p95 prices in FL vs gunbroker.com

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chris1

Bearcat
I have noticed that prices for p95's on gunbroker seem to be at an all time low on gunbroker. The blued were always around 300 and stainless 20 more, but lately they have been more like 280 blued and 299 stainless with some even advertising the blued at 289 shipped! These prices are phenominal, but I don't want to pay shipping and FFL fee. I live in Palm Harbor FL which is Clearwater area FL and I am looking for a dealer locally that will honor prices close to these for a p95. If anyone knows of where I can get one new or used for cheap, please let me know. I can wait until the next gunshow on dec 4th and 5th and get one for gunbroker like prices, but im not that patient. If anyone has a good lead for me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I'd suggest you pay just a 'little' more to a local dealer if they have what you want. It's worth it to me to pay 50 dollars or more to a local business and be a 'good' customer of theirs and keep them going.

With that said, I know a guy in your town you might want to meet who can probably help you out.... he's actually signed up on this list, but I doubt he reads or comes here often. If you are a shooter it would behoove you to know him. I'm going to private email him a link to this thread.

His list name here is: Sweep and you can private post him via this site.

But I've noticed he only posted one thing here and that was in regards to a full auto 10/22 he let me shoot... so you might need to contact me and with his permission I'll pass on his email to you.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Chris1":nmwre5oh said:
with some even advertising the blued at 289 shipped! These prices are phenominal, but I don't want to pay shipping and FFL fee.

If they are advertising a "shipped" price, then you don't have to pay extra for shipping.

You would have to pay the FFL transfer fee, but you can shop around a bit to see what local gun shops/pawn shops/etc are charging. I'm guessing you can find one in the $25-50 range.

I like supporting my lgs, but if they can't match this deal.......I'm buying online. :wink:

Mike J

Hunter
Unless I'm mistaken Gunbroker has a link to a list of FFL's on it. You can use it to shop the FFL's in your area to see who is most reasonable.

meanc

Single-Sixer
Have you in any way considered the sales tax???

All of these people on the net selling for $289 shipped... pay maybe $10 for shipping.

So, $279 is their price without shipping.

Now factor in 8% or more sales tax that you'd have to pay if you bought the $279 gun in the state where they're located.

Now factor in the "call"

That's another $5.

So, you're looking at a minimum of $306 already from a huge store.

Most local shops just don't buy in bulk and their cost per gun is more.

So local prices are going to be higher regardless.

But just so you don't think you're getting ripped off at the dealers, every P95 I've sold (about 5) I've gotten more than $325 each. These were all used guns, not new. I'm also not a dealer.

revhigh

Hawkeye
meanc":4xqyfaev said:
Now factor in 8% or more sales tax that you'd have to pay if you bought the $279 gun in the state where they're located.

Not sure what you're saying here meanc, if you buy from an online dealer and he ships it to you in another state, you DO NOT PAY sales tax, since you purchased the item OUT OF YOUR OWN STATE.

So ... if you buy a P95 shipped for $289, all you pay at your FFL when you pick up the gun is the transfer fee, which usually includes 'the call'. In my area you can get a transfer done virtually anywhere for $15-30. For a total of about $309. Not bad for a brand new P95.

Regarding your 'used' prices, you were either very lucky, or sold to buyers who didn't know the used gun market. In my area, you'd be lucky to get $150-175 from a dealer on a trade or sale, and dealers typically get $225-250 retail for any used P-series gun, except for the P90's, which typically go for about $325.

REV

meanc

Single-Sixer
Not sure what you're saying here meanc, if you buy from an online dealer and he ships it to you in another state, you DO NOT PAY sales tax, since you purchased the item OUT OF YOUR OWN STATE.

Reread my post there Rev ol' boy.

My post explains why those deals from out of state retailers seem like such a good deal. They don't include the sales tax you'd pay if you bought it local.

In other words, even if a local store here in Florida matched the internet price, (doubtful it'll ever happen) he'd still have to pay the call in and sales tax.

As a side note, there are NO SHOPS here in his area selling "New" P-series for less than $325.

Regarding your 'used' prices, you were either very lucky, or sold to buyers who didn't know the used gun market. In my area, you'd be lucky to get $150-175 from a dealer on a trade or sale, and dealers typically get $225-250 retail for any used P-series gun

Like I said in a previous post Rev, you're in you own little world up there.

There's a HUGE reason why I can easily sell mine for $325-$350...

All the dealers here in Florida have their "excellent used Rugers" priced between $300 and $350 and charge 8% tax, plus all the paperwork.

