Party dress

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Watching "Leave it to Beaver" this morning and they were having a party at their home. All the boys were wearing suits and and all the girls were all dressed up. As a teen I went to LOTS of parties and NEVER saw anyone in a suit (bathing suit being the exception) or the girls dress to kill.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
When I was younger (late 50's and early 60's), we wore suits or sportscoats to church, ties to jr. high dances. Girls dressed up for "proms", etc.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Most of the parties I went to as a young man required boys to wear a jacket and tie. And girls wore dresses, those with all the petticoats under that made them stand out, and stockings and high heel shoes. We dressed up to go to town, wearing at least a nice pair of slacks and a good sport shirt with open collar. My Dad taught me that a man ought to dress like a man, with coat and tie, when going out in public. I still feel a little disgust when I see males out in public with T-shirts, shorts, and sandals. And, carrying purses.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on Sunday mornings, before leaving for church, Dad would put on his coat, stand in front of the mirror, place his fountain pen in his breast pocket (the bullet pocket), stand very straight, smooth down his coat and looking in the mirror, say aloud, "This is Mr. Wright.!"

Bob Wright

My sisters both wore dresses to school all thru their senior year. My wife, slightly younger, wore dresses until her junior year, when nice pants were acceptable for girls. So, dresses to a party were very routine.

Further, both my oldest sister and my Mom would have adult parties at our houses, and I remember well, the gals all arrived beautifully dressed. Yes, this was the 60's and 70's, but how I miss that time of my life.

Last edited:
We did to certain ones, but we also didn't go to Red Neck High :) :)
I attended St Mary's Elementary & High School. We were far from 'red neck'. The boys had to have a tie and wear a dress jacket or school sweater. The girls all wore pinafores or skirt, blouse (school colors). This was the early to middle 50s. Casual, once away from school, was the norm.

My sisters both wore dresses to school all thru their senior year. My wife, slightly younger, wore dresses until her junior year, when nice pants were acceptable for girls. So, dresses to a party were very routine.

Further, both my oldest sister and my Mom would have adult parties at our houses, and I remember well, the gals all arrived beautifully dressed. Yes, this was the 60's and 70's, but how I miss that time of my life.

All my life I have always worn dresses as a rule. Now laying about the house and no company other than close friends or comapny it is t-shirts and shorts in the Summer and sweats in Winter and as it gets colder. But if I am out and about it is dressed up.

jdavis

Single-Sixer
The accepted attire of that era depends on the time and place that one grew up. In my case, guys dressed for school in starched button down collar shirts, khakis, thick colored socks, and penny loafers. Girls wore dresses or skirts with round collar blouses and optional sweaters, hose, and penny loafers. Shorts were not allowed. Our teachers were always dressed in a semi formal fashion. The same manner of dressing for school was acceptable for school related dances and most private parties. Coats and ties for guys and “nice” dresses with ”heels” was appropriate for girls.
We took pride in the way we dressed and appeared in public (particularly around the opposite sex). Times are certainly are different now and not so much for the better. In my experience, people react to a neat well dressed person more positively.

Mid 70s skating Junior's in Canada we were required to wear coat and ties anytime we travelled as a team and always into and out of rinks
for games. My last season in Quebec I grew a scraggily beard and let my hair grow pretty long. If I took my teeth out I looked like a cave man
in a suit, maybe even with them in.
Depending on the coach or team manager you did NOT want to show up without the jacket and tie........
Sorta funny when you think about it, most teams would let you grow your hair and beard if you could, till you looked like a Taliban
fighter today, but you had to wear the coat and tie.

redhawker

Buckeye
I can remember dressing in coat (or suit) and tie for church but not for anything like a kid's party. One thing I do remember though was that, back then, people dressed to travel, especially for traveling by air. Just look back at late 50s and early 60s airline photos.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
I'm retired. Jean/sweats and t-shirts. Going out: Cargo pants and a fishing shirt. Winter: Flannel/wool shirts or sweaters/sweatshirts and jeans. Pendleton blanket coat for snowy weather.

wolfsong

Staff member
During my four years of high school (1972 to 1975) I played football. On Friday game day we players were required to wear white dress shirts and a tie.Some of us "sophisticated" players actually tied our ties, the majority, though, wore clip-on ties. My senior year they relaxed the game day dress code somewhat - the starting players could wear their game jerseys in place of shirt and tie.

As far as dances/parties went, proms and balls were evening attire, all other dances/parties were casual attire, mostly blue jeans by both boys and girls.

Paul B

Buckeye
Guess we were a bit more casual in the 50's than most. Parties not quite come as your but casual. Jeans and button up shirts. Shoes ranged from tennis shoes to Wellington boots. School dances shirt, sports jacket and slacks for the most part. Ties were opitonal. Girls wore blouses and skirts for the most part. Proms were quite formal with tuxes, ties cummerbun, I mean the works. Girls wore nice formal gowns. Last prom I went to was in 1962 IIRC. I was i the Air Force and the time and just went in uniform My date wore a nice white formal gown. Ee were constantly being surrounded by somw very lovely young ladies all want to have a dance with the man in the uniform. I was to only GI at that prom. One hell of a night. Kept turning down girls wanting to dance. Just told them I'm with someone and prefer to dance with her. Tme I wonder where she is now? Sent me a Dear John letter two weeks after that prom. Never gave me the reason why.
Paul B.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I’m guessing just a couple of years made a difference. Elementary and junior high guys wore slacks dress shoes and button down shirts. Girls dresses or skirts & blouses. Only “poor” kids wore dungarees.

In high school, 10th to 12th here, something changed. Hair got longer, music got louder, jeans and paisley shirts became the norm. Although cords and a Hang Ten were seen too.

But girls still wore dresses or skirts & blouses. But they started really pushing the length rules. By senior year the mini skirt ruled along with tight fitting “body shirts” with those two alluring snaps in the crotch were in. That was also the year that the dreaded Pants Suit reared it ugly head. I think schools allowed them to try a gain some sense of “decency” in the halls and more secluded corners.

But this was SoCal where the bikinis were getting ever smaller and the mantra of Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll was not just a tagline but a goal.

So really I guess, time and place were the forces that motivated the change in dress and acceptable ( or at least common) behavior. And I wouldn’t have missed a minute of it.

Last edited: