P95 Decocker Model?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ZMLujan

Bearcat
Okay, I have the chance to pick up a P95 Decocker for $350 with two factory 10's and two 25 round mags. Would this be a good by or should I just go get a different blued P95? I like the idea of the no safety, but I'm unfamiliar with the design and am a little concerned about the availability of parts and such. Is there anything I should look for on the gun before buying or anything that may be a concern? Also, because they are the ten rounders, anyone know of a good place to pick up some extra fifteen round mags for it if go ahead with it?

On a final note, it is between the P95 and a P97 in .45ACP with 150 rounds of ammo so far. Neither have an accurate round count because they aren't the original owners. Which would be better and what are the differences in the frames?

Thanks in advanced.

A

Anonymous

I have the P-95 DCO and wouldn't have it otherwise. The decocker design was made for police and military quick use. Hence, draw and shoot without fiddling around with a safety button. First shot has a little more trigger pull then remaining. (all the decocking does is to lower the hammer down to a safe position without actually stricking the primer)

If you are at the range you don't have to decock if you plan to fire the gun after racking it. However, if you holster the gun while loaded, decockng it is best as it gives the apperance of a safe weapon. Remember, you can still fire the weapon in this mode!

Your best safety feature on a decocking model is "not to rack" till you are ready to shoot..... no bullet in chaimber...

Police often don't have the lux to pull a weapon and rack it before shooting. Police need a ready now weapon to pull and shoot... no safety to screw around with, weapon is already racked with a bullet in magazine. Just pull and shoot. Remember, after first shot, the hammer will ramain full back and trigger pulls will be lighter... (unless the gun is once again decocked)

Can't help you with finding 15 round mag's but you might try Ruger.com

Your call on whether to go 45 or 9mm. I like the 9mm because it is much easier to practice with. After you start shooting that heavy burning feeling in your wallet pocket doesn't start up quite as soon.

25 round mags? where did those come from?

My opinion... P95 decocks rock!

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
ZMLujan ... In answer to your questions, please note the following:
1. The P95dc is a fine weapon (mine has over 8,000 rounds now without a single malfunction).
2. Parts availability and service will not be a problem through Ruger
3. $350 is a little high for a used P95. Most sell on Gunbroker for between $240 & $300 (the P97 will probably set you back $400+ used as there are far fewer of them out there http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =160397687 )
4. The P97 was made in both the DC (decocker model) and the DAO (double action only model).
5. The grip designs are very similar (The P97 was designed primarily as a .45 version of P95)
6. 15 round magazines are available through Ruger http://shopruger.com/P-Series-9mm-Stain ... nfo/90233/ or Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=187403

Hope it helped ... Good luck with your decision :wink:

ZMLujan

Bearcat
Well the guy with the P95 is immovable on his price so I will probably wait him out for a while to see if it will drop; I can always buy it next week or go with a NIB P95PR15 if he doesn't move on the price. I have decided against the P97 (after a long night of surfing the net) so that I can save a few more pennies for a P345 or a 1911. Thanks for the help guys.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ZMLujan":1kvvnq75 said:
Well the guy with the P95 is immovable on his price

I hope he really likes that gun, because at $350 he's going to own it for a long, long time ... unless he finds somebody who doesn't know the value of guns with some spare cash ... bottom line ... it's a $250 gun tops.

You can buy a new one right here on the forum for about $300 shipped (CDNN was selling brand new blue P95's for $259). If you don't like the safety, DON'T USE IT ... there ... you now have the same gun for carry as a decocker. If someone can't decock a gun safely without a decocking device, they shouldn't be carrying or owning guns in the first place.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I would buy it at 350 they don't make them any more and they are the only P95 to own if you are going to carry it every day.

I have 325 in mine purchased new 2 years ago. Never will sell it so what I would ask for it doesn't matter.

IMHO.

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":18saeikm said:
I would buy it at 350 they don't make them any more

they are the only P95 to own if you are going to carry it every day

Hey tk !!

I have a 1985 Yugo with 5,000 original miles on it ... it's only $50,000 .... they don't make them anymore !!!! Want to buy it ?? :D

Care to explain the second point as well ?? How is a DC model any different than a non-DC model from a carrying point of view ?

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Hey Rev. I am not interested in buying your junk car.

When I carry I expect the gun to go bang with nothing more than a trigger pull if required use of said carried weapon.

Safety gets in the way.

Supply and demand determines fair pricing in my neck of the woods.

We all know you won't demand a P series. Why devalue something of no concern to you?

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":1jqby7wy said:

Why devalue something of no concern to you?

tk

I don't really have a Yugo, tk, I was just giving an example of something not being worth more just because it wasn't made anymore .... and I could say the same ... why OVERVALUE something when an inexperienced person asks just because YOU happen to like it a lot ???

No need to get snippy .... I happen to like the P95's and have recommended them numerous times right here on the forum ... everybody knows that. My point was that a DC 95 is not worth what the OP asked (OP: Okay, I have the chance to pick up a P95 Decocker for $350 with two factory 10's and two 25 round mags. Would this be a good by or should I just go get a different blued P95?). He didn't ask whether a 'big fan' and owner of a P95DC overvalues a certain model because they happen to own one.

I'll ask again ... of what value is a decocker for carry ?? Your statement that a 'safety gets in the way' is a pretty weak argument, don't you think ? Gets in the way of what ? If you don't want to use it .... then don't use it ... they don't go on by themselves ... as a matter of fact ... most are pretty stiff, so it won't go on by accident, either ...

REV

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
revhigh":3s01w2zr said:
tkarter":3s01w2zr said:

Why devalue something of no concern to you?

tk

I don't really have a Yugo, tk, I was just giving an example of something not being worth more just because it wasn't made anymore .... and I could say the same ... why OVERVALUE something just because YOU happen to like it a lot ???

No need to get snippy .... I happen to like the P95's and have recommended them numerous times right here on the forum ... everybody knows that. My point was that a DC 95 is not worth what the OP mentioned ... which was his question. Not whether a 'big fan' and owner of a P95DC overvalues a certain model because they happen to own one.

I'll ask again ... of what value is a decocker for carry ?? Your statement that a 'safety gets in the way' is a pretty weak argument, don't you think ? Gets in the way of what ? If you don't want to use it .... then don't use it.

REV

I think you are missing the point Rev. The poster sounds like HE values a decocker. You cannot tell him his view is not valid!!! He values the feature of a decocker period.
Why OVERVALUE A GUN because he likes it?? That is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard.
Would you overvalue your grandads 1911 and maybe want more if someone made an offer?
Of course.
We each buy things based on the availability and our emotions.
Now if you could show him 5 different ads here where he is overpaying, then you may have a point.
I don't see those ads here. I don't see them anywhere.
Plus he is buying local and avoiding transfer fees and tax.
So can you really point to a Decocker model he can purchase TODAY for $350 total price? A buy it now price for less than $350 including shipping and taxes?

Plus even if he is "overpaying", I have "overpaid" for guns, and not once have I had buyers remorse.
Usually I sold the gun at a profit.
You are actually telling everyone what a gun is "worth"? It's value?
Please.
We each decide a gun's value, if it has any scarcity at all.

revhigh

Hawkeye
gatorhugger":90mpmkeb said:
The poster sounds like HE values a decocker.

On what do you base that assessment, Gator ? .... from what I read he's just listing what the person has for sale .... I doubt that's true anyway, because he, himself was considering just a regular blue 95 as well. Probably because he can get a NEW non-DC for about $75 less than the USED DC.

He makes no mention that the DC is his preference that I saw ...

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
gatorhugger":6nmh9ezh said:
Would you overvalue your grandads 1911 and maybe want more if someone made an offer?

No ... and neither would any buyer ...

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
gatorhugger":21tp7425 said:
So can you really point to a Decocker model he can purchase TODAY for $350 total price?

Gator .... there's no need to get upset over this ... the man asked a question ... I gave him my opinion, which is worth exactly what YOUR opinion is worth. He can take the input he gets from this thread (both sides) and make up his mind, which is why he asked the question. There's no need to get personal over a gun's estimated price. Of course his ultimate valuation of all the aspects we've talked about will play a part in what he's willing to pay. That was the point of him asking, right ? :D

There will still be a transfer fee involved (most likely, at least if the seller is smart), and possibly even tax depending on the state ...

Why don't you post some links where the values 'support' the $350 price ??

Here's a few ...

Not sold at $300 ...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... ight=p95dc

Sold at $300 shipped ... net $250-275

Started at $320 ... reduced to $290 .... not sold ...

Not sold ...

REV

ZMLujan

Bearcat
To put some of this to bed...

I don't prefer DC models, I do like them, but I feel that I can get the same effect out of a standard model.

I thought the price seemed a bit high, hence why I asked here. I figured most of the people on this forum would have a better idea about the actual value of the firearm and not just what it seems most Colorado shops are selling for.

Most people, in my experience, tend to put their own prices on things according to how they feel about them. They may not get what they're asking for them, but it doesn't stop them from listing it for that price. This is why it's not inappropriate to haggle prices with private parties (maybe just my opinion, but that's the way I see it).

As for the total cost; well, $350 would be the final tally on the gun. No transfer through an FFL, just a bill of sale. It's not that I prefer this method of transfer either, simply that it's what's easy and legal for a private transfer here.

Thank you all for the input, it's been fun and the thread hasn't even been up that long... Another question, with the prices of gunbroker taken into account and the fact that there is some collector value with the gun... would $300 be an acceptable price? Or should I stick to my guns (no pun intended) and hold out for $280? The going rate for a standard P95 around here is about $315 after taxes and everything.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
revhigh":69pg2355 said:
gatorhugger":69pg2355 said:

No ... and neither would any buyer ...

REV

yes you would. The buyer would not unless it was a scarce model.
But if it was your Dad's only gun, it would factor in whether you even
sold it.
Emotion plays a part in everthing we buy that is not a necessity.

We are talking about what $100 tops "overbuying"?? Big dang deal.
That is price a trip to a restaurant twice.
If it's a gun he doesn't see much, buy it. They last a lifetime.
I wouldn't let $100 overpriced stop me.
As a matter of fact the guns I regret the most were the ones I was haggling over and got away. Those hurt.
Not overpaying by $50. Those I don't even remember.
If I have been searching for 6 months for a particular gun or feature, I will gladly pay a premium.

revhigh

Hawkeye
gatorhugger":2en139dq said:
yes you would.

LOL ... No gator ... I wouldn't .... if it had sentimental value to me ... it wouldn't be for sale at all ... at ANY price ... let alone a paltry $100 more than market price for a sentimental piece.

The market determines what ANY item sells for ... not the sellers emotions. If a buyer happens to have emotions about a certain gun (like his grand daddy had one and now he wants one) that is his issue.

On a side note ... what ever became of that Python ... did you buy it ?

ZMlugen ... I'd research around a little in your area ... you can probably still find a NIB 95 locally for under $300 OTD (maybe $275) if you don't require the decocker. But in reality you're almost there at $315. I'd most definitely buy a new one .... maybe you can use the new price to show the seller he's too high if you really want a DC. I still say $250 tops for the used one ...

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
ZMLujan":1jgyj8cw said:
As for the total cost; well, $350 would be the final tally on the gun. No transfer through an FFL, just a bill of sale. It's not that I prefer this method of transfer either, simply that it's what's easy and legal for a private transfer here.

That's good for you, but potentially bad for the seller, if anything happens with that gun and he can't produce the documentation 17 years from now when his name shows up as the last owner and the gun was used to kill a cop. No issue to you though.

I won't sell any gun ... even in state .... without an FFL doing a legal transfer .... even if other methods are acceptable.

Good luck in your quest ... let us know what you end up with !

REV

Latest posts