Painting SR9C slide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

balloo93

Bearcat
Only option they had at the time was stainless. I really do not like duotone pistols.

So I am looking at Duracoating the slide to get the look I want. Question is, is it just Stainless or is it coated? You can apply the Duracoat right to stainless with a little prep work, I'm just trying to figure out how much prep work we are talking about.

robalan

Bearcat
I have not done it but I am sure I read that if the present finish is good you just need to clean it and ruff it. Airbrush is recommended for applying it!

balloo93

Bearcat
The Duracoat appears to be the ticket. I have to refinish my Colt Commander, so I'll do that first and see how I like it.

The SR9C will be my summer carry and the Colt my winter carry. A buddy of mine told me to hold off until I decide what holster to conceal carry with as the painted finish my rub and I should just stick with Stainless.

Although, two tone OD green and the black frame would look sweet.

balloo93

Bearcat
Alright, plan of attack will be this:

Duracoat my Colt Commander and see how that works out.

Keep the SR9C stainless for now as it will be my summer carry.

2dogs

Bearcat
Texasgunner":3n6vwjrb said:
The Duracoat wont hold up long with any real holster wear or real use of any kind unless you "baby" it :(

Tex,
Do you have first hand experience with this? ? ?
I was just getting ready to send my .45 off for a two tone Duracoat finish.
it ain't cheap and I was sure hoping it would out last the factory finish that has wore over the last six years with regular holster carry.
please elaborate;

jhearne

Buckeye
Duracoating a Colt Commander before the SR9c? Find you a nice metal treatment facility that can do blackened finishes and see if they'd be willing to work with you. Look for places that do Chemical Heat Treats, and talk to a sales rep and ask about Nitriding a Stainless Slide. Some places will, all places are capable. Depends on how big an operation they are running. Larger places will pass up small jobs as it will either end up being a loss or cost you too much money in the end.

I'd hold off on Duracoating that Commander and see about getting the Slide treated. Might give Ruger a call and see if they'd be willing to refinish it in the blackened finish they do on the Stainless SR9.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
CCR. Yeah, $50 can't be beat. Forgot they did blackened finishes.

Josh

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
2dogs":2d18s8t6 said:
Texasgunner":2d18s8t6 said:
The Duracoat wont hold up long with any real holster wear or real use of any kind unless you "baby" it :(

Tex,
Do you have first hand experience with this? ? ?
I was just getting ready to send my .45 off for a two tone Duracoat finish.
it ain't cheap and I was sure hoping it would out last the factory finish that has wore over the last six years with regular holster carry.
please elaborate;

Yes BUT I was speaking of "do it youself" as i did a couple with kits from i belive Midway-
I'm certain a professinal job would be much more durable (hopefully)