P95 or P89?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimB120

Bearcat
I've been looking at a used P89 that appears to be in good shape, box two 15 round mags etc. It was the model that had a gray frame with SS slide. I've been offered that for $350.

I can get a new P95 in my hands for around $335. I've looked into the P95 quite a bit, and was ready to get one, but admit I haven't looked into the P89's that much.

Provided the 89 is in good shape, which is the better acquisition?

96/44

Blackhawk
I asked the same question here last year. Everyone told me to buy both, and I will say the same. I bought a P89, and was very happy with it, but I always wondered if I would have liked the P95 better. Well I ended up buying one of those too, I wouldn't say either one is better than the other, get whichever one fits you best. The P89 may be a little overpriced, but you would be hard pressed to find a better pistol in that price range.

hittman

Staff member
Texasgunner":2isybhjn said:
IMO $350 is high for a used P89 -
IF it was me between the two i'd get the P95 without a 2nd thought-

My thoughts exactly.

JimB120

Bearcat
Thanks guys, I was kinda leaning toward buying new over used, just wondered if there was anything inherently superior about the 89.

I like the looks and feel of both guns, and I don't have a problem with polymer frames.

Plus I don't know what I don't know about a used gun, so P95 it is.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
The P89 is grossly overbuilt (and I mean this as a compliment) for the mid-1980s DoD XM10 trials. It is an ideal heavy-use duty pistol (but mine in a Blade-Tech IWB holster does quite well for concealed carry).

The P95 reflects newer Ruger technology, especially concerning the camblock recoil system and the long-strand fiberglass-impregnated polymer frame.

While they're both excellent guns, I prefer the increased durability and ruggedness of the P89-but I'll freely admit that it's a personal preference, and in realistic use probably inconsequential between the two.

I'd go with whichever one you index best to/shoot the best with.

There are no bad choices to be made between the two. If you do choose to go with the pre-owned P89, Ruger has a quiet program where they'll thoroughly go threough the entire gun, and repair/refurbish it, usually at no cost to the owner. That alone would alleviate any concern I had if I was preferentially inclined towards the P89.

Best, Jon

pisgah

Buckeye
I own a P89DC and owned a 95 for several years. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with either. I will say, though, that if your plans include shooting tens of thousands of rounds, go with the P89. I do not believe a stronger 9mm has ever been built.

Al James

Hunter
96/44":16h8c3qd said:
I asked the same question here last year. Everyone told me to buy both, and I will say the same. I bought a P89, and was very happy with it, but I always wondered if I would have liked the P95 better. Well I ended up buying one of those too, I wouldn't say either one is better than the other, get whichever one fits you best. The P89 may be a little overpriced, but you would be hard pressed to find a better pistol in that price range.

Buy both is still the best answer. They each have their attributes. They are both relatively cheap and you can own both for the cost of most quality handguns. If I had to choose one it would be the P89 due to replaceable grips and the alloy frame. I dont see anyone wearing out a P89. Whereas the P95 has the polymer frame which IMO is the first part that will fail in the future. Buy them both! If you can find them buy decock only also!

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Get a 93. Best of both worlds. :)
Seriously, the size of a 95 but with an alloy frame.

If the choice is strictly between a 89 and 95...depends on if I am carrying it all day. If It's not going to be on my hip 8 hours a day I am taking a 89 and I don't care if the price is $500.
I think it's the most reliable pistol ever made.
That is worth whatever you have to pay.

reakin

Single-Sixer
Offer $500 for both and see what happens.

I think the prices offered for each is a little high. Used P89s go for $275 around here. I just got a flyer for a gun shop in the mail last week offering brand new P95s for $259 (blued) and $279 (stainless) (Grice's, Clearfield, PA).

reakin