Yes, in our part of Florida it's a whole different world than yours up in rural PA. Luck and uninformed buyers had nothing to do with it.

rds801

Bearcat
Saw a guy online selling a P95 with a couple 10 rd mags for $350. He had the gun for 5 years. I wanted to buy it and tried to work out a lower price but someone was willing to buy it for the full price. I ended up getting one ordered on galleryofguns.com for $284(blued model with two 15 rd mags)...$320 with fees added. Had it the next afternoon.

Chris1

Bearcat
When I was at the gun show last time around all the shops with booths there were selling for similar prices as gunbroker. From the looks of things and what people are saying here about FL, I will just wait until 3 weeks from now when the tampa fairgrounds hosts the gun show again. The other option is to tell my local shop what I am willing to pay and see if they want to sell it to me at that price. i don't want to try and price bully my local shop, but it's better to give them the shot at it than not even offer.

FYI sales tax in FL is 7% not 8%. only a $3 difference at a $300 purchase price but thought I would mention it.

meanc

Single-Sixer
I was at both the Tampa and Lakeland shows this past month. There were none that were even close to the gunbroker price (ie. $289)

The cheapest "new" P95 was at the Shoot Straight tables for $319 for the blued ones plus tax and call in.

And, unless you have a CWP then you'll have to wait the additional 3-day period to pick up.

Then, at the show, you also have to factor in the $13 for parking and entrance fee.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you find one at your price, but buying from a dealer or having one shipped in will easily cost you $325-$350.

I suggest going on Floridaguntrader or Floridashootersnetwork, and looking for a deal from an individual local.

Chris1

Bearcat
That's funny because I was at the exact same gun show and saw multiple p95's for under 300 new at multiple tables and I do have a cwp. The entrance fee doesn't factor in because I would be there regardless of whether I buy a gun or not. Floridaguntrader.com is a site that I frequent and haven't found anything descent on that site lately. I will check out floridashootersnetwork as i have never heard of that site.

meanc":21zt7lgk said:
I was at both the Tampa and Lakeland shows this past month. There were none that were even close to the gunbroker price (ie. $289)

The cheapest "new" P95 was at the Shoot Straight tables for $319 for the blued ones plus tax and call in.

And, unless you have a CWP then you'll have to wait the additional 3-day period to pick up.

Then, at the show, you also have to factor in the $13 for parking and entrance fee.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you find one at your price, but buying from a dealer or having one shipped in will easily cost you $325-$350.

I suggest going on Floridaguntrader or Floridashootersnetwork, and looking for a deal from an individual local.

Chris1

Bearcat
Ok lets review the math. My original question was whether or not there are local dealers that sell for gunbroker prices. that would be 280 + tax + $5 call price = $304.60. The advertised price locally is 350 + tax +$5 call price = 379.50. Even if I can't find gunbroker prices locally i don't have to pay tax anymore so the price including shipping is $290 + $30 FFL transfer fee and call = $320. I see this as shopping smart. For me money doesn't grow on trees, so the more i save on the purchase leaves room for ammo or holsters etc.

I would think twice before I make a slanderous statement along the lines of, "There's lots of consumers who aren't very sharp.....financially." I think my financial intelligence is spot on thank you very much. This is despite the fact that the purpose of my post was to find someone local that had the most competetive prices. Some of these places that sell on gunbroker.com allow local pickup so somebody can get these guns for these prices. It is quite noble that some people want to support their local gun shops, but I have spent a fair share of money at my local shop. When do they start to reward me with good prices?

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Ca gunshops charge about $70-$75 for their fee and the government fee on out of state transfers. It's hard to make it worth it on a sub $300 gun coming from out of state. Private party transfers are only $35 total by state law so those are worth it. I just won a Gunbroker auction on a stainless P95DC for $233. It's used, but in great shape. The place with the gun happens to be a pawn shop an hour from me, so no FFL charge, just state fees ($25) and tax (8.75%). There has been new P95s at Turners (Ca gun store) but I wanted a DC model.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Agreed, Steve, K-alifornia is just a miserable state to do firearms business in. Also, as I said above, the typical P series Rugers go for about $225-250 unless the buyer doesn't know the gun market.

REV

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Yep, Ca sucks all around for the gun buyer/owner. I have many Ruger semi autos but wanted another 9MM, but only the DC model. Looking online and at stores it seems that most states it was easy to find them at really good prices, but not in Ca. I had to search and search, but it paid off. I don't think it would be hard to find a Ruger for a good price in most states by buying new or used from a local gun stores with decent prices, private party transfer, or an out of state purchase through your local FFL. You just have to search. I had done several out of state buys maybe 7 years ago and Ca FFLs charged a very reasonable fee back then.