P93 out of the gunsafe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Picked this one up from my FFL guy last night. In box with all original material, the original owner claims to have shot it 2 or 3 times and it's been in the safe ever since, serial # makes it a 1995. Clean & lubed, took it to the range today with my SR9. This is a tank of a gun! Fills your hand but not like a Glock, already not a fan of the grip panels, Hogue on order. Of course it's heavier than the SR9 and the trigger is different but what is striking is the difference when you cycle the slide. The P, even in barely used condition, is so smoooth to break out of battery and cycle while the SR9 is notchy and way stiffer. The difference between swing link and cam block operation.

The 10 yard target only proves to me that I can point it OK. Haven't shot in 3 weeks and had a couple of cups of coffee before heading out (not saying my normal groups are any tighter, usually there's a flyer to spoil things). Funny thing, this being my first DC pistol I was worried about that first DA trigger pull. It's way stiff but almost every DA pull to start a new group was closest to center target. Weird.

One other BAD thing, I was sitting at a table filling out the paperwork and turned it over to the dealer, opened the factory box to look it over, pointed it at the floor and cycled the slide back and A LOADED BULLET HIT THE FLOOR. He looked at me as said WAS THAT A BULLET???? Holy ****, this weapon was shipped with a full magazine and one in the barrel!! I locked the slide back, popped the mag out and after positively clearing the weapon set both on the table. He thanked me for first clearing the gun before inspecting it and I apologized for clearing it incorrectly, I should have dropped the mag first. He had opened the box to see that the gun was what I bought but didn't handle it. Has never had this happen before. Cussed a little bit. Brought home the lesson assume every gun is loaded until you know it isn't.

Anyway, this one isn't leaving and it won't be a safe queen. :D

P93Ruger.jpg
[/img]

SR9P93.jpg

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
Another congratulations on a good find. I had given up on finding one and bought a used railed version P95. Found a LNIB KP93 about two weeks after the P95 and bought it too. :D I am out of gun money now (son's college and general economic situation) except for an occasional box of ammo. :(

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Thanks! Even REV, who doesn't like Ruger pistols much. Put 100 rounds through it today and I'm more than happy with how it shoots. Much softer than the SR9, to be expected because of the weight I guess. Have to work with the DA trigger pull, some shots are right there, some decide to poke a hole several inches away from the others. Shot 10, 15, 20 yards with some weak hand shots to see if it would stovepipe. Interestingly I had three 10 yard groups that would have been 1" if they had been only 4 shot groups, and these were pulling DA on the first shot. On 2 of them the 5th shot flew. :oops:

Anyone have experience with Wolff hammer springs?

Any OWB holster recommendations?

Jeff

I'm in trouble, now I really want, no, NEED a P90.

Mike J

Hunter
I put a Wolff 19 pound spring in my P-944 for a while. I really liked it to start with. After a couple thousand rounds I just didn't like the way it felt in S/A anymore so I swapped back to the stock spring. I think all the parts had polished themselves by then. The springs are pretty inexpensive though & easy to change out. If I remember right Wolff's website is www.gunsprings.com

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":zddjfln8 said:
Thanks! Even REV, who doesn't like Ruger pistols much.

LOL AA !!!

Actually the truth isn't that I don't like Ruger pistols much, it's that I don't like the ACCURACY of Ruger pistols much. I think the Ruger P89/90/91's with the Hogue finger groove aftermarket grips are ergonomically excellent. Second only to the CZ75B (with the same grips) for ergonomics, IMO. After I bought the P89, I liked the ergos so much I had plans on buying all three. Unfortunately, I bought that god-forsaken P91. Had I bought the P90 second, I'd probably still have it.

To this day, I'd buy a P90 if I run across one at a good price used. I've always said that the metal Ruger P-series guns were handsome and reliable weapons, which I still proclaim. Along the way, however, I got exposed to OTHER brands of weapons, whose accuracy simply was drastically superior to Ruger's, namely CZ and Sig. If all you want is a weapon for combat/self defense, then any of the older P-series Rugers are perfectly acceptable, albeit a bit large. If you want to compete with your buddies at the range, and hone your accuracy skills, then you need a different brand.

REV

Latest posts