Paco Kelly Accurizer range report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cos

Bearcat
I just ordered and received my Paco Kelly Accurizer. I bought two boxes each of Peters and Federal Champion 22's (cheap stuff).

I Accurized one box of each and did a little comparison at the range today. Shooting a New Model Single Six, SS with 4 5/8" barrel. The gun has had a really good trigger job.

At 12 yards, from sandbags, the results with both brands of ammo was the same. I shot 5 groups with each brand right out of the box. Then I shot 5 groups with each with the Paco dish nose.

I will admit I was a little skeptical about the Accurizer but read many good things here.
All the groups with the box stock ammo averaged about 2 inches. Damn little Accurizer works. My average group with the Accurizer ammo shrunk to about 1 inch. Almost every group had a flyer or some would have been close to 1/2". I may have one chamber in the cylinder that is throwing a flyer (something to check during another range session).

Conclusion: This is one neat little tool. I did send Paco a bullet that I pushed through the bore.

reakin

Single-Sixer
I'm still a little fuzzy on how this Accurizer works. I've seen pictures of the thing, and I've seen pictures of the end result with the bullts smushed into dish shaped or slightly expanded hollow points. But no one has actually explained how the thing works. Do you put a round in it and beat it with a hammer? Smack it off a table? Turn it in a drill motor? How does one use this tool?

reakin

flatgate

Hawkeye
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reakin:
<B> Do you put a round in it and beat it with a hammer?
reakin</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that's the deal. The tool allows the hammer blow to reshape the bullet's nose into one of several different shapes and also swedges UP the diameter of the projectile.

My humble opinion? It's AWESOME!, for my needs in my guns. I go with a dished bullet nose that's sorta like the Flat Point Hard Cast bullets I shoot in my big bores.
Believe me when I say you can see and hear the "end results" when shooting varmints. Cock the hammer, align the sights, squeeze the trigger, hear a "bang" then a sharp "thump" as that bullet drops the dreaded vermin......

flatgate

PS Your mileage may vary according to your gun and shooting skills

reakin

Single-Sixer
OK, Now I'm getting the idea.

Really stupid question time - no chance in setting off a round while doing this?

reakin

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reakin:
<B>OK, Now I'm getting the idea.

Really stupid question time - no chance in setting off a round while doing this?

reakin</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That, I think, is the first thing that goes through everyones mind when they see this thing. I wouldn't want to whack it on an uneven surface!

Has has anyone heard of something like this cooking a round off? I would think that it would be hard to do, but I would be weary of liability if I were Mr. Paco. Sure that there has to be a disclaimer.

But then again those bulk boxes have 550 rounds rattling around loose and there aren't any "surprises" that I have heard of with them.

George Tucker

Blackhawk
I have a small round tool that is chambered with a 22lr reamer, you stick the 22 shell in it, part of the lead bullet sticks out past the tool, take a file and file the bullet, even with the tool, the bullet than has a flat face, like the 44 and 45 cast bullets, it does not improve accuracy, but the effect on animals is outstanding, it does twice the damage of a reg 22, Speers has a 22 shell called a small game bullet, it is copied off this same design, i have made several of these, after seeing them being sold, the only hard part of making one is the tool has to be hardened after chambering, so the file wont cut into the tool, its nothing like Pacos tool, because it does not help accuracy, but most 22 firearms are accurate enough, especally Rifles, George.

------------------
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

CraigC

Hawkeye
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Tucker:
<B>I have a small round tool that is chambered with a 22lr reamer, you stick the 22 shell in it, part of the lead bullet sticks out past the tool, take a file and file the bullet, even with the tool, the bullet than has a flat face, like the 44 and 45 cast bullets, it does not improve accuracy, but the effect on animals is outstanding, it does twice the damage of a reg 22, Speers has a 22 shell called a small game bullet, it is copied off this same design, i have made several of these, after seeing them being sold, the only hard part of making one is the tool has to be hardened after chambering, so the file wont cut into the tool, its nothing like Pacos tool, because it does not help accuracy, but most 22 firearms are accurate enough, especally Rifles, George.

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like an SGB tool.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Want accuracy? One word: Eley

With Paco's tool or any other serious attempt to accurize 22 ammo, every round must be weight-sorted for best results. Separating your ammo by .1 grain lots will still yield the best accuracy & consistent grouping for the effort.

Huntinfool

Bearcat
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mohavesam:
<B>Want accuracy? One word: Eley

With Paco's tool or any other serious attempt to accurize 22 ammo, every round must be weight-sorted for best results. Separating your ammo by .1 grain lots will still yield the best accuracy & consistent grouping for the effort. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true but the idea behind the Paco tool is to swage the .22 LR bullet up a notch.

Because the Ruger Single Six Convertible has a barrel made for the .22 WMR which is slightly larger than the .22 LR!

I can see one of these in my near future! LOL!

Chuck

------------------
Yesterday Is Wood, Tomorrow Is Ashes.
Only Today Does The Fire Burn Brightly.
Visit my web site
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/huntinfool/

Pale Rider

Bearcat
I'm still a little fuzzy on how this Accurizer works. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it work on the copper plated 22LR ammo as well as the unplated lead stuff?

PR

flatgate

Hawkeye
PR, I believe it will.

Eley Ammo? It was no better than bulk pack Federal in my Single-Six.

Pacoized ammo beats them all, for me, in my guns.

JMHO,

flatgate

Huntinfool

Bearcat
You know I'm not so sure about all this stuff. I just did some checking and the .22 LR bullet is supposed to be 0.224" or 5.68 mm!

I couldn't find the specs for a .22 WMR bullet.

But I just checked my Win. Dynapoints and they are slightly larger than 0.224 closer to 0.226".

While my Federal Premium 30 grain Sierra bullet measures 0.200. Now both these are measured just in front of the brass.

Could it be that the .22 WMR expands more due to more power or what else explains this?

Has anyone miked the ID of some barrels?

Chuck

------------------
Visit my web site

Cos

Bearcat
Huntinfool-When I ordered my Accurizer I sent Paco a .22 bullet that I pushed thru the bore of my New Model Single Six. The Accurizer he sent me, based on the bullet, is .222 on one end and .223 on the other.

Hope that helps. I would not order the Accurizer without sending him a bullet.

Pale Rider-Works just the same on the copper coated stuff.

[This message has been edited by Cos (edited 04-12-2007).]

Huntinfool

Bearcat
How did you go about getting that bullet that had passed through your SS bore?

Seems like shooting into any type of matter might change the size of the bullet.

Another question Cos have checked the diameter of bullets before and after using the Paco tool?

Chuck

------------------
Visit my web site

[This message has been edited by Huntinfool (edited 04-12-2007).]

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
I have one, I gave one to my best shooting buddy and I have an extra for my son when he comes of age.

I have a Savage M24 .22Lr/.410ga. Accurized bullets shoot the better from it than hollow points. They work great out of a Bearcat too.

I did not swage a bullet and send it to Paco. I shoot so many .22's with different bores I figure the median will work most of the time. It has so far.

I use rubber gasket material from Ace Hardware as a layer between the wooden block I work on. The rubber resists the blow a bit yet not to much. Calthrop

StevenB

Bearcat
I have the deluxe Acu'rzr in the .223 and .224 diameter and love this little tool.
acurzrNoseShapes-1.jpg

Accurizertoolbody.jpg

It shrunk my groups all except the American Eagle ammo. I dont know what happened there but it made the groups bigger.
taget1.jpg

[This message has been edited by StevenB (edited 04-13-2007).]

Cos

Bearcat
Huntinfool-I took a bullet out of a .22 round. Just push the bullet hard to the side on your workbench and you can get it out. I then pushed the bullet thru the barrel from the bore end. I pushed my rod against the base of the bullet to limit any deforming.

I have not done any measuring with my caliper yet. I am going trout fishing this week. I will measure and post when I get home.