Passed on an LCR today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jamstutz

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack":3pvdokg5 said:
Well I pack a S&W 642 and have for years. BUT if I were in the market for a belly gun presently and was shopping between the Ruger and Smith the LAST reason I'd pass up on a Ruger REVOLVER is because it's new. The technology they use on the LCR is the same they used on the Security Six. I deal with several manufacturers and if you call Smith some time one of the options to push the button for is recalled items. The lock on the Smith has a reputation for failure while the one on the Ruger does NOT. All the other BS on this arguement is apples and oranges. I as a civilian am not required to fight off the bad guys on the street. Too many people watch way to much tv have never had to deal with after math of a shoot. If you need to carry a small belly gun maybe carry a Bianchi Speed Strip if you need a reload.

I disagree with your point that "the technology they use on the LCR is the same they used on the Security Six," but otherwise you are right on target. Recalls as a reason to NOT buy is misplaced--any manufacturer can have a recall, it's how the manufacturer handles the recall that tells how good they are.

As noted, S&W currently has two active safety recalls, the model 22A pistol and the PPK - PPK/S pistols.

SIG-Sauer is recalling their new P238, and having dealt with their warranty folks in the past, I pity anyone who has to go that route.

As far as not buying any manufacturer's design until it is "time-proven" what is more time proven than the Colt Model 1911? And yet Colt is recalling "the Colt 1911 WW1 Replica, 1918 WW1 Replica, the Combat Elite, the New Agent, and the Defender models, including the TALO Night Defender, sold since March 2007." (Shooting Industry News, August 2009, page 12)

Any manufacturer can have a bad production run, parts can run out of spec, or a sub-contractor can mess up your day. But do you make your recall as painless as possible for your customer base, or do you make them foot the bill and jump through hoops? Ruger has by most reports been very kind to their customers in fixing things that needed fixing and even throwing in a spare magazine or a hat or even a set of Crimson Trace grips for the LCR owner that sent his gun back for warranty replacement. Service like that is great, and it works for me.