Pachmayr "Swing Lo" Scope Mount on Mini 14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have a 1976 made Mini 14 and came across a Pachmayr "Swing Lo" scope mount for the 180 series specifically.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1383790

It's a drill & tap mount. For $21.00, with the brass deflector included, a good deal. They usually run $75.00 to $125.00 depending on the rifle. I've used them on several others - Marlin 62, Whitworth Express, Savage 99s and Winchester 88 and 100, etc. Although they have more recoil the Mini does have a lot of "slam bang" action to it. Anyone mounted one of these on the Mini and how has it worked out?

Also, my Mini carries the "made in 200th Year" inscription which while making it a bit different am supposing I'm not committing sacrilege by drilling & tapping, yes?

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Pretty much leaning that way. Has 4 mounting screws, I don't think drilling will weaken the receiver at all. There's enough meat there to not go "through & through".

BTW, just checked Numrich and evidently I got the last one. Guess that means I have to use it - or put it on EBay for $300.00. ;)

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I have one for a rem 742 and it works awesome .Elmer Keith even liked them on dangerous game rifles .I tried the side mount on my 180 series and it shoots to the left 2 feet .

dfletcher

Blackhawk
dgr416 said:
I have one for a rem 742 and it works awesome .Elmer Keith even liked them on dangerous game rifles .I tried the side mount on my 180 series and it shoots to the left 2 feet .

Yes, can be a bit of a challenge to get lined up. Guy I'm sending to revived an old Enfield T for me so I'm hopeful it can get done.

Total disaster for me. I had one of these installed back in 1979 on my Mini 14.
Unfortunately the gunsmith was a Bubba. He screwed up 2 of the mounting holes
which I didn't discover until I removed the mount. My mount didn't have a Brass
deflector, so every shot would knock the mount up no matter how hard it was
tightened down. I filed down the mount so the scope could be rotated 90 degrees
to the left to avoid Brass hitting the scope turret, but that didn't work either.
Eventually just removed the mount and discovered the Bubba drill and tap job.
Still have the Mini 14 with the holes in the receiver.

Shawn 8-(

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have the brass deflector, the guy I'm using has a good rep and does work for CHP so I hope all goes well. One thing I noticed - the top left screwhole lines up perfectly with the 1st digit of the serial number. Can't move the mount too much, so I suppose the 1st challenge is repositioning a new screwhole on the base.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Mini 14 doesn't have a buffer like mini 14 ranch rifle. Get a scope with etched cross hairs or you will knock cross hairs out on your scope. Seen it multiple times in the old days. Rob Dearden at Ruger (head armorer) clued me into that when I went to armorer school. They changed the extraction on the Ranch rifle also. The other thing is with a scope you find out they are only about a 4 moa rifle! Best not to scope one it just ends in disappointment.