P95 Purchase

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SmithMan

Bearcat
I have the opportunity to buy a NIB P95 for 280+Tx. Will it be a good home defense/CCW weapon? I am also considering the Taurus Millennium Pro for about 50 more $$$. I know this is a Ruger supporter site, but If you have good info on the Taurus please offer it.
Thanks in advance.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Buy the Ruger and don't look back. That's a great price.

Taurus puts out some serious pieces of junk----plus their CS is poor when your problems crop up------notice I said when, not if.

NC-P95

Bearcat
I posted this in another thread, so I'll just copy/paste it here:

In 1993, at the ripe old age of 21, I wanted to buy myself an automatic pistol. I'd never even shot an auto at this point, only revolvers, that my dad or friends owned. I consulted a local guy, who is a gun dealer and collector who has many years experience and owns several high end pistols... Without me mentioning budget, he immediately opened up his catalog and pointed to a pistol and said, "This IS the one you want. This is the best value, PERIOD" and it was a Ruger P-89DC. I purchased this gun, kept it for about 2 years, putting approximately 2,000 rounds through it WITH NEVER A JAM or ANY ISSUE OF ANY KIND. Absolutely perfect operating pistol, and the accuracy was great.

Mid 1995, the Ruger P-90 caught my eye, and I sold my trusty P-89DC to a friend, and purchased the P-90. I kept the P-90 for about two years, putting approximately 1,000 rounds through it, of all brands, even reloads, and although I didn't find the P-90 to shoot as straight as the P-89DC, it was Ok, and I also NEVER EXPERIENCED A JAM or ANY ISSUE OF ANY KIND with this pistol.

1997/1998 I sold this P-90 to another friend, and anticipated buying another P-89DC, but ended up making a mistake and purchasing a Kel-Tec 9mm, don't remember the exact model... This was the most horrible gun for accuracy I'd ever owned... Honestlly you'd miss 4 of 5 shots at a No. 7 washtub at less than 10 FEET, yes, feet, not yards... Finally, fed up with this piece of crap, I GAVE the gun away....to someone I didn't particularly care for. :twisted:

I didn't own another automatic from that time, several years ago, until this past week. I started researching the web about automatic pistols, and of course I looked at the Ruger P series, and I heard the same ol', same ol' stuff, "They're ugly...", "They're heavy...", "They're chunky"..., but never once, did I hear anything derogatory about the quality of these guns, which was in perfect alignment with my past experience with the P series many years ago... I finally decided to buy the P-95, two toned. Today was the first time that I've fired this gun and I am happy to report that I am very pleased with it! It has much the same feel and accuracy of the P-89DC that I owned years ago... I feel much like I've been reunited with an old friend.

Today, I fired 100 rounds through this pistol. 50 rounds of Indepencence 115 grain, and 50 rounds of Speer Lawman, 115 grain. In the same accord with my P-89DC of old, the gun fired flawlessly, NEVER EXPERIENCED A JAM or ANY ISSUE OF ANY KIND.

I paid $338.00, out the door for this P-95 stainless/two tone, and am very pleased with the value of it... I know there are many other pistols out there, that get compared to the Ruger P series, such as the Glocks and Sigs... I've never owned either of these brands, so I can't comment directly on those, but I can't imagine any 9mm pistol out there actually being $300 or more, a better value than these P series pistols from Ruger...

I love my P95 so far... Value-wise, I don't think you'll be able to beat the Ruger P series.

revhigh

Hawkeye
SmithMan":26wxy0wv said:
I have the opportunity to buy a NIB P95 for 280+Tx. Will it be a good home defense/CCW weapon? I am also considering the Taurus Millennium Pro for about 50 more $$$. I know this is a Ruger supporter site, but If you have good info on the Taurus please offer it.
Thanks in advance.

Get the Ruger ... the Tauruses aren't as bad anymore as some say, but the Ruger, particularly the P95 is the one to buy. It's a reliable gun with no skeletons in it's closet. DO NOT buy a P345 or SR9. Neither of these guns is yet perfected. The P345 is probably on the verge of being dropped from the catalog, and the SR9 has way too many problems, even after two years on the market.

Your choice is the P95 ... buy it and don't look back. If you want a 45, get the P90 ... Ruger's most accurate auto by far, although it's quite large for carry.

The current Tauruses aren't bad, but between the 2 guns you mention, I'd pick the P95. If you want to spend more money, but get a much more accurate gun, look into the CZ75B, but it IS $200 more.

REV

pajuni

Bearcat
bought a p95 at what i thought was a great price(299)and it was a grat purchase! at 285 buy it :!: :!: only problem with mine is that my wife was going to get it for me as a christmas present. oops!

