P944 .40, whats it worth?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

truncellitoj

Bearcat
i have been thinking of trading my p944 in on something else, had it a few years and don't shoot it all that much, i have never traded a gun so not sure how to go about it, how much would this be worth nowadays, its in good shape a couple scratches on the butt near the magazine and on the slide where the slide release is. about 1000 rounds through it all together. picture shows the gun as described except now i have the hogue wraparounds on it

any help would be appreciated

DSC00142.jpg

Al James

Buckeye
I Dont know if the moderators care about the live auction or not but here is a gun quite like yours with no reserve. I find no reserve auctions to be a good judge of what a gun is "worth". Dont forget to figure in shipping and transfer fees. Yours being an older swinging link, blued, manual safety makes it a little less desirable but I would imagine its worth 240-275 on Gun Broker or around 350 if it were in a local shop here in the NW. Good luck! BTW what are you interested in for your next gun? Staying with Ruger?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =163089176

truncellitoj

Bearcat
thanks for the link Al, not sure what i want to go with, im waiting on my CCW in the mail, so i figured i might get something a little more concealable, if i had my druthers ill just keep it and buy something else outright, gotta keep an eye on the finances though

Paine

Bearcat
ACK!!!!! my P94 is my first love and I'll never part with it, but that's me. Just a little suggestion though. If you do decide to trade or sell your, pistol clean it first! You WILL get more for it! I can't count how many times I've seen used pistols that people have up for sale like this one, and whoever is selling it doesn't clean it first, like the one in that link. I'm not saying you're one of those people but I personally think it says a lot of how they pistol was cared for depending on how clean it is. I'm not saying you're gonna get a million dollars if it's spotless, but I'd bet you could ask for a bit more if it's clean.

-P

Mike J

Hunter
If you decide to sell you will probably be better off if you can sell it to someone yourself & then take cash to the shop than trading. Gunshops aren't gooing to give you full retail value because they still have to turn a profit. Advertise on a local forum might be one way to go. Good Luck whatever you decide.

Al James

Buckeye
I vote for keeping it. If you were to sell it for 300 you would have a hard time finding a tougher 40 at any price IMO. Anyone ever break one? Big? Yes! Tough as nails as are all P series? Yep.

Al James

Buckeye
truncellitoj":1vs1k48p said:
doesnt really seem like its worth selling it, looks like im keeping it

+1 I think that's a good decision. Use it for the next bunch of years and when you're done I'm sure it will be worth more after you have been trying to wear it out. Sometimes when a gun loses it luster to me I will take it out and shoot it. Usually reminds me of why I was so enamored with it when I bought it way back when. Had to have it usually turns to don't need it.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
truncellitoj":230ebahq said:
doesnt really seem like its worth selling it, looks like im keeping it

This is what a lot of people find with Ruger Semi-Autos. Once you have a Ruger P-series you are pretty much married to it unless you dont mind taking a hit on the trade-in/sale. I got a used P85 for ~250$, if I were to sell it I doubt I could get that much for it. As it is, it performs about as well as 95% of the guns out there. The bluing is worn and it rattles when you shake it and it has trouble holding a four inch (ok maybe 5in) group but it works every time with whatever mis-matched ammo, steel case, bulk ammo, ten-year-old reloads, whatever I put thru it.

My advice echos others here, tuck it away in the gun safe and keep it for a spare...You can always use it for night-stand gun or a boat anchor :D.