P95 Sight Alignment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NC-P95

Bearcat
Just curious if Ruger does any sight alignment on the P95 before they leave the factory, or do they just slide them into the dovetail and send them out the door...

Reason for asking, the rear sight on my P95 isn't in the middle/center of the dovetail but rather slid to the right, btween 1/16" and 1/32"... Enought that you can easily hang your fingernail on the bottom of the sight on one side and on the dovetail on the other side...

Should I try to put this dead center of the slide?

Thanks in advance.

Ganderson

Bearcat
NC-P95":30ua3p7j said:
Just curious if Ruger does any sight alignment on the P95 before they leave the factory, or do they just slide them into the dovetail and send them out the door...

Reason for asking, the rear sight on my P95 isn't in the middle/center of the dovetail but rather slid to the right, btween 1/16" and 1/32"... Enought that you can easily hang your fingernail on the bottom of the sight on one side and on the dovetail on the other side...

Should I try to put this dead center of the slide?

Thanks in advance.

The sights (especially the front) on my SR9 were way off center out of the box so I'm pretty sure Ruger just kinda slaps them in.

I would center them up as close as you can and go from there when sighting in.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I would shoot any handgun and then see which way I thought I should move the sight. 3 yards will show you enough to get them right.

tk

NC-P95

Bearcat
tkarter":2nk2h7v8 said:
I would shoot any handgun and then see which way I thought I should move the sight. 3 yards will show you enough to get them right.

tk

Thanks! I shot at 3 yards the other day and it doesn't hit where the sights are..so I'm sure they're off... I didn't have an Allen wrench with me to adjust them or I'd tried... Next time I will... Would like to do it today, but we've got snow on the ground and I've been busy with other things..

Thanks again!

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
You'll be needing more than an allen wrench-----punch(preferably brass) and hammer also.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I used a brass punch on mine the first time I had to move it. Which was when I installed the night sights.

Always drift the sight to the right a bit before going left. It may not cause any harm to go left a bit but I like to make sure things move right first.

If all you have is a steel punch then pad it a bit with a rag and make the sight move. It won't hurt anything. Unless you scratch the slide then you have a scratch to live with.

Make it shoot straight and you will enjoy your P95.

Then forget the sights and start point shooting it. :D

tk

railroader

Single-Sixer
I use a piece of hardwood(a piece sledge hammer handle) and a ball peen hammer to move the rear sight. It doesn't mar the finish. mark

NC-P95

Bearcat
Just adjusted mine... Tried a hardwood dowel and a small ball peen hammer, going to the right before I tried to make it go left... no go... the dowel finally broke before the sight would budge. I finally clamped the slide into my gunmakers vice and used the same hammer with a brass punch, and after much hammering...finally, it moved.

After putting it "where I wanted it", in the middle of the slide as opposed to how it came from the factory, when I reinstalled the set screw, I screw it all the way in, and the backed it back out. I wanted to see the "little ring mark" that the set screw makes to see how much I'd actually moved it from it's original location. My "new" set screw marking almost cut the original one in half...almost...

At any rate, I feel better now. :lol:

If it warms up here tomorrow, gets above freezing, I'm gonna warm the barrel with some of the new WWB ammo I FINALLY got from WalMart today!

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Line up the sights on a rest. Good sight picture. Squeeze trigger. Note where target it hit. Was it where you were aiming? If no then which way was it off?

If left and not the way you pulled trigger move rear sight to the right a bit and shoot again.

Is that one where you aimed? If not which way is it off?

Mostly sighting in should be fun.

Low left usually means you are still dealing with a tough DA trigger IMHO.

Maybe that is why Ruger is hanging the sights out to the right a bit.

tk

NC-P95

Bearcat
sicboy13":26nus8ik said:
that's why mine still shoots low & to the left. I am scared to go whackin at it with a punch... :oops:

I was a bit scared too... I tried the wooden dowel, but couldn't get it to budge... My thoughts are, I'd rather have a slightly marred sight that works, than one that doesn't work, unmarred... if it doesn't work, it's of no use to me. I wanted them where they needed to be... I used a brass punch and it didn't make a mark... After I was done, I was sure that it did mark it a bit, there was a slight "brass" coloration from the punch, but that easily wiped off with my finger...

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Guys you are only working on a 325 dollar pistol. Make it work for you and it will work good a long time. Don't you will sell it at a loss then someone that isn't afraid to make it work will get a good deal.

IMHO

tk