P90 vs P90DC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pisgah

Buckeye
P90 -- the lever both decocks the gun and serves as a manual safety. Push down the lever, the hammer decocks, the lever remains down in the "safe" position. To fire, push up the lever, pull trigger.

P90DC -- the lever functions as a decocker only. Push down, the hammer decocks safely, the lever springs back up to its at-rest position. To fire, pull trigger.

Prospector

Bearcat
Seems to me that the P90 may be a safer firearm to carry with a round in the chamber than the P90DC because the lever stays in the down (Safe) position. Or am I understanding this incorrectly?

glockmutt

Single-Sixer
That's a reasonable idea. Lever down (Safety On) it can't be fired. Ruger once had a fair amount of Decocker models, but not anymore. I had a P-97 DC a few years ago and I didn't feel less safe because of it. It's just another preference.

pisgah

Buckeye
Safer, perhaps, in a gun-grab situation -- if you make a habit of carrying with the safety down, and many do not. It's not needed for safe carry. I think it was Jeff Cooper, regarding DA/SA pistols, who called the lever the "dingus" and said, "Don't let yoour dingus dangle." -- in other words, decock, flip the safety back up, then holster the gun. He didn't care for the "Down=safe, up=fire" mode of operation as he felt it was not as natural as the opposite, 1911-style operation, and he recognized that the gun was still safe from accidental discharge even with the lever up.

railroader

Single-Sixer
I personally like decock only and no safety. The way I figure it revolvers don't need a safety so why would my da/sa pistol need one. I don't want to forget to to take the safety off or for it to get bumped on by mistake Now single action only pistols are different. I like a safety with those because your starting out with a lighter, shorter trigger pull. Mark

GhosT

Blackhawk
Prospector,

My P91 and P95 are DC's,and personally prefer it .

But you like yer P90...with a safety.

"Seems to me that the P90 may be a safer firearm to carry with a round in the chamber than the P90DC because the lever stays in the down (Safe) position."
I, along with all the other DC owners could give you a good argument about that.

But thinking...ya like yer gun, just as good as mine,it comes down to just which style ya prefer.

P90

Single-Sixer
I have and prefer all DC's. If I was afraid to carry a DC I would sure be afraid to carry a Double-action Revolver. They work the same for the first shot. There is no safety on the Revolver.

Orangeusa

Bearcat
Aside - I have a P90, but question is for folks who have a P90DC and want the P90 safety/decocker function.

Question: Can you mod the DC to act like a P90? Berettas have a FS (like the 90), and a G model - like the DC and you can convert from one to the other by swapping out/in a spring... ??? Just curious...

railroader

Single-Sixer
I don't know if it is exactly the same but I converted my decocker/safety p95 to decocker only. I had to change the slide, trigger bar and the hinged ejector. I bought a complete p95 minus the frame on gunbroker for the parts. Mark

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I had a P90 in the past which I sold to my regret which was a decocker model. I liked it and was certain I neither liked nor wanted a safety-decocker. More recently, I wanted to replace my P90 and the only model I could find, new at least, was the safety-decocker, so I bought it. Having used it, my concerns and preferences have vanished. I just don't find it a big deal either way and have grown fond enough of the safety-decocker that the issue is no longer any concern to me. It's easy enough to flip the safety back up after decocking. The weapon can be just as easily carried with the safety off. I used the safety when putting the weapon away in the safe or in a drawer but otherwise it is off. While I suppose I still would prefer the DC model, it is no longer a big deal to me either way.

P90

Single-Sixer
People has preferences for both of them. The one thing I would suggest to anyone. Keep all your CCW's the same. If you get used to one that you can draw and pull the trigger without flipping off the safety, don't carry one with a safety on part of the time. It could get you killed.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Orangeusa":32nnikng said:
Aside - I have a P90, but question is for folks who have a P90DC and want the P90 safety/decocker function.

Question: Can you mod the DC to act like a P90? Berettas have a FS (like the 90), and a G model - like the DC and you can convert from one to the other by swapping out/in a spring... ??? Just curious...
You would need to change out the top end as railroader did with his P95.
The slide on the manual safety version is milled to accommodate a flange on the safety lever that holds the trigger bar down when the safety is engaged. The levers are also sprung differently between the two.
Here is a shot of my P90 (notice the milled semi-circle for the safety lever) and one after I converted it to "decock only":
vhdh1t.jpg

tamst3.jpg

Regards,
Greg