P95dc 9mm, mag doesn't drop out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CBH

Bearcat
I have three ten round mags for this gun, none of them will drop free. I believe there might be crud under the mag release. Can someone tell me how to remove those associated parts to clean it out? Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
I don't have a gun to check that with except my P-85. It will allow the empty mags to fall completely out only when held to where the mag is pointed at the ground. If I can't it sideways much, the only slide part of the way out.
As for cleaning under that area. Unless you are handy with guns, disassembly of the mag release might be tricky for you. However, you can use brake cleaner spray in that area. Remove the grips, and spray liberally. Or, remove the grips, and soak it in Kerosene to loosen crud. Blow dry with compressed air & see if that helps.

CBH

Bearcat
Thank you for the reply, but the P95dc is a polymer receiver with no removable grip panels. Any other ideas to get these parts off? I put in a call to Ruger today, perhaps they will call me tomorrow.

Bruce H.

Bearcat
Are the magazines Ruger factory or an aftermarket brand? I have had aftermarket magazines that do not fit correctly into the magazine well. The only magazines that I trust in my P95 are Ruger factory and MecGar.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
CBH, Remember that with "Polymer" frames, there will "always" be flexing of the polymer with each shot fired. This is a given! With flexing, after a period of time, things do not fit as well as they did when initially assembled. Look at the many "problems" with the Glocks. When you "buy" this junk, you get what you pay for. The factories did not come out with polymer for "your" sake and comfort, they came out with it to have "cheaper" assembly costs and to "raise" their profit margin. This is a "fact" of life today. Personally, I will not entertain their "interests" by spending my money on their plastic "JUNK"!....................Dick :!:

CBH

Bearcat
All of my mags are Ruger factory. I am not a fan of plastic however this gun was reasonably priced, I intend to give it to my B-I-L as he is not a gun owner. If he refuses it I will simply leave it in my Dodge Raider 4x4. Thanks for the replies.

Pinecone":3q40kqlv said:
CBH, Remember that with "Polymer" frames, there will "always" be flexing of the polymer with each shot fired. This is a given! With flexing, after a period of time, things do not fit as well as they did when initially assembled. Look at the many "problems" with the Glocks. When you "buy" this junk, you get what you pay for. The factories did not come out with polymer for "your" sake and comfort, they came out with it to have "cheaper" assembly costs and to "raise" their profit margin. This is a "fact" of life today. Personally, I will not entertain their "interests" by spending my money on their plastic "JUNK"!....................Dick :!:

I think calling it "junk" is a bit much. And lets not compare a Glock to a Ruger. I bought my first P95DC with the "Polymer" frame back in 1999 and have had no problems at all with it. Proper and regular cleaning and lube is the key to function. I don't see the point in spending 2 to 3 times the amount for a handgun when my "junk" as you call it will do the same thing as your over priced metal "P O S"!! 8)

wildturk

Single-Sixer
Pinecone":13fabhz2 said:

I think your way out of line with these "comments". If the slide area of the polymer guns shows no wear after thousands of rounds, to think the mag issue is caused by wear is ridiculous, as is the amount of flex you imagine. If anything this is a mag or dirt build up causing the issue. Obviously you don't have much range time or experience with polymer framed guns. The weight reduction and recoil absorbing advantages are what a "polymer" framed pistols are all about. Comparing plastic to polymer is an illusion, plastic would never hold up. So.... calling polymer junk is an opinion resulting from lack of knowledge and experience with such a firearm.

Spray some Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe Cleaner (Silver lid not the Black lid stuff) inside the frame in and around the mag release area. Then spray a little lube, I spray a dry lube in that area inside the frame and then place a small dot of oil at the seam of the mag release buttons and work the oil in by pressing the button in and out repeatedly and wipe the excess off the outside. I do that with every cleaning and have had my first P95 since 1999 with no issues at all. In fact the "polymer" has no wear marks at all that I can find. I have shot probably close to 7000 rounds thru it maybe more.

railroader

Single-Sixer
I just got a new p95 and the mags wouldn't drop free either. I have 10 round factory mags. I did a couple of things. The 10 round base pads were slightly larger than metal mag tubes so I sanded the base pads so are the same size now. I also noticed that the top front and rear of the mag was binding slightly. I took just the mag tubes and put the rear of the tube on a 2 by 4 block with a block of wood on the front of the mag. I hit the block on the front with a hammer. This fixed the front to rear binding of the mags. One other area I notice is if you you shove the mags in hard, the ejector would bind a little on the inside rear of the left feedlip of the mag. This would kind of grab the mag. I took just a hair off that spot on the mag and it drops free now. I haven't shot the gun yet but I will shoot it this saturday. I'll post my results. Mark

cnj

Bearcat
Pinecone said:

Wow.......at least your name fits you.......

Latest posts