Painting Eagles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I know this is not a smithing issue but years ago whenever I ran across a Ruger with the black eagles chipped and or missing paint, I repainted them with black enamel nail polish...I used to look for black eagle grips at gunshows with chips and would refinish them with the nail polisht...today I see many Rugers being sold with missing paint or chip in the eagles. Is it wrong to repaint the eagles?
Charlie

Pinecone

Blackhawk
charlies, I have never seen any problem with re-painting emblems, sights, etc. as long as one is not trying to "deceive" for profit such as painting black eagles "red", etc. I think it's simply a personal choice!....................Dick :wink:

caryc

Hawkeye
I've found that when repairing chipped eagles one can usually see the lines in the new paint where the chip was. If you can get the medallion out without screwing up the grip there is an easy fix.

Take a small amount of paint stripper and brush the medallion with it. The original paint comes off very easily. This is a good time to polish the face.

Use some Simi Chrome or Flitz. Rub some on a soft cloth and briskly rub the face on it on a table top.

I use semi gloss black paint thinned just a tad. I use a small model brush to paint the medallion. Let the paint set up a few minutes then place a piece of printer paper on a table top. Hold the medallion by the post and rub it down the full length of the paper. All the paint comes off from where it's not supposed to be. Works great.

J Miller

Blackhawk
I've refinished a grand total of one black eagle medallion.

I removed all the old paint then degreased it and sprayed it with Rustoleum semi gloss black paint. Then before it dried I rubbed the surface of the medallion across some smooth cardboard which removed all the paint from the raised surfaces leaving the indented areas nicely painted.

Worked great.

Joe

caryc

Hawkeye
J Miller":6dvpaxb0 said:
I've refinished a grand total of one black eagle medallion.

I removed all the old paint then degreased it and sprayed it with Rustoleum semi gloss black paint. Then before it dried I rubbed the surface of the medallion across some smooth cardboard which removed all the paint from the raised surfaces leaving the indented areas nicely painted.

Worked great.

Joe

Joe, sounds like you and I think alike I used Rustoleum Satin Black #7777. The little can that I had finally dried up and I can't get the Rustoleum here anymore so I had to buy a can of Ace Satin black. I haven't actually used it yet. I hope it looks the same as the #7777.

Cardboard....typing paper.... what the heck, it's rubs the excess paint off nicely. :mrgreen: