P95 ammo...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hey, i'm new to this site as well as a soon to be first time gun owner. I bought a Ruger P95 two days ago. In anticipation of getting the gun, i bought some Winchester Luger 9mm rounds. I didn't think about it until i got home with them, will the P95 fire these?? Thanks in advance

rich642z

Single-Sixer
Yes winchester 9mm rounds will work in your P95. So will all other 9mm ammo also. Make sure that you clean your P95 good and put a dab of oil along the rails of slide on frame so it will coat the slide when you rack it. rich642z and I am very sorry that you have to live in the commie state of Kommiefornia.

EKI77

Bearcat
9mm Parabellum, 9X19, 9mm Luger and 9mm Nato are all the same. I think there are some 9X19 loads out there that are meant for sub machine guns but am not sure what they are.

Mike J

Hunter
Just make sure it is 9x19. Don't get 9mm makarov (9x18), 9mm winchester(9x23), 9mm largot (9x23), or 9mm kurtz(9x17 aka .380.
When buying 9mm I always make a point to check the box 9x19 is most common but sometimes gunshop employees mess up.
I think I got all that right if I'm wrong about any of the other 9mm calibers someone please correct me.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
EKI77":3su03max said:
9mm Parabellum, 9X19, 9mm Luger and 9mm Nato are all the same. I think there are some 9X19 loads out there that are meant for sub machine guns but am not sure what they are.

A "sub machine gun" is just an automatic carbine made to fire pistol rounds... so there wouldn't be a round made "for" a sub machine gun, otherwise the gun would just be a machine gun, since its firing a round made for it, and not a pistol round. :D

Spikess

Bearcat
dacaur":14rbxyfm said:
A "sub machine gun" is just an automatic carbine made to fire pistol rounds... so there wouldn't be a round made "for" a sub machine gun, otherwise the gun would just be a machine gun, since its firing a round made for it, and not a pistol round. :D

If I'm not mistaken, (and I could be), sub machine gun ammo tends to be loaded a little hotter and requires a slightly harder "thump" on the primer. Otherwise, same thing.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Just took my KP95PR out this weekend & ran some WWB, SX9 and Federal thru it.

I love the SX9... just because it looks cool, but it will eat anything, and throw the shell about 5 feet to the right :)