P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

uncle46

Bearcat
Hi all I bought a new P95 Black about a month ago along with the LCP, got them home and cleaned them both. Next day went to the range. I fired the LCP first and was very impressed, not one problem after putting 50 rds of fmj. Next came the P95 1st rd was good, than the slide locked back, I had to release the magazine to get the slide to close, than had to rack the slide to ger another rd chambered it fired and the next one fired, but than the slide locked back again. I tried the other magazine and it was doing the same thing about every other rd. I fired 50 rds that way and gave up. Took the gun home cleaned and oiled it up and went back to the range the next day. Much better but it did lock back twice out of 50 rds. Got it home and cleaned it again. I was using wwb and blaizer fmj. I have 100 rds through it now, and will try it again this week when I go to the range. Any Idea's what could be causing the slide to lock back?

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
I had numerous FTF and stovepipes my very first time out with my P95 plinking Remington UMC rounds; I took it home & cleaned it & lubed it with Break Free CLP (was able to field strip it thanks to you all here on the forum :)) and I took it back to the range & have run about 300 WWB and a few Gold Saber's, Remington HP's, and Winchester SXZ9's without incident.

I chalked it up to me being a first time semi auto owner, not cleaning it before I fired it new from the box, and limp wristing.

I never did experience the slide locking back, but I'm curious to hear what the others think!

S&W Fan

Bearcat
My first pistol was a P95. Bought it back in 2006. I thought it was pretty decent for the money i paid. Since then iv owned about 4 pistols and 1 revolver. Not sure whats causing your problem but id be willing to bet it needs a break in period. Run 200 rounds through her and see how well she does. the trigger might loosen up a little to. When i got my p95 i couldnt use the hammer at first for single action. Had to put some rounds through her and she softened up. jusgt a thought!

uncle46

Bearcat
I was thinking the same thing. 200-300 rds. This is not my first auto loader, I also have a glock 27, it has performed great right out of the box. I wanted the Ruger because of the Double and single action, with an exposed hammer. I have more carry options with the Ruger than the Glock, I also carry my CPX-1 also is a good performer. The LCP has had about 100 rds through it and it performes very well and is always with me.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
At around a thousand rounds my P95 started having issues with the slide not locking open after the last round. failures to extract. I thought something is broke. This was after firing 200 rounds in a session.

Cleaned it up and all works well.

I discovered I may have oiled it with the hoppes a little too much and it was windy and in a place where the dirt flies.

I have since just used my beloved gunslick on the slide and left the rest without oil and by golly it will go through 500 rounds without cleaning or hiccup.

It is my every day carry choice so I did worry when I had the issue but understood I had been through a good many rounds before my first failure.

It wasn't broken it was dirty.

Takes longer to get dirty without the oil all over things. It was a my bad that caused my issues.

tk

Nickelboy

Bearcat
My first P95 was back in 96 or 97, not real sure exactly, bought it new and shot the snot out it. Easily over 3000 rounds!! We use to reload until our arms hurt, then go shoot and pick up cases until our backs hurt and do it all over again the next weekend. I don't ever remember that gun jamming. Was young and stupid and had to get rid of it! But I recently picked up a used one and fell back in love.........

Not sure I was any help with the problems your having but the P95 can't be beat!!

uncle46

Bearcat
I'm glad to hear all the positive things about it. I will shoot 50 more rds this week.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
When I got my p 95 I couldn't even hand cycle rounds though it because the top round in the magazine would push the ejector over and it would bind against the slide. I filled metal off the slide where it was binding and it cleared up problem. i also had an extractor that was week and would not extract spent rounds every now and again. i bent extractor to get more tension and problem solved.

uncle46

Bearcat
My P-95 is about a month old. I keep 10 Rd's of sd ammo loaded in magazines, today I went to replace the ammo with range ammo and it seemed that the spring tension was very week. this was on both magazines. When I did the same thing with the glock magazines they still felt like they had lots of tension. I am wondering if I got a set of bad springs with the P-95 or has anybody else noticed this and is it normal? They really felt like they wouldn't feed properly, very slow getting the next round up when I was unloading the magazines. By the way these are the 15 rd mags.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Try them by actually shooting them. The dynamics of loading and hand cycling are completely different than the dynamics caused by firing. You can't tell anything by hand cycling or loading.

I'm sure those mags are just fine ...

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Go ahead and fill the mag up it will stiffen right up for you.

Like Rev says it the mags should work just fine upon firing.

tk

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
uncle46,

When you bought the P95, did you clean the inside of the mags as well?

If you have not cleaned inside the mags, I would suggest cleaning those as well.

Charlie

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Out of all the handguns I've had I've found the ones for my p95 to be the stiffest. I don't even try to load 15 rounds. I keep 10 in mag and one in pipe.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
uncle46":7bjrwefw said:
My P-95 is about a month old. I keep 10 Rd's of sd ammo loaded in magazines, today I went to replace the ammo with range ammo and it seemed that the spring tension was very week. this was on both magazines. When I did the same thing with the glock magazines they still felt like they had lots of tension. I am wondering if I got a set of bad springs with the P-95 or has anybody else noticed this and is it normal? They really felt like they wouldn't feed properly, very slow getting the next round up when I was unloading the magazines. By the way these are the 15 rd mags.

Mine I keep loaded, one with 15 rounds of SD ammo, the other with target rounds... they seem to have loosed about 1-2% if that... I still need the speedloader to fill em up!

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I have never needed the help of a loader since day one with any of my Ruger mags. By the time a couple of hundred rounds have been fired through them they are quite easy to load all the way to 15. I keep them filled with SD ammo.

tk

uncle46

Bearcat
Charlie I did clean the mags. I will say this that I had to use a loading tool to get 15 rds in at first now I don't I can load the mags without it. If I leave the mags empty overnight than I need the tool to load them. If I load them and use the right away the springs seem fine, its only if I leave the mags loaded overnight. I will leave them loaded until I go to the range on Thursday and see how they function. Thanks everyone for the replies.

uncle46

Bearcat
Put another 100 rds through today, slide locked back once when it shouldn't have and didn't lock back once when it should have. Still can't trust this gun for concealed carry. I will put another 100 rds through her next week and see how it does. The LCP had 70 rds put through her and it was flawless, I put 20 rds of pow r ball 70 gr and 50 rds of federal fmj. The pow r ball recoil was lite but made a sharper bang and larger flash.

Latest posts