P95 purchase from family member.(New holster photos added)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Several days ago I posted a thread about my anticipated purchase of a 2013(?) stainless P95 from my future son-in-law. There were many thoughtful responses that I appreciated very very much, as I was unfamiliar with this gun except for the reading I had done prior to posting. I had been on the hunt for an everyday carry personal protective device that met my needs for a gun with an external hammer, eternal safety, corrosion resistance and affordability when I learned this one was available. Yes I paid too much for it but I had reasons for doing so.
Three or so days ago my future SIL and I made the sale (legal here in KY---both of us involved are good to go from the legal standpoint). I must say I'm impressed. First, he had kept the gun in great condition. There were a few powder flecks and inside the ejection port and a small powder smudge at the chamber face, but it was obvious he had done the best he could do with what he had to maintain his gun. I'll get together a proper cleaning kit for him from my multiples accumulated over my decades of shooting.
Fit and finish on this gun are wonderful. It's the first polymer framed gun I myself have ever owned, and it appears that Ruger had their tools adjusted right when this specimen was made. No machining marks of significance inside the slide, moving parts snick into place positively and briskly. No burrs seen on sharp corners, and although I've not yet had an opportunity to shoot it (proof will be in the pudding) I have no reason to expect anything but the best from it. A thought reinforced by my future SIL's statement that the only negative thing he ever had occur with the gun was two stovepipes or failures to chamber when it was brand new, 500 or so rounds ago.
I won't post a photo yet because it's bone stock. I'm crafting a steel clip-on AIWB holster to fit, which I plan to sew today, then wet form and bone. A day of dry time under the fan, Lexol conditioner followed by three thinned coats of Resolene acrylic and I should be good to go. Then I'll share a photo.
Anyway, thank you again to all for the responses to my "questions" post earlier. Folks here have offered me good insight, food for thought on alternatives, and just enjoyable reading.
Don

welder

Buckeye
Don, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the P95. I've had probably a dozen over the years, gave a few away to family members and sold several. Still have three, two new in the box. I have yet to find the first bad example of one or had one fail in anyway. I bought some used and they were as good as the new ones. I'm sure somewhere, someone could relate a failure but in my experience they are bulletproof. I don't know of a better value in 9mm and still believe Ruger made a mistake discontinuing it. It could have been further refined and slicked up some here and there and still had a good following as many people prefer the hammer fired Ruger's, myself included.

I think you got a fair deal price wise as I haven't sold any for less than 300 and that included a blue one with honest wear. They were all complete and every sale was initiated by the buyer usually co-workers or range buddies, so there remains a good fan base for the gun. I have watched the prices go up a little on some of the sites and expect them to stay good in spite of Ruger's discontinuance. I have found them to soak up recoil and the hotter the ammo, the better. Good luck with yours and how about a range report when you do get it out?

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks again Welder. Yes I think Ruger could have filled a niche with a "compact" version of the P95, similar to the CZ75B Compact features. I doubt I'm alone in my wish for an external hammer fired, external safety double stack handgun for everyday carry. I'm eager to finish my AIWB holster this evening and try my P95 in the next day or so. Unfortunately the range I attend is down in a hollow via a gravel road that my truck has issues traversing during wet weather. I should select some defensive ammunition I can afford to try several magazines full of, as well as the standard ball I have on hand. And I'll be tickled to post a range report when I have one. All my best to everyone. Don.

welder

Buckeye
I'm awfully partial to the Hornady Critical Defense stuff but have used a ton of white box and American Eagle in mine with good results. I also down loaded some reloads and they ran the big Ruger well. The white box/ Eagle stuff is known to be on the lighter side and will stumble in some high sprung compacts or heavy slide full sized guns, but the P95, no problem. That makes the gun a bit more versatile in my book too. I've also used Cor-Bon and Hydroshocks with good results but got a deal on the Hornady stuff and managed to lay in a fairly good supply. It works with every gun I own from the Shield to the P95/89 to the G29/17/19. We have many good choices in ammo now and it'd be tough to make a bad choice as long as you stay with the main players. Hope that road dries up for you soon.

demented

Single-Sixer
Paid too much? Subjective that, when compared to what it will cost for something made now that will equal its reliability and toughness. There are not many pistols in the $400 range that I'd trust near as much as a Ruger P, most in the $500 range aren't any better. While I only recently got back into the P series Rugers, I've owned over 1/2 dozen way back when they were still considered a new design and have not had any that had to be sent back for repair, not something I can say about new plastic frame Rugers or Smith and Wessons for that matter. I'm willing to pay prices now for the P's equal to more than what they cost when they were new. They're worth it

Tallbald

Buckeye
Demented and Welder great thoughts all. I will surely test any carry defensive ammunition as advised before relying on it to function in my P95 in, heaven please forbid, a bad situation. It should though give me good opportunity not just to function fire but to the check point of impact. I will sadly have to leave behind my "revolver confidence" in firing function. I'll have to re-learn firm gripping at all times to prevent limp wristing issues... It's a trade off I know. 15+ years with my wonderful 3 inch SP101 has spoiled me in some ways. Thanks again. Don

Tallbald

Buckeye
Demented and Welder great thoughts all. I will surely test any carry defensive ammunition as advised before relying on it to function in my P95 in, heaven please forbid, a bad situation. It should though give me good opportunity not just to function fire but to the check point of impact. I will sadly have to leave behind my "revolver confidence" in firing function. I'll have to re-learn firm gripping at all times to prevent limp wristing issues... It's a trade off I know. 15+ years with my wonderful 3 inch SP101 has spoiled me in some ways. Thanks again. Don

Tallbald

Buckeye
Yes my new-to-me P95 is concealable. This is a new holster I crafted for myself. I offer full flap holsters to others. I prefer this method of CCW because I can reach the weapon from a seated position in a vehicle. I anticipate no trouble with everyday carry of this P95, and appreciate everyone's input into my purchase decision. Thanks. Don.
P2012565.jpg

P2012566.jpg

P2012569.jpg

P2012568.jpg

Tallbald

Buckeye
Welder thank you and yes it has an appreciative new, permanent home. Now to work on my muscle memory training. My beautiful 3 inch SP101 will not be retired, but rather serve a second line purpose. I foresee its use during some warmer weather you and I both are familiar with here in our great state, and as an introduction handgun with my light hand cast and light loaded Trail Boss rounds for new shooters. It's just an enjoyable revolver to use at the range with spinner targets, coke cans and the like.
The P95 I expect will be a "go- to package as I exit the door" gun I feel good about with a round in the chamber and a dozen rounds in the magazine. I'm so pleased to have an old school DA/SA stainless normal capacity personal protection device of my own now.
Thanks to you and others here for the thoughts offered about my selection. They have helped me tremendously.
Don.

HEADKNOCKER

Bearcat
Nice looking holster Tallbald, If you hadn't told us that you'd made it I'd swear it was made by Don Hume..
Looks just like one of their clip style holsters..
Congrats on the P-95 Too!!

Tallbald

Buckeye
Headknocker it's very nice of you to complement my work. I love crafting leather, "my favorite meat by-product. Don.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Roylt thank you for the kind words. There are so so many wonderful designs for CCW holsters, I don't offer them myself. Plus there are so many brand and style needs. I do though love designing and crafting my full flap field holsters . Those are not as widely offered and give me more design opportunities I enjoy.
Thank you so much once more. Don Sterchi