solution for her.

What the LCR has going for it is light weight and a nice trigger.

The weight is nice for carry, but not so much fun for shooting, in spite of the nice trigger.

It's the nature of the genre.

wesm

Bearcat
My wife doesn't like shooting my LCR either. Kinda surprised me, oh well. At least I don't have to worry about her bugging me to let her shoot it now.

Latest posts