P97 failure

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I've been silently sitting on the sidelines, But now have a question.
I went to a IDPA shoot yesterday and my "hardly been shot" Ruger P97 had "failure to fire" about every 3-4 shots. Had to fire double action to re-hit the round. Upon inspection of the failure to fires, I found light to no primer hits on the rounds. What could be blocking the firing pin? Too light of a hammer spring? Should it go back to the factory? Any help will be appreciated.

9x19

Hunter
Have you made any changes?

If you've replaced the hammer spring, it could very well be too light.

railroader

Single-Sixer
I had a wolf 19lb. hammer spring in my p97 for a while I think stock is 22lbs. Anyway it started getting light primer strikes so I put the stock spring back in. Now it's fine. The funny thing is my p95 works fine with a 19lb. spring. Mark

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I haven't made any changes, the gun was bought new and only had a couple of mags thru it. (16 rounds) I've run carb cleaner down the firing pin hole to de-grease and hopefully clean out anything that could be hanging up the firing pin movement and then re-lubed it. If this doesn't work I'll send it back to Ruger. Thanks for the replies.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
buscadero, you might want to check and make sure the trigger blocker mechanism moves up and down freely. With the slide off and upside down it's at the rear on the left hand side. A little round piston. I had a bit of a problem with mine once. I think my problem was over oiling and dirt collecting around it. Blew it out well with carb cleaner then small drop of Breakfree. In my case it solved the problem :)

Latest posts