P944 recomendations?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nathan Frith

Bearcat
Yep, love it. :D

Fairly accurate, very reliable, looks good, and it's a Ruger. You find one you want to buy or are you just weighing your options?

packard66

Bearcat
i've been looking at information on the internet and from what i've found they seem like a really good handgun. i think it's going to be the one i purchase to carry on duty. just my 2cents though lol

Russ7777

Bearcat
I just bought a 9mm, but I would also like to get a .40. I really like my 9mm(P89) so I would like to stay with the Ruger. So right now I am weighting my options with the idea of purchasing soon.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I have a P94 in 40 cal. Through several hundred rounds I have had ZERO malfunctions of any kind.

It does shoot a bit low with the ammo I have tried, so I am thinking of adding aftermarket adjustable sights. I definitely don't want to get rid of the gun, as it's the companion piece to my PC4. 8)

P1010009.jpg

transam396

Bearcat
Bigboreshooter":3jkpyela said:
I have a P94 in 40 cal. Through several hundred rounds I have had ZERO malfunctions of any kind.

It does shoot a bit low with the ammo I have tried, so I am thinking of adding aftermarket adjustable sights. I definitely don't want to get rid of the gun, as it's the companion piece to my PC4. 8)

P1010009.jpg

I had the chance to get a pc4 when they first came out and I kick my self sometimes for not doing it....one day :)

With that out of the way I have a p94 40s&w and i love it! the first thing I did when I got it was change out the factory grips for the Houge molded grips and man what a HUGE difference it feels like my hand just glides into postion.

I use a Bianchi paddle holster for now but I just ordered a holster and belt from FIST for it and I can't wait to try them out. I looked everywhere for a holster and nobody seemed to have anything in stock except for glock stuff...I think u could get a holster for a glock at freakin Cracker Barrel !!:) For 125 shipped for a custom holster and gun belt I don't think its to bad of a price.

ZiggyK

Bearcat
transam396":37fgk5c1 said:
Bigboreshooter":37fgk5c1 said:

P1010009.jpg

I had the chance to get a pc4 when they first came out and I kick my self sometimes for not doing it....one day :)

With that out of the way I have a p94 40s&w and i love it! the first thing I did when I got it was change out the factory grips for the Houge molded grips and man what a HUGE difference it feels like my hand just glides into postion.

I use a Bianchi paddle holster for now but I just ordered a holster and belt from FIST for it and I can't wait to try them out. I looked everywhere for a holster and nobody seemed to have anything in stock except for glock stuff...I think u could get a holster for a glock at freakin Cracker Barrel !!:) For 125 shipped for a custom holster and gun belt I don't think its to bad of a price.

Which model Fist holster did you buy and do you like it? I am trying to find a IWB holster (preferably tuckable) for my P944 but it has been hard to find them. I have a Comptac MTAC holster for my Glock 17 and was hoping to buy a P94 version for it since you can change out the kytek part on the MTAC holster so you can use different guns with it, but they don't make it for P94 yet. Oddly enough they make a P94 version for their CTAC holster but I don't want to pay another $80-90 on another holster when I can pay less than half that to change out the kytek on my MTAC holster which is better. Hopefully they will start making the P94 version for the MTAC soon as I have asked them. Doesn't make sense to me that they made it for the CTAC but not the MTAC holster. If they have the P94 kytek designed for the CTAC holster than it should be pretty easy for them to use the same Kytek and attach it to the MTAC holster. :?

ZiggyK

Bearcat
Well I just got back from the range and was quite impressed with my P944 after putting 300 rds through her. Very accurate especially with the Federal 180 Grain FMJ's. I did have a bunch of stovepipes though which annoyed me but I guess I just need to break the gun in better or get used to it better. I first stovepiped with the real good ammo which was the Winchester Ranger Talon 165 gr which I was surprised about since my Glock never stovepiped ever even with cheap ammo. Then the WWB 165 gr FMJ stovepiped on me so I started thinking maybe the gun didn't like 165 gr since the Federal 180 FMJ didn't stovepipe on me yet, but then eventually I got a few stovepipes shooting the 180 gr.
Don't know if I may be limpwristing since the FTE's happened mainly when I was double tapping although I think at least one may have occurred when I wasn't. I had a solid grip on the gun as is normal and my Glock 9mm didn't stovepipe at all when I was rapid firing 3-4 shots at a time so I think I may either need to clean the gun better or just break it in further. My gunsmith who I bought it through cleaned it for me before I picked it up and I put a little Hi Temp grease on the rails before I shot so I doubt if it is a cleaning issue, although I was getting a little greasy from the rails today so maybe I put on a little too much.
Either way it was a good day of shooting and I hit very accurately with it despite the FTE issue. Just got to get it broke in I guess and then I'll be further in love with it since I do like it alot. 8)

ZiggyK

Bearcat
captainamerica":2pw8e5h5 said:
I love our P944 and would like to find a tuckable IWB holster for appendix or 4:00 carry. Any ideas?

Right now I'd say the Comptac CTAC holster if you don't mind a Kytek holster rather than a leather. Otherwise you could always wait until Comptac makes their MTAC holster for the P944 which I have requested. Probably shouldn't be that long since they already have the kytek part designed for the P944. I was kind of confused why they didn't already have the MTAC version made since all they have to do is screw the kytek part onto the leather backing. I love my MTAC holster that I got for my Glock 17 and can't wait until I can use it for the P944. I bought the MTAC since you can change out the Kytek part so that you can use different guns with it, knowing full well that I'd be buying a 40 cal of some sort eventually. That day was Thursday. :D

Charon

Single-Sixer
I bought a P944 some years ago for bowling pin shooting, and it works just fine. I cannot remember any malfunctions with it, whether I use reloads or factory Blazers (I used the Blazers for bowling pins, because I didn't have to chase down the empties). For some reason I tend to shoot low with it in rapid fire, though it seems OK off the bench. I have shot nothing but 180 grain bullets in it. The bowling pin shooting around here sort of fell apart, so I really no longer have a use for the pistol. For shooting, I prefer revolvers.

ZiggyK

Bearcat
Quick note on my stovepiping. After going to my gunsmith he was able to fix the problem which turned out to be that the extractor was a hair too tight. He adjusted the extractor and it now feeds everything flawlessly and I am now a very happy camper with my Ruger P944 since it is also very accurate when using high quality ammo like the Winchester Ranger 164Gr and Speer Gold Dot 180Gr which I found a cheap source for. :mrgreen:

Mike J

Hunter
I'm glad to hear he got it running good for you Ziggy. I kinda wondered if that might be the issue just from posts I've read on here but I have never had any issues with my P-944. I am relunctant to post things I haven't experienced. One of these days I'm gonna get around to picking up the hogue grips for mine. I want to check them out for myself. Everyone says they make it feel like a different gun I just keep getting sidetracked by other stuff.

ZiggyK

Bearcat
The hogue grips are the shizzat! 8) Definitely feel better than normal grips and make it like a glove for your hand. They're cheap too so you should pick up a pair.