Pachmayr grips...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Longshoreman

Bearcat
Ok guys I have read a lot on these grips and how many many folks here think they have no business on a SA. I however like the way they fill my hand and gives my little finger something to hold on to.

The reason for my post is this: I had to tap out the pin that is in the corner of the frame down at the but end under the grips, just below the lock on the NM. I tried and tried to get the Pachmayrs to fit, there is a corresponding hole that the pin fits, but the grip is about 1/8 from being flush with the frame. I didn't think that was right, so I tapped out the pin and the new one peice Pachmayrs fit like they were made for it. It doesn't feel loose at all, my go to guy said he wouldn't worry about it, so I'm asking you guys that know so much more than I do...did I screw up by removing that pin?

I won't post pics of my 50th ann .44 with the Pachmayrs on her...you guys might throw rocks at me...

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
I am interested in this too. I had the same problem but I was reluctant to tap out the pin. I believe that the poor fit is due to more than just the pin though.

The root cause is that Pachmayr put a goofy metal frame inside the rubber grips. The rubber is formed around the metal. And it is the metal that causes the poor fit; the "old" grips (i.e. without the metal) fit just fine.

I tried to put the grips on a New Model Blackhawk, not my 50th Anniversary model.

Dave

Longshoreman

Bearcat
Thanks w51x...that's exactly what my Smith told me. He has a locker full of both old and new model Rugers and has done the same for the exact same problem. I wanted to bounce it off you guys too.

Appreciate it...

w5lx":17ck0n4q said:
Longshoreman":17ck0n4q said:
..did I screw up by removing that pin?

It won't hurt a thing to remove that pin. It's there simply to index the grips on.

Longshoreman

Bearcat
As was I. I figured that pin was put there for a reason. That goofy metal frame you mentioned has two additional cut-outs that the pin could go in if one removed the rubber in them. I tried to remove the rubber in the lower hole thinking it would match up with the position of the pin. No go, and now Pachmayr wouldn't take them back if I tried to return them.

Glupy":2nxmb883 said:
I am interested in this too. I had the same problem but I was reluctant to tap out the pin. I believe that the poor fit is due to more than just the pin though.

The root cause is that Pachmayr put a goofy metal frame inside the rubber grips. The rubber is formed around the metal. And it is the metal that causes the poor fit; the "old" grips (i.e. without the metal) fit just fine.

I tried to put the grips on a New Model Blackhawk, not my 50th Anniversary model.

Dave

Dale53

Blackhawk
First of all, the Ruger .44 Lipsey Special has a different grip frame than the original BlackHawks did (it is steel, the originals were aluminum and they are different widths).

The Pachmayr grips that most nearly fit are those for the Colt Single Action Army. You have to remove the grip frame pin (as you already discovered). I have two of the latest Rugers with the steel XR3 grip frame (the .44 Lipsey Special and the 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum). Through the kindness of a Forum member, What Cheer (he sent me a set of the Colt SAA grips) I gained this information. I have since found some new grips online., which I shared with a friend. I now have both of my Rugers so outfitted and LOVE them.

The Colt SAA grips aren't a perfect fit, but very close. I am MORE than happy with them. I have rather large hands and MUCH prefer to have all my fingers on the grips (my hands don't work well with the little finger tucked under the grip).

I have found that at first the grips look like they don't fit. You just need to work them a bit, forcing them into the correct position and holding while you tighten the grip screw. I have NOT had them move after doing this. All in all, this has saved the day for me.

I don't believe that either Pachmayr NOR Hogue's intend to make grips for the new XR3 grip frames, hence the "make do"...

DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0388.jpg

Dale53

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I love the pachmayr's. I have 11 set's on ruger single actions. I like the feel and have the presentation grips on all my pistols. That way they all feel the same in my hand. I like the 4 5/8" bbls and most of my rugers are the same. from my 22 to my 45's they all feel the same in my hand so I don't have to adjust to the feel of the pistol. Also I think the rubber helps a little with the recoil. Most people think it's a sin to put pach's on a single action. These are my guns and I use what I like. Yes I have removed wood grips and put the rubber in it's place. I have a pile of the plastic grips and some wood ones also put up so if I ever decide to get rid of a pistol it will have the option of either grip set.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
They're your guns. Don't be swayed by what anonymous voices on an Internet forum say. You own your guns to please yourself (hopefully), not to live up to standards that other people have.

I've got Pachys on several guns, though no SAs. I'm considering putting the Presentation grip on my 4" Redhawk .44. All my other Pachys are either Gripper Decelerators (with the metal frame), or regular Grippers (no frame).

-- Sam

yessir, them "rubbber baby buggy bumpers" have a place out there and many folks do indeed like them.....yes, the pin can be removed to make the fit better , or cut/shorten the pin, whatever works for YOU and YOUR gun......alll I can add is to check under the grips often, and maybe grease the frame before installing them, ,,,,,,,,as they are 'rubber' and will NOT absorb any moisture from condensation , as wood can and will, so the frame underneath will get rusted up in very little time, yes, even the stainless steel version guns..........an ounce of prevention................

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
I had a similar problem putting a set of pach decelerators on a SBH. The pin holes weren't fitting right. They bottom of the grips wouldn't close together. I took a look at them and noticed they weren't drilled deep enough something like a 1/16th of a inch. I drilled them a little deeper and they fit great. As far as using pachs goes the guns are made to be shot not win a beauty contest! :D

Longshoreman

Bearcat
rugerguy":2njy7ija said:
yessir, them "rubbber baby buggy bumpers" have a place out there and many folks do indeed like them.....yes, the pin can be removed to make the fit better , or cut/shorten the pin, whatever works for YOU and YOUR gun......alll I can add is to check under the grips often, and maybe grease the frame before installing them, ,,,,,,,,as they are 'rubber' and will NOT absorb any moisture from condensation , as wood can and will, so the frame underneath will get rusted up in very little time, yes, even the stainless steel version guns..........an ounce of prevention................

Thanks for this. I never thought about condensation under the grip. My safe is not tempretature controlled either...

22bond

Single-Sixer
I like the look of the wood grips.
But I shoot a lot better w/the pachmayr's so I am going to put pachmayr on all my BKHs.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
The pachmayrs arent pretty but they work better for me and with the same grips on all my single actions they all feel the same except for the weight. I shoot fairly good groups with all my pistols and contribute part of that to the same feel in all of them. Besides with pretty wood it doesnt stay pretty with use the pach's are the same all the way through not pretty but functional and feel good to me.