P97DC stovepipes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ken 66

Bearcat
I think I am having trouble with the rim of the empty cartridge hitting the brass/lead interface of the next cartridge to be chambered as the slide goes back. This marks the lead, but peels back the brass enough so it will not chamber. It will occur about once every two magazines. I am shooting the Lyman 452460 with the shoulder about 0.040 inch out of the brass.

I have lots of P series pistols in various calibers, and am bullheaded enough to have worked on this one to try to get it reliable on and off for five years. It is working the best it ever has. Mike helped me with the slides dropping years ago. I compared the extractor operation to a P90, and couldn't establish any unusual differences. I bought it used, so no idea if it was abused, but I suspect it was shot lots more than the seller mentioned. Most springs replaced, cleaned a few times, extractor bent to get this good. I have never sent a firearm back to Ruger and don't want to start. I love shooting them aa well as fixing them!

Any ideads would be apprectiated. I will get this one to work before I kick in.

Regards,
Ken

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Ken, How does factory ammo work? I'm not familiar with the bullet you mention. I use commercially cast bullets and My P97 will feed most any decent reloads with 200 to 230 gr lead. Overall length maybe??

ken 66

Bearcat
Actually, I have never bought factory ammo for a .45! The Lyman 452460 I referred to is the old faithful 200 grain SWC. I have tried a longer overall length, but the cartridge would not drop fully into the barrel. The other Ruger's I have will allow a longer overall length and still chamber, so this barrel is a little tight. On the searches in this forum, the consensus on overall length with this bullet seems to be what I am using.

I also have a Round Nose 230 grain mold that I think I will try. Darn, that old 200 grain is so accurate!

Thanks for the response.

Ken

railroader

Single-Sixer
You might want to try loading your rounds a little hotter. I have found that rounds that run fine in kimber and bul impact don't have quite enough pop for my p97. When I load them a little hotter they run ok in the p97. Factory ammo runs fine in the p97. I also load my 200swc ammo to 1.250" to 1.255". When I'm done making my rounds I run them through a Lee factory crimp die which resizes the cases. Mark

resident

Single-Sixer
My experience with sending it back to Ruger for free repair is excellent service, and reasonable turn-around.