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
revhigh":1yotuwb9 said:
Your choice is the P95 ... buy it and don't look back. If you want a 45, get the P90 ... Ruger's most accurate auto by far, although it's quite large for carry.

The current Tauruses aren't bad, but between the 2 guns you mention, I'd pick the P95. If you want to spend more money, but get a much more accurate gun, look into the CZ75B, but it IS $200 more.

REV

What he said regarding the 9mm's. Get the P95.......or spend the extra coin and get a CZ-75B.

As far as 45's are concerned, I like my P345 better than ANY 45 auto I have ever owned. It does everything the P90 does, only in a much better package.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Get the Ruger, but try hard to buy the DC model and not the safety/decocker combo.

snakespit

Bearcat
I dont know anything about the tauruse. But that is a great price for a great gun. HD yes. CCW a bit big but many here do it.

I have one and it eats anything. Is very easy to take down and clean. And will do what ever you need it to do. Except competition. REVHIGH will tell you other wise :) . He can group 15 rounds in one inch at 50 yards.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Get the P95. I had a Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm which is a lot like the Taurus your interested in. It was an OK gun, never had a malfunction. But the P95 is so much more robust in construction. The internals of the 24/7 looked real flimsy in comparison to the Ruger. I'm a guy who initially had problems with my P95 and I still highly recommend them. Plus, you don't want to have deal with Taurus customer service. If you have problems with your Ruger you can call Prescott, AZ and they will fix your problem, send you a part, etc. I'd get the stainless P95 too.

P.S. Don't let anyone tell you that the polymer frame rails are a bad thing. They don't wear out real fast or anything. Talk to the guys with thousands of rounds through their P95s. It's just not an issue.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Of the 2 choices you've listed .... the P95 is the clear winner IMHO.

revhigh":3di9yphh said:
The P345 is probably on the verge of being dropped from the catalog ... REV
Rev ... I'm curious if you have legit info on this or if it's just wishful thinking on your part. I'm having a hard time believing that Ruger is on the verge of dropping what is arguably their best .45 (no offense intended to the many P90 owners who would disagree).

tkarter

Single-Sixer
The P95 and a Crossbreed Super Tuck holster for it you are all set up with a non expensive carry piece that will function for life.

imho

tk

jlmorasco

Bearcat
Not to sound stupid, but what does the "DC" mean. And can you buy them new? Within 2 months I will have a 95 can't wait. From what I have been reading, they sound awesome!!!!

tightgrouper

Bearcat
just to add a bit more redundancy to the question.
You will be more than satisfied with the P95.

I have had a good experience with Taurus in a 24/7 OSS, but I've heard allot more mixed reviews with the Taurus brand. They seem to be 50/50. love/hate.
Compare Ruger's P series to anything out there, and nothing has a better reputation. That goes all the way to $1000+ Kimber etc...

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Sweet, a thread where I actually own one of each!

I own the KP95PR15 and I love it :) (my recommendation, but if you have time & are curious about Taurus CS, see below):

I own a Taurus M92 (snubnosed 22 revolver) so I don't have any experience with their semi autos. what I can tell you about Taurus is my M92 had issues right out of the box; I sent it away to Taurus and got it back about 2 months later. It was fixed and works perfectly now, but that 8 weeks without it sure sucked. I am very impatient, so that didnt help.
I did call them every day once the deadline they gave me came & passed, I was promised a call back from a supervisor every day & never ONCE was I called. NOT ONCE. One of my biggest pet peeves..... I was told my gun wasn't there at one point, it was lost, they never got, etc. That was maddening.

Once I got it back I wanted to sell it to be done with it, but dang it, the little thing is too fun! I paid way too much for it anyway, so what the hey. I'll keep it to train my daughter how to shoot when she is old enough.

PS, get the Ruger :)

revhigh

Hawkeye
BuckJM53":10ezykce said:
Rev ... I'm curious if you have legit info on this or if it's just wishful thinking on your part.

Just a feeling ... it's a stand alone model, and they don't usually last more than a few years with Ruger ... it was never very popular, especially with the click-no-bang syndrome that so many experienced, they never built off that design, it was never accepted by LEO's, it was never known for being very accurate, and it was really too bulky for concealed carry. Wishful thinking .... not likely ... I have no interest in whether it stays or goes. As I said ... just a feeling ... I get the exact same feeling about the SR9 ...

Stick with the older metal P's and the P-95 if you want a good reliable combat gun that won't let you down. Preferably in 9MM, unless you go P-90.

REV

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Since you guys are talking about the all metal frame P series I have to say they are some beautiful guns. My Girlfriends Dad has a P 90 DC in mint condition that was promised to me upon his passing. Hate to see the old guy go, but that gun sure would be nice. :D A couple of times I've almost bought a p89, but being as Ruger discontinued them I'm a little leary.

Latest posts