P95 recoil spring collar question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rooger

Single-Sixer
When I was cleaning my P95 DC, the recoil spring collar retainer and the collar came off. As I started to reassemble it, i noticed the collar has slightly different size openings. Which way does the smaller opening face: toward the front or rear of the gun? Also, it appears the retainer can be dislodged easily. Is there a better way to prevent it from falling off again? Thanks for your help!

there should be a small ring that holds the collar on the end... I've been told the collar does not have to have that ring, you can put it back together in the gun with out the holding ring and it will work fine.

Here are two pictures that might help,
1st one is with the collar on as it should be, 2nd one is with the two springs pulled back and the collar sitting back a little so you can see the ring.

DSCN0269.jpg

DSCN0268.jpg

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I haven't had a problem with mine on any of my P series, but I know several here have posted about problems and how they (the collar) kept breaking off. I know more than one person has said they just got rid of the collar and it works fine that way. You just have to remember when you take it apart to be ready to grab that spring. Do a search on the forum.

timjo1955a

Bearcat
Several years ago, I had the same situation with 2 Rugers, KP95 and KP944. I contacted Ruger. The service person did not seem surprised- common issue. Ruger sent free replacement guide rods w/ captured springs. The collars came off again- mine only lasted 500 or 600 rounds. Your pistol will function fine with uncaptured recoil springs, but re-assembly is more difficult.
There is not much new under the sun; usually a new thread at least once a year on this subject.

rooger

Single-Sixer
I thank everyone for answering and blume357, you really went "above and beyond" with your photos! I understand it all very clearly now.

This forum is all about helping fellow Ruger owners, as long as you stay out of the political section... the first year or so I was on this list I got so much help and advise, don't know if I can ever pay it back.

Most guns are a pretty dern complicated mechanical devise that can throw you and frustrate you to a very high degree... but usually the solution to a problem is pretty simple when you figure it out.

rooger

Single-Sixer
blume357, i got a new clip and collar from Ruger and without your pictures, I would have put the collar on backwards. Thanks again.