P95 mag release removal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

railroader

Single-Sixer
I have converted my blue decocker/safety p95 over to a stainless decocker only pistol. I had to change the slide the trigger bar and the ejector by the way. The ejector is different on the 2 models even though the manuals show the same part number. The last thing to change out is the mag release. I can get the right side out but I tried and tried and I can't get the left side out. I stopped before I broke something. It probably is something simple. Help. Mark

aaronrb204

Bearcat
You aren't going to break anything. Trust me. I had to do it to replace the spring. Basically just reach in the right side with a small scredriver or something similar to push the spring forward and use another to pry out the release.

railroader

Single-Sixer
On the p95 I can't reach in from the right side because it has no grips. I have pushed the spring from the magwell but I haven't pried because I didn't want to bugger up the frame. Mark

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Here's what I do; I reach into the mag' well and place a small piece of dowel (or something similar, whatever does the trick) over the part of the spring that needs depressing. I then push it against the spring as hard as I can with my index finger and the release pulls out easily. Good luck!

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
BTW, you don't PRY the spring from the mag' well, you depress it (Push it in, as if trying to push it out into the trigger gaurd).

railroader

Single-Sixer
TruthNotRelative":2s7b698v said:
BTW, you don't PRY the spring from the mag' well, you depress it (Push it in, as if trying to push it out into the trigger gaurd).
I was trying to pry the spring from the right mag release hole with a small screw driver. I was putting the tension on the spring in the right direction but I think the screw driver was getting in the way. I think I see what you mean now. I was going about it wrong. I will keep you posted. Mark

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
"TNR. What grip is that on your P-series and were to get it? I like"

Ummm, that's a bicycle inner-tube grip with a Ruger Logo "Photo-shopped" on. I have to replace that pic, I don't even own that pistol anymore. :lol:

railroader

Single-Sixer
Well I got the left half of the mag release out and installed the new stainless mag releases. I use a Bic pen on the spring I pushed with my finger then I pushed the safety out with a car key. It sure was alot harder taking the parts
out than putting them in. Thanks for help guys. I know it will look any other P95 but I'll post a pic anyway. :) Mark