Palmetto State Armory 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1911-blue-premium.html?trk_msg=J1A0KO5L9EV4V1VG3KAPDLHG84&trk_contact=0IJFBQUK2D3P9M0CGUFSQVR7L0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fpsa-1911-blue-premium.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deals+Email&utm_content=5%3a00+Email

Okay so I knew Palmetto State Armory was selling 1911 parts. I had seen posts on some other boards by folks that said they were using parts from there for builds & they were working well. Today I came in & there was an E-mail from there saying they are selling complete pistols. I'm not really wanting one though I would be interested to learn someone elses impressions. They are pricing them right at $800 which seems a bit much to me for an unproven maker. They are jumping right into the same price range as some Springfields & Colts. I do not know why they felt they should put forward serrations on the slide.

As an aside I put together an AR-15 rifle kit from there a few years ago & feel it was a bargain so I'm not anti-PSA I'm just trying to figure out what the attraction would be for someone to buy this pistol. Now maybe if they come down in price some.

DGW1949

Hunter
I read the link and looked at the photos.
Looks like all the other tacticool 1911 clones to me, all of which (to borrow a line from PSA's ad) come with basically the same "loaded with features" features which that particular market demands.
As far as the "forward serrations on the slide" slide go, some folks like 'em, some don't. I'm guessing that PSA is betting that most will. Either way though, as a practical matter, their being there aint really hurting anything.

Is the gun in question worth $800?....yes, no, maybe....it's just now been put out to market, so who knows for sure? Plus, few guns actually sell for MRSP, and if that holds true for this one, that'll perty-much put it in the same ball park with Ruger's SR1911 pricewise, plus a couple of others that could be named (give or take a few bucks).

If ya ask me, most of these "loaded with features" tacticool clones which can be had within the same general price point are perty-much all the same...so if I'd been lusting for a blued steel Ruger, I'd look real hard at the PSA. If I liked the PSA but wish it was made from stainless, I'd buy the Ruger and call it good.....Six of one, half-dozen of the other, and nothing either way to get all that excited about.

DGW

cas6969

Buckeye
Who makes it for them? That logo at the rear of the slide screams RIA, but that doesn't really mean anything.

revhigh

Hawkeye
When you can buy a blue SA RO for 725 or a SS RO for around 800.

Why mess around .... Get the proven gun.

REV

Mike J

Hunter
revhigh said:
When you can buy a blue SA RO for 725 or a SS RO for around 800.

Why mess around .... Get the proven gun.

REV

That is what I was thinking. Unless I am mistaken a Colt can be had for what they are charging for these or very little more. I would be more inclined to go that way if I wanted another 1911 and was spending that much money. I don't have that itch right now though there is a part of me that would like to have a commander sized gun.

I have read posts from people that bought parts for builds from PSA. They said they were high quality & worked well. I read one post on another forum in which the poster stated that they had asked PSA where they were getting their parts from. He said they replied they were buying parts overruns but they would not say from who.