P90 Trigger Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rat76

Single-Sixer
I have a P90, a P91 & a P85. The trigger on the P90 is the best of the lot. Fairly light pull & very nice feeling. However the other two have a heavier trigger pull. Is this normal or has the .45 been worked on. I am not original owner of any of these guns.

Second question, what can be done, inexpensively, to improve the triggers on the 85 & 91? I've had the P91 apart to polish the sear/hammer contact points. It had a gritty feel & some creep. Got rid of the gritty feel but still a little creep. The P85 feels fine just about twice as heavy a pull as the P90.

Thanks in advance.

JimEG

Bearcat
Many people contend that the trigger on the P90 is the best of all the Ruger P series pistols. I haven't shot any others besides my P90, so I cannot compare. I will say that I am very happy with the trigger pull on my pistol, and I can shoot better with it than on any other pistols that I have shot, with the exception of a Springfield Armory 1911 that I got to shoot a while back.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
My P95R is the same way. It's always been smooth but has a little creep to it. I guess I've just gotten used to it as I shoot it the best of anything I've got.

Orangeusa

Bearcat
I've got a P90, Beretta 92FS, and have tried 10-15 others at the range.

The P90 trigger is as good as ANY DA/SA I've ever shot. I know the Sig guys are going to go wild, but it's a subtle difference. Bottom line, it has a nice linear feel in SA.

Now, the 1911 is completely different - SA only, and OMG - hard to really fault the $$$$ 1911's I've shot... But they are 2-4 times AS EXPENSIVE as the P90...

The Beretta is okay, love the thing, but would have to give the nod to my stock P90 trigger...

Hope that helps. And to answer your question, I think it's completely stock. Check out Ayoobs' books - he loves the P90's....

Can't help you on the other PXX versions....

Huey Rider

Bearcat
I have to agree on the smoothness of the P90 trigger.I own a P89 & P90.I've taken down the P89 and smoothed up the trigger and hammer parts.I had previously had the springs changed out by a gunsmith to lighten the trigger pull and reduce recoil(I compete on a leage with it).I've done nothing to the P90.Holding one in each hand and dry firing,they are equally as smooth.The trigger pull on the P90 is actually 1/2 lb. less with stock springs.

Long live the P's!!

7mmb

Bearcat
The P90 has a different trigger than the P85, P89 and P91 and is better. Its not just a P89 with a bigger hole in the end but was reworked and built from the ground up to be a 45. You will notice that there is no external trigger plunger on the left side of the P90 like there is on the P85 and P91. My P90's trigger is lighter and a bit smoother than my P89 but the P89 is still a good trigger.