P95 or SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Haven't shot the SR9 but have owned a P95DC stainless slide since 1999. Have had no issues what so ever with it. Reliable and easy to maintain. Great underated (by many) 9mm. I have two of the Stainless slide P95DC models and just purchased a P95PR blued model on 5/15/09. Carry a P95 daily and my Ruger LCP as a bug.

My first P95DC purchased in 1999. Zero issues in 10 yrs.
d19b2397.jpg

My newest P95PR
924d2261.jpg

With their stash
6be97513.jpg

HIVO

Single-Sixer
Haven't shot the sr9 either. I do however carry a P95DC and have never had an issue with it. Hope this helps.... HIVO

RUGERFAN357

Bearcat
I have had 2 P95s and I currently own a SR9. I for one would go with the SR9. Narrower, more comfortable grip. Nicer trigger. My opinion of course. Same trigger pull every time. Mine is more accurate then the P95s where. I think it is a little lighter. Might not be but it feels that way. I really like the SR9. Of course I like the P95. And if someone would walk up and give me one, I would not turn it down. And I would use it. But my got to is the SR9.

Just my $.02.

Bill

alienbogey

Bearcat
I have a P85 Mk II (similar) and an SR9.

Although I still like my P85 and will never sell it (carried it over Iraq), in comparison the SR9 is lighter, slimmer, more ergonomic (to my hands, anyway), has an adjustable backstrap, sights are adjustable in windage AND elevation, magazine disconnect if you want it and easily removable if you don't, carries two additional rounds with the original magazines, and has a lighter, shorter trigger stroke that is the same for every shot. Also, it's the latest full size pistol from Ruger and is at the beginning of its product life cycle which means parts and aftermarket product support for a longer time.

JMHO, but for my money I'd go SR-9.

alienbogey":3dwpm9te said:
I have a P85 Mk II (similar) and an SR9.

Although I still like my P85 and will never sell it (carried it over Iraq), in comparison the SR9 is lighter, slimmer, more ergonomic (to my hands, anyway), has an adjustable backstrap, sights are adjustable in windage AND elevation, magazine disconnect if you want it and easily removable if you don't, carries two additional rounds with the original magazines, and has a lighter, shorter trigger stroke that is the same for every shot. Also, it's the latest full size pistol from Ruger and is at the beginning of its product life cycle which means parts and aftermarket product support for a longer time.

JMHO, but for my money I'd go SR-9.

I have had my eye on the SR9 and after reading your post think I might just get one. May I ask you hows the recoil and the field strip?

Jay1958

Bearcat
I have two P95DCs and an SR9 - I should say I used to have an SR9 - my wife "confiscated" it for use as her home defense firearm. She made a fine choice.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either one. Here are the main differences that I can think of, off the top of my head:

SR9: Striker-fired, DAO. Every trigger pull is the same, first shot to the last.
P95: DA/SA. First round is fired double-action, remaining rounds are fired single-action. There is a good bit of 'take up' or 'creep' in the P95s single-action mode, but this never really bothered me. I've heard some people complain about it, though.

SR9: 17+1
P95: 15+1

Weight is about the same. SR9 has a very visible 'loaded chamber' indicator, P95 you can tell but you have to look closely at the extractor. Both the SR9 and the P95 have been rock solid dependable for me, no jams or other failures of any kind. Of course you can find the P95 at a lower price than the SR9.

Unless you are a big DA/SA fan (like me) you will probably be happier with the SR9.

pbarker

Bearcat
I dry fired two SR9's Friday at the local gun shop. Mag was in. I had to manually push the trigger foward after each shot. Is that normal?

RUGERFAN357

Bearcat
What resets the trigger is the slide moving. If you did not rack the slide, even just a little bit, yes, that is normall. And I will add, when I dry fire my SR9 it feels OK. But for some reason when I live fire it, it feels much better. I can not explain it. Does anyone else notice this? Or am I weird?

Bill

Jay1958

Bearcat
This must be common with striker fired pistols. I notice the same thing with my SR9 - dry firing the trigger is just "ok" - but when live firing the trigger is much better. Same with my Glock 19 which is also striker fired. Don't have the same experience with my SA/DA decocker pistols or my revolvers... the triggers are the same on those, dry fire or live fire.

RUGERFAN357":jfc6eixw said:
... when I dry fire my SR9 it feels OK. But for some reason when I live fire it, it feels much better. I can not explain it. Does anyone else notice this? Or am I weird?

Bill

mekender

Single-Sixer
shot my SR-9 in a match yesterday... worked like it did every other time, perfectly... of course i cant shoot worth a damn, but that isnt the gun's fault...

Afterwords, a USPSA A class shooter asked to try it out... he was really impressed by the trigger for it being a production gun...

jhearne

Buckeye
My father shoots a KP95DC and loves it, he also likes my SR9 but is patiently awaiting the potential arrival of an SR40. I grew up shooting his P95 and in comparison to my SR9, the biggest differences is in their sizes. The SR9 is much slimmer than the P95 or any other P gun with the exception of the P345. They both are 15+ capacity guns, both are well suited for home defense. Many people carry the P95 despite it's larger frame size, that's about the only part I don't like, it doesn't fit me well in the hands and the controls aren't the easiest for me to reach. Both are reliable guns, atleast in my experience, and better than combat accurate if you do your part.

Both are affordable and easy to maintain/operate, the best choice is the one that fits you the best.

As for the take down Rugerman LCPCHEAT, here's the link to my how-to thread on the SR9, it covers the field strip down to a full detail strip. It's a great gun IMO, besides, seems you have a pretty good bit of 9mm stocked up ;).

Josh

Jeep_Dude77

Bearcat
Ruger sr9 all the way.. had mine for a month now and love it. 1000 rounds and counting it even eats my shitty reloads which i have been doing for a month as well. i got the promo that ruger has going with the 1/2 priced laser sight and free holster pretty sweet deal(gets here friday woowoo). i paid 389.00 for the gun on gunboker.com plus 15.00 for shipping and 15.00 for my FFL dealer transfer fee.

P5260038.jpg

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Which ever feels best in your hand will be the one to pick out. IMHO

I love my P95DC.

tk

262runner":1y3ax3u1 said:
Rugerman, where did you get those grips?

They are Pachmyr #3 Slip-on grips. They are really tight fitting and therefore don't slip off the gun. They are hard to get on because they are so tight. Made a great gun even better IMO. I love the feel of it on the gun. I found my first one at a local gun show then located the other on Ebay thru a seller lippman-enterprises and/or ebay store named Lippman Shooting Accessories. They are out of New York and shipped fast after receiving my payment. I have purchased several items from them and feel they are a safe recommendation. The cost was $14.75, $9.25+$5.50 S&H. See the link below for the seller. I am sure you can find them online at other gun accesory suppliers and probably most gun shops etc. and may even get them at a cheaper cost (although I don't think 15 bucks is bad) I am actually going to get one more for my other P95 and find one to fit my P94 as well. Heres the link hope it or the info/type helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pachmayr-3-Slip-On- ... m351.l1262

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I would carry a SR9 if they had a non safety model. That trigger pull is safety enough.

I will stick with my P95 DC.

tk

tkarter

Single-Sixer
It would act the same unless one accidently bumped the safety back on.

Probably best to train with the safety so it is second nature to disengage it.

I prefer the no safety for what I carry.

tk