P944 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Paine

Bearcat
Ok this is really bothering me. I recently picked up a new magazine for my P944. I've had this pistol for about 6 years and the factory mags hold 10 rounds. I checked the website and yes it's still listed as 10+1. My problem? The new factory mag holds 11. It's a ruger mag, not a knock off. It's not any longer or fatter than the ones that came with the pistol. It really caught me off guard when I loaded it before work today. I had the tv on while I was loading it so I wasn't paying attention to how many were in until it stopped, which is when I saw eleven rounds missing from the box. I had to unload and count lol. Has anyone else seen this, or is this a secret conspiracy to keep up all from having that extra round and one mag leaked out. Now I have that mag and soon the Feds will be after me. If this is the last post you see from me take my story to the press. Magazine oppression NO MORE!!!!

All kidding aside, anyone know whats up with this thing or have I lost all ability to count. If no one knows I guess I'll have to pull two of them apart to see the difference.

Mike J

Hunter
There were pre ban 11 round magazines for the .40 caliber P-series pistols. They were made for the P-91. I've got one I got off a guy on a local forum. If you dig around you can find them online. Where did you get the magazine from?

Paine

Bearcat
I picked it up at the gun store/range after my last bit of range time. Come to think of it, the package did look a little old and the sticker on the mag was faded.

Mike J

Hunter
One of these days I need to pick up another one. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Mike J

Hunter
I didn't know that Steve but I bought my P-944 sometime around 2000 so it was after the ban.

Al James

Hunter
The 2 mags can be identified by sight. The 11 round mag has flat sides whereas the 10 rounder has a shallow crimp running from top to bottom on both sides of the mag. Ruger went to the 10 round mag for the ban and never went back. One advantage is that the rounds are tight in the 10 rounder and do not rattle when loaded. The 11's DO rattle IIRC. Yeah you can still count right! That cracked me up :lol:

Paine

Bearcat
Thanks everyone. Good to know I don't need to take the time of taking my shoes off to be sure I'm counting right LOL. It kind of makes me wonder how long the package was on that shelf.