P95 Problem Feeding and Ejecting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
This is kind of weird. I bought my wife a P95 and we had some problems. When she fired the gun it would barely shoot the brass out and the next live round would get stuck halway in the barrel. Ok, I'm thinking she's limp wristing. I go over some techniques and it still happened. Everytime I shot it, it worked fine...for a while. Then it started doing it to me. Hmmm. I've never limp wristed a gun before and I have strong hands and wrists. Then something else started to happen. It would fire a round and the empty casing would be stuck halfway in the barrel. It looked like another jam but this time the empty shell never ejected and a new round wasn't getting stuck. The empty shell was stuck 1/2 way in the barrel. It's like the slide wasn't going far back enough. Also, sometimes the slide would not stay back on the last round. I was shooting Federal FMJs. The gun was clean because I took it apart and cleaned it well before we went to the range. Everything looked fine, even the ejector. Since I bought it used at a pawn shop I figured it could be anything. Magazine, weak ejector, weak recoil spring, reversed recoil spring? Any suggestions? I don't know what the recoil spring would look like reversed.

- failure to feed
- failure of slide to lock back
- failure to eject empty case or slide wasn't going back far enough

The recoil springs are captured on the rod, so they should not be backwards... I don't even think they can be put on backwards. What about different ammo and trying the gun locked in position?

If simple tweaking doesn't fix the problem then I'd send it to Ruger to make right.

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
If I can find a way to lock it I'll try that. The first fifty rounds I fired through it had no problem, though. I'm going to look at the extractor some more when I get home and use different ammo next time. I was reading another forum and it was mentioned that the magazine can cause this. When I googled this problem it seems I'm not the only one.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Texas Rifleman, It's always a "good" idea to get yourself a "new" quality made magazine when you buy a "used" semi-auto pistol. If nothing else, it makes a good troubleshooting "tool"! Since you say you gave it a good cleaning, the suggestion to try other ammo is a very good one! A lot of times, people get rid of semi-auto's when they start to develope "quirks" when all they need is a good cleaning and a little "tweeking".......................Dick :wink:

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
Don't worry. I plan on doing some tweeking. I'm going to examine the extractor and maybe give it a bend. I'll invest in a new magazine as well. I'm going to try a few things before I send it in to Ruger and miss it for so long :(

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
UPDATE:

Extractor: Not broken or chipped. A little dirty inside where it rests. I cleaned it out. I'm amazed that gun scrubber didn't get all the crud out without disassembly. I gave it a little bend and assembled. It's now even cleaner and looks good.

Ejector: Doesn't look broken or worn. It wobbles a little in the upright position but my P345 and old P89 ejector does this as well.

Safeties and Firing Pin: Since I took out the extractor I also removed the safeties and firing pin. I gave everything a good cleaning and reassembled. I noticed the safety wasn't working as smoothly as it was before and even catching at times. I realized that I gave these parts no oil when I reassembled. I put a drop of oil where each safety meets the frame and worked them back and forth. They now work perfectly. The firing pin and spring were in excellent condition.

All this being said, I'm going to the range again on Saturday to see if any of this helped. I feel that it will.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
I had a very similar problem with my wife and our p95. she would fire a few rounds fine, then one would stovepipe or just fail to eject...

tried everything... no matter what she did or how tight she held the gun, same problem...

long story short, we found the problem... It turned out that she was holding the gun with about 1/8 inch of space between the web of her hand and the upper part of the grip where it turns outward... once she moved her hand up as high as possible on the grip, the problem went away, never to return....

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
I'm thinking that's all it is. I have another problem now that I've posted for help. The ejector keeps popping up on its own when assembling or removing the slide from the frame.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I had the EXACT same thing happen to my brand new P95, only it happened when my dad was shooting it. Me, I got one of those empty shells stuck in the chamber with a live round trying to feed behind it. Hopfully its just the grip but I'm kind of concerned that you have to have a perfect grip for the gun to function properly. I think I could take any of my other handguns out and fire them upside down,sideways and a low grip hold and they would never malfunction because of it.

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
blume357":1n4fkd6u said:
When you push the ejector down does it lock? and is this popping up on it's own just when you pull the slide off?

If so this is not a problem and is 'normal' for a newer p95.

It locks down. It just pops up when pulling the slide off. It's pops up when sliding it back on, too, but after a certain point so it goes back together without a problem.

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
I cleaned the pistol really well. I took most of the slide apart...extractor, safeties and firing pin. Brushed out all the crud that gun srcubber couldn't get and sprayed again. I took it to the range yesterday and fired 300 flawless rounds through it. I bought it used and it was really dirty internally when I got it. Looks like all it needed was a really thorough cleaning

...oh, and it fired great with both the old and new magazine I bought for it.

Rugerowner

Bearcat
I'm a big fan of taking apart my magazines from time to time, rinsing them off in kerosene or such, and wiping them with oil.

Otherwise, they can tend to "catch" on the sides of the magazine and not lift the next round all the way up.

Latest